• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eve Audio SC305 Studio Monitor Review

Rate this Speaker

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 14.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters

3125b

Major Contributor
Not great, better then a 2-way of this design, but still.
Trading in lower distortion for worse directivity would be ok if it was only that, but this is twice the size and price of a regular 5“ monitor without better bass extension or anything of that kind.

respice finem

Major Contributor
One thing are the measurements and other the quailty of the drivers and how good they represent micro details. B&W 802 D1 measure far from flat but the level of detail you get are galaxies away from the 'flat kings' here aka Gens 8030 or Neumann KH120 ... and I can asure you have used all of them.
Actually I got the KH 310A, which would be more expensive, but was thinking, for closer comparison to the test object, of the cheaper Adam T8V and T5V.
Or, the JBL 308p Mk2 I got for my secondary setup:
Yes I know, 2-way, but much better "bang for the buck" IMHO.

The "level of detail" should be better in a 3-way speaker, but it not always really is.
Lower distortion should be the other strength, but it also not always is...

I'm generally very skeptical about any "properties" that aren't really backed by measurements. How to measure "level of detail"? If I compare the Neumann to the JBL directly, the Neumann seems to be a bit more detailed in midrange, indeed. But, only a bit, and that bit can be bias, since I can't blind test myself.

Last edited:

ssashton

Certainly impressive low bass distortion for a 5" driver. If you MUST have it on a meter bridge and not block vertical space I guess there is not much competition that will be better in terms of directivity.

A 2-way coaxial would be taller and have more limited dynamic range I expect. Still as a near-field I'd put driver integration over dynamic range.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor

Laniciffo

The Focal Alpha Twin Evo has the same 2.5 way design, but with front ports and for 550 €.
It has 3 amps (50+50+30W) and is rated for 108 dB max at 1 meter.
There is a switch to set the speaker to either left or right, meaning that the two 6.5 " drivers are exactly the same, just driven differently.
Following the good review on this site of its sister, the alpha 65 evo, I bought the twin as center speaker for my home cinema setup.
I hesitated to take this untested speaker but considering the non-MTM design and the good directivity of the 65 I still preferred the lower profile and 4 dB higher output.

The Focal design has the large drivers closer to each other than in the Eve audio speaker tested here, and the tweeter is shifted higher, but I can also very clearly hear the shift to the mid range side.
This is very distracting at short range with a single speaker but it does not bother me much from my couch roughly 3-4 m away from the screen and speaker.

Although I obviously can not test it, I suppose the source shift would not be a big problem in a stereo setup.

I have no measurements to back my impression, but I did not experience very large tonality changes depending on my seat position.

One issue though is a bad static probably due to a ground loop between the speaker and the denon avr x3600h single-ended pre out.
I still have to find a solution...
Would a pseudo symmetric xlr connection help?

HansHolland

Although Amir tested (always) 1 speaker (mono), this speaker is meant to be used in a pair (stereo).

And you can use it vertically.

Both will have a positive impact on the soundstaging.

I like them, just a bit expensive. I am waiting for an upgrade of this series (no, I don't know anything, just wishing).

Reactions: 617

dfuller

Major Contributor
I never really understood the fascination with Eve. They're essentially like very old generations of Adam monitors - this looks exactly like a smaller version of the (crappy) S3As I used to own.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I always thought that Eve Audio is sister company to Adam Audio.
Certainly impressive low bass distortion for a 5" driver. If you MUST have it on a meter bridge and not block vertical space I guess there is not much competition that will be better in terms of directivity.

A 2-way coaxial would be taller and have more limited dynamic range I expect. Still as a near-field I'd put driver integration over dynamic range.
You can turn the two way coaxial on its side. The kali in 5 are only like 7 unches/18cm high in this configuration.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Although Amir tested (always) 1 speaker (mono), this speaker is meant to be used in a pair (stereo).
I didn't get that impression from company website. It shows it as being a center speaker (can't link to the image): https://eve-audio.de/index.php?page=SC305#nogo

Edit: here is the image:

JoyArtStudio_08.jpg

Cars-N-Cans

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I didn't get that impression from company website. It shows it as being a center speaker (can't link to the image): https://eve-audio.de/index.php?page=SC305#nogo

JoyArtStudio_08.jpg
Maybe I’m being a bit pessimistic, but it seems to be a solution searching for a problem. In home cinema the 2.5 way design helps cure some of the issues with conventional MTM speakers that have to scoot under a flat-screen TV, but the only thing it really brings to an LCR mixing setup is maybe some enhanced SPL capabilities from having two woofers, and aesthetics, but then comes at the expense of reduced performance in terms of directivity. To me it’s potential utility would be in places where you have limited space but still want to have good monitors. There it at least provides some form of compromise.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's why I put "sub" in quotes. It is not a real sub but plays the same role for say, a 2-way speaker in bringing up lower end.
Wouldn't this be called a 2.5 way? The "sub" and the woofer plays in parallel up to a frequency which compensates for the baffle effect. In a 3-way, woofer and mid-woofer are "crossed" over.

What I fail to understand is how come they managed not to cut off the "sub" woofer properly and allowed driver break-up to mess the output while using an active crossover. Strange...

Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe I’m being a bit pessimistic, but it seems to be a solution searching for a problem. In home cinema the 2.5 way design helps cure some of the issues with conventional MTM speakers that have to scoot under a flat-screen TV, but the only thing it really brings to an LCR mixing setup is maybe some enhanced SPL capabilities from having two woofers, and aesthetics, but then comes at the expense of reduced performance in terms of directivity. To me it’s potential utility would be in places where you have limited space but still want to have good monitors. There it at least provides some form of compromise.
Perhaps it intentionally simulates the compromised directivity of the end user's transducers

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

JoyArtStudio_08.jpg
They could have used smaller driver and place the tweeter inline with one of the drivers. They would reduce the dispersion anomalies while keeping the height manageable and the piston area the same.

Wait! Someone actually did that 30 years ago :)

Top Bottom