• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac DBR62 amplifier recommendation

Gamebox

Hello,

First off, I’m pretty new to this hobby, so please excuse any missused terms.

I started out with the B&W 606 speakers paired with the Bluesound powernode 2i and the ASW608 (8’’ active subwoofer from B&W). I enjoyed the sound from these for a long time as I came from a 5.1 satellite speaker setup, but after a while I noticed that I got tired of listening to my setup as it was to bright(?).

I burchased the Elac DBR62 after reading about them in this forum, and paired it with the Audiolab 6000a after viewing some youtube video where this pairing was recommended. It was a very nice upgrade from the b&w/powernode setup.

I added two rel tzero after getting them used for a really good price, but it seemed the little extra power they drew, or just the fact that i turned the volume a bit higher overloaded the amp. As I can’t run this setup at the volumes I would like, I need a new amp.

What would be a good pairing for these speakers and the rel’s? Note that I’ve been using the internal dac of the Audiolab so I would need a dac as well if it’s not integrated with the amp.

I live in Norway so it should be available in Europe.

Max budget around 1000 usd/euro

edit, concern from the review:

1663930003215.png

Last edited:

Triliza

Forum Donor
On the DBR62 review topic, people are using all kind of amps (topping PA5, Aiyima A07 etc) to drive them without any problem. Is the Audiolab 6000a able to drive them to your satisfaction without the subs?

If you want a new amp, you can choose from Yamaha, NAD, or buy from Audiophonics something like this and pair it with a ~200 euro Topping or SMLS dac. If you want something to make it easy to integrate your subs and get room correction, consider buying a Hypex Ncore NC252MP and a MiniDSP flex (with Dirac it is more that your allocated budget).

OP
G

Gamebox

Does all these audiophonics amps require a preamp? Because I don’t have one.
On the DBR62 review topic, people are using all kind of amps (topping PA5, Aiyima A07 etc) to drive them without any problem. Is the Audiolab 6000a able to drive them to your satisfaction without the subs?

If you want a new amp, you can choose from Yamaha, NAD, or buy from Audiophonics something like this and pair it with a ~200 euro Topping or SMLS dac. If you want something to make it easy to integrate your subs and get room correction, consider buying a Hypex Ncore NC252MP and a MiniDSP flex (with Dirac it is more that your allocated budget).
I never pushed them as hard as with the subs connected, and I haven’t been able to test it without the subs this week. But before I got them there was no issue.

What is the spesification I need to look at to understand if any of the amps I look at is able to drive the DBR62?

Last edited:

delta76

Major Contributor
Does all these audiophonics amps require a preamp? Because I don’t have one.

I never pushed them as hard as with the subs connected, and I haven’t been able to test it without the subs this week. But before I got them there was no issue.

What is the spesification I need to look at to understand if any of the amps I look at is able to drive the DBR62?
For simplicity, you can consider an used AVR. A flagship from 10 years ago has about 150wpc for 2 channel, enough to drive your elac, and it has all kind of inputs you might want to use. Typically 300euro or less.

Yes I would recommend hypex builds if you are building a stack. But if you want simplicity and convenience, room correction included, nothing beats an avr

Triliza

Forum Donor
I don't know much about subs and how you would connect them to your Audiolab 6000a, but is it possible you are doing it the wrong way? Your subs are active ones, so they shouldn't need any power from the amp. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can offer some insight.

The audiophonics shouldn't need an preamp, most dacs should be able to provide the needed voltage (as I understand it) and you can control the volume on the dac. You shouldn't need anything special to drive DBR62, most bookshelf speakers need more power due to size and design, but any of the above audiophonics should have plenty of power.

OP
G

Gamebox

I don't know much about subs and how you would connect them to your Audiolab 6000a, but is it possible you are doing it the wrong way? Your subs are active ones, so they shouldn't need any power from the amp. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can offer some insight.

The audiophonics shouldn't need an preamp, most dacs should be able to provide the needed voltage (as I understand it) and you can control the volume on the dac. You shouldn't need anything special to drive DBR62, most bookshelf speakers need more power due to size and design, but any of the above audiophonics should have plenty of power.
I’m pretty sure I connected them correctly. However I believe the issue is that I just run them at higher volumes after connecting the subs as they allow a more balanced sound, if that makes any sense.

Triliza

Forum Donor
I’m pretty sure I connected them correctly. However I believe the issue is that I just run them at higher volumes after connecting the subs as they allow a more balanced sound, if that makes any sense.
Ok, but by relieving them of playing low frequencies they should need less power, at what frequency do you do the crossover thing?

PS: I really should stop talking about subs as I don't have any experience with them o_O

OP
G

Gamebox

Ok, but by relieving them of playing low frequencies they should need less power, at what frequency do you do the crossover thing?

PS: I really should stop talking about subs as I don't have any experience with them o_O
The rel’s connect to the speaker terminals. You feed them the whole frequency spectrum, but the resistance is so high that it doesn’t use much of the power. If I understand it correctlt.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Turn down your subs. Mine are at -10db.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Get a Yamaha R-N803 if you like it, they are discontinued but there are some left (new) in EU for 800~850€. Get rid of Bluesound powernode 2i which really isn't great (it's good enough for network streaming only).

OP
G

Gamebox

Get a Yamaha R-N803 if you like it, they are discontinued but there are some left (new) in EU for 800~850€. Get rid of Bluesound powernode 2i which really isn't great (it's good enough for network streaming only).
I just closed a deal on the Yamaha A-S1100. Hope it will work out great in my setup.

Thanks for all the recommendations!

DMill

I just closed a deal on the Yamaha A-S1100. Hope it will work out great in my setup.

Thanks for all the recommendations!
It’s really nice. I have one.

DMill

Cool. What speakers and dac do you have?
I use it with ELAC Carina bookshelves and an SVS sub. It really is nice. In all honesty, I probably would’ve been just as happy with the Yamaha AS801 which performs about the same and saved myself $1k. But I don’t roll through gear and decided to treat myself to a bit of bling.

OP
G

Gamebox

I use it with ELAC Carina bookshelves and an SVS sub. It really is nice. In all honesty, I probably would’ve been just as happy with the Yamaha AS801 which performs about the same and saved myself $1k. But I don’t roll through gear and decided to treat myself to a bit of bling.
Nice.

I got it for 9000 norwegian krone, which is 850 usd at the moment.

DMill

Nice.

I got it for 9000 norwegian krone, which is 850 usd at the moment.
You got a spectacular deal on that. In the States $1500 used would be a good price. Enjoy.

Top Bottom