• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX1 mini desktop DAC & AMP

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
"Chi-fi has one problem in general - artificially sounding through an amazing amount of feedback - because how else do they pull out such a SINAD? NF kills the naturalness of the sound."

Could any of you relate to this?
Is it BS?
Yes, it is BS. Feedback is used in a ton of your devices in everyday life. Nothing "unnatural" about it. Reducing distortion is key in high fidelity and negative feedback (or feedforward) are the only ways to get there. To claim that dirtier response is better for you without feedback is just folklore people have made up.

elole

Sorry if there is already a thread or guide on this.

I'm curious which has more room on the knob for volume adjustment for iems, Topping E30 II (already have a D30pro to go with it) or DX1, on their lowest gain. I have an Atom amp but it doesnt give much room for adjustment as it gets too loud past 10 o'clock.

Based on their specs.
DX1:
  • Output level
    • 2.2Vpp (low gain)
  • Gain
    • -2dB (Vrms/FS) (low gain)
E30II:
  • Output level
    • Low gain: 14Vpp
  • Gain
    • Low gain: -14dB
How could I calculate the loudness/output power with these specs? Thanks

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
The L30 ii seems extremely suitable with its -14dB low gain... :)

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, it is BS. Feedback is used in a ton of your devices in everyday life. Nothing "unnatural" about it. Reducing distortion is key in high fidelity and negative feedback (or feedforward) are the only ways to get there. To claim that dirtier response is better for you without feedback is just folklore people have made up.
Oh, and that's the answer I meant, thank you. There is nothing to argue.

elole

The L30 ii seems extremely suitable with its -14dB low gain... :)
Hmm i used a calculator I found on google, -14dB is equivalent to 20% of 0dB? And -2dB is 80% of 0dB. but what should I put here? -> ____ x 20/80% = final output.

Should I just take the output power in mW from their specs? Sorry I'm just beginning to question how this works lol.

Veri

Master Contributor
Hmm i used a calculator I found on google, -14dB is equivalent to 20% of 0dB? And -2dB is 80% of 0dB. but what should I put here? -> ____ x 20/80% = final output.

Should I just take the output power in mW from their specs? Sorry I'm just beginning to question how this works lol.
IIRC -6dB is a halving of effective volume so -14dB is quite a lot of attenuation.

staticV3

Master Contributor
IIRC -6dB is a halving of effective volume so -14dB is quite a lot of attenuation.
FactorAndDecibel01.gif
-6dB halves the voltage, -10dB halves the perceived loudness.
More here.

Blorg

I gotta give Topping credit: they definitely are not afraid to cannibalize the sales of their higher-end models. Here they've got a $99 desktop box that runs off bus power and manages to put out distortion and noise levels that most manufacturers aren't matching at any price. And although Topping has models that beat this one handily, almost nobody actually needs that level of performance. For a lot of people, it's tough to justify paying eight times as much for a Topping DX7+ Pro, just to get your SINAD even *more* inaudible.
It's a much lower power device though. It's closer in power output to higher powered dongles than the likes of the DX3 Pro+. It's actually near identical power to the Moondrop MoonRiver2 dongle, for example, the MoonRiver2 actually beats it with higher impedance, over 32Ω, it's a little better. DX1 is a little better at 16Ω. The Moondrop dongle has broadly similar or slightly better noise performance too.

Moondrop MoonRiver2 dongle (balanced):
BAL-THDN-Ratio-vs-Measured-Level-2.jpg

Topping DX1:
1663622326-THDN-Ratio-vs-Measured-Level.jpg

The DX1 is specified at 280mW @32Ω, 190mW @64Ω, 51mW @300Ω.

While for low impedances, the E1DA dongle claims 340mW @32Ω, 550mW @16Ω. Amir measured 219mW @50Ω.

The Topping DX3 Pro+ by contrast, is specified at 1.8W @32Ω, 900mW @64Ω, 250mW @300Ω. Amir measured 257mw @300Ω and 1.5W @32Ω. So I'm not sure it's really competing with that, it's a different category of thing.

I'm not saying this doesn't have a place or a benefit over a dongle, it is doing this with two convenient single ended outputs and has a big volume knob, two things many will want. A dongle on the other hand is more compact and portable and you can use it with your PC or phone. Just pointing out that it's not really in the same class power-wise as even most "entry level" desktop amps or amp/DAC combos. Most of them will do more like 1W-2W into 32Ω.

Apart from the dongles, it would be competing also with the likes of the iFi Zen DAC (not the CAN, which is far more powerful) and it seems to do a lot better than that (in both SNR/noise and power).

mnotik

I replaced my e30/l30 combo with a qudelix 5k just because the 30s required RCA cables, power adapters, usb power and data cables, this DX1 looks very apealing with its small footprint and single usb cable.... I was even thinking on a G5 to save space but I will probably wait for the DX1 II version.....after my exprience with the 30 combo.

MKreroo

On it's product page it mentioned about filtering out noise from USB power, I wonder if that can remedy ground loop issue when using the line-out, given that the device is USB powered.....

mnotik

curiosity got the best of me...just ordered one :) I will post impressions once I receive it

can anyone recommend similar USB powered only, small footprint desktop dac/amp? I had a fostex HP-a3, its form/options was close to perfect to my liking but its measured performance was very poor...

mnotik

@mnotik Competitors to the Topping NX1 are: Fiio E10K-TC, Fiio New K3, ifi Zen Air DAC

from pictures it seems that ifi Zen Air has a 5v connector at the back, so it is not really in the same category.

I really like small single cord units, they are very convenient, lets hope that with more efficient chip we get more options in the market.

Fiio K3 looks nice, but the DX1 measures better!

staticV3

Master Contributor
@mnotik The Zen Air DAC's 5V barrel plug is optional. Power and data can both be supplied via USB.

Gremildo

Hi!
Questions about vol knob:
1. it controls both headphone and RCA outputs? (I use mostly studio monitors, HP for check)
2. Pluging the headphones disable the dac RCA outputs?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Lifu

The volume knob doesn't control the RCA outputs. It would have been the perfect device if it did. Such a waste.

I went for the L30+E30, but it's still too big.
I want something in a tiny package for laptop gaming to carry with me. A mic input with a dedicated volume knob, RCA output, volume controlled, and a manual selector for both gain and output switch like on L30. Just enough power to drive IEMs without hissing and 250 Ohms Beyerdynamic headphones. Everything for under $150. Maybe one day...

Gremildo

The volume knob doesn't control the RCA outputs. It would have been the perfect device if it did. Such a waste.

I went for the L30+E30, but it's still too big.
I want something in a tiny package for laptop gaming to carry with me. A mic input with a dedicated volume knob, RCA output, volume controlled, and a manual selector for both gain and output switch like on L30. Just enough power to drive IEMs without hissing and 250 Ohms Beyerdynamic headphones. Everything for under $150. Maybe one day...
Thanks Lifu!
I'm using a Focusrite 2I2 (1°gen) for mix and mastering and I want something better principally as a DAC. Seems the DX3 pro+ does what I need (correct?).

Last edited:

Sharpi31

Forum Donor
I bought a DX1 for my bedside bargain IEM setup. Raspberry Pi 4 running Volumio (with FusionDSP for EQ, crossfeed, loudness), USB connection to DX1, then headphones (Truthear X Crinacle Zero, Moondrop Aria, K371 etc.). Amazing setup for $150 (Pi4 & DX1).

The DX1 has plenty of power, but I don’t listen at high volume. Sounds perfectly clear to me, with only a tiny channel imbalance at the very bottom of the volume range (completely normal for a good analogue pot).

4CEB2925-CD94-497F-8051-2FF7087DBA10.jpeg

Top Bottom