• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Really need advice finishing my project!

Carguy

Hello, new to the forum and looking for advice from the experts. I am building my retirement home and decided to get the system I always wanted but of course I am running into pitfalls and budget constraints. My room is 20L X 13W X 8H walled on 3 sides with no windows, open floorplan to the kitchen on the right side if your facing the TV. I plan to run an Atmos setup, 2 front towers (RF-82) next to the screen pointed in to seating position, center, rear surrounds (RS-42) hanging on the wall behind the couch at ear level. Looking at 4 Yamaha NSIC800WH Ceiling speakers, 2 behind the couch, 2 in front. Is there a better option in that general price range for the ceiling speakers?

I bought a Samsung Lsp9t UST projector with a 128 inch screen. I plan to buy a Denon AVR-X3700H Receiver, is this the best choice for the under 2k budget?

I did not plan well for the size of the screen with the projector so I need to replace my Klipsch RC-62 center speaker with a smaller one (mine is too big and puts a shadow on the screen), I am looking at the Klipsch R34C, will it sound as good as or better than the RC-62 is there a better option? The center will be just below the screen 12 inches off the ground, do I need to angle it up?

My original Klipsch rw-12d that I loved died so I replaced it with an R-12sw and am not happy at all with it, so I plan to use it for my second sub in the back of the room behind the couch. I am looking at the R-112sw or Monolith 12inch THX ultra. Which is better? Is there a better option under 1k? I plan to place it at the front on the left wall.

I am sorry to be long winded with so many questions, but this is my first time with a system this complicated (for me) and I have spent hours researching to get to this point. Having a hard time figuring out placement, heights and spacing (couch will be 2 to 3 foot off back wall). On speaker choices I would like to stick with Klipsch if the sound quality is there (wife wants it to match what we have) Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• TV Room.jpg
    TV Room.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 88

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My room is 20L X 13W X 8H walled on 3 sides with no windows, open floorplan to the kitchen
Can you give a better floor layout diagram. With all this volume and open space you're going to need some serious speaker power.

OP
C

Carguy

Can you give a better floor layout diagram. With all this volume and open space you're going to need some serious speaker power.
The attached picture shows the basic plan. Ceilings are 8 ft high, left wall if you are facing the screen is about 19.5 ft. screen wall is 13 feet, back wall is 13 feet, right side facing the screen is open to the kitchen dining area. Couch is 2 to 3 foot from the back wall. Thank You.

OP
C

Carguy

Hopefully this helps a little more.

Attachments

• Rough plans.jpeg
    Rough plans.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 82

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you intend on placing the front speakers on that 12.5 foot wall that is the worst place to locate them in that living space. The sofa should be turned around and made into a cubby with the speakers coming out of the corner on the wall that is 19.75 long.

OP
C

Carguy

If you intend on placing the front speakers on that 12.5 foot wall that is the worst place to locate them in that living space. The sofa should be turned around and made into a cubby with the speakers coming out of the corner on the wall that is 19.75 long.
That is what I really wanted to do and my initial plan, but I am building this above my shop and the wall drops down to 7 foot on that wall so the screen and projector will not fit. I am hoping with the atmos ceiling speakers instead of middle surrounds it will counteract the opening imbalance some. I will admit I am acoustically challenged.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmmz... 2 big gables from the sounds of it I'm guessing. If the display is that big then it is what it is. What else is going on?

OP
C

Carguy

Hmmz... 2 big gables from the sounds of it I'm guessing. If the display is that big then it is what it is. What else is going on?
Yes, it is a two story Steel shop building that my wifes business is in. I am retiring soon so we downsized and are building an apartment above the shop. In hindsight I wish I would have bought a little smaller screen, but the investment is made and I really do like the size, I just hope it does not kill the sound too much. I was moderately happy with the sound in my old house that was even worse for acoustics, lol. Was hoping to do a purpose built fully enclosed theatre room, but.....marriage is compromise :) Any opinions on the equipment choices i havent already purchased, or ways to make up for the acoustical shortcomings? My only option with a larger center speaker would be to mount it above the screen tilting steeply down to listening position, would that be better than the smaller r34c speaker at 12 inches high with a small tilt up to listening position?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Something may be done about the severe left to right imbalance due to the corner located at the left speaker and no corner at the right speaker. PEQ, DSP, porting etc can all improve things. Unfortunately your main front speakers are rear ported but are efficient and 8 Ohms.
zzzzz Screenshot 2022-09-23 123241.png

OP
C

Carguy

Something may be done about the severe left to right imbalance due to the corner located at the left speaker and no corner at the right speaker. PEQ, DSP, porting etc can all improve things. Unfortunately your main front speakers are rear ported but are efficient and 8 Ohms.
View attachment 232824
So that gave me an interesting thought, we are starting drywall Monday, so i conceivably have time this weekend to make a sort corner on that open right side would a one to two foot short wall in that corner make a significant enough difference to justify the building it?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So that gave me an interesting thought, we are starting drywall Monday, so i conceivably have time this weekend to make a sort corner on that open right side would a one to two foot short wall in that corner make a significant enough difference to justify the building it?
A small wall will make a difference. I would lean towards 32" or so dependent on stud layout.

OP
C

Carguy

So the wife vetoed the short wall, but in a compromise I bought an AVR-X6700H. I am hoping the higher power output, extra channels and better room correction offset my layout shortcomings. I will use a Klipsch R-34C center, Klipsch RF-82 fronts, SVS SB 2000 Pro sub in the back of the room, Klipsch R-12 Sub in the front, 4 Klipsch CDT-3800-C II in the ceiling and 4 RS-42 surrounds. The attached diagram shows the plan, open to any other comments/suggestions.

Attachments

• Plan.pdf
    283.8 KB · Views: 38

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
SVS SB 2000 Pro sub
Klipsch R-12 Sub in the front
better room correction offset my layout shortcomings.
All are going to be a very big help in tuning that room. Brute force is going to be very helpful with all those drivers and subwoofers operating to compensate for the location of that right speaker.

For the Denon receiver (Nice choice) plan to keep the airflow around it free of obstructions. Some peeps are using a small fan (120mm or 140mm is very good.) on top to make a considerable difference in the operating temperature of the amp modules inside of it. Also the processor PCB has hot running ICs that would love some extra cooling and will benefit greatly from the single fan. Life expectancy runs about 50% to 70% less for every 10C increase so you can see how it affects the devices. So... before you wire all that stuff to the Denon find a location that has good airflow enough room for a auxiliary fan and such that if you need to service it you can access it. AS you can see there is going to be a jungle of wires connected to the rear of the Denon.
z denon.png

Attachments

• z denon.png
    z denon.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 33
OP
C

Carguy

All are going to be a very big help in tuning that room. Brute force is going to be very helpful with all those drivers and subwoofers operating to compensate for the location of that right speaker.

For the Denon receiver (Nice choice) plan to keep the airflow around it free of obstructions. Some peeps are using a small fan (120mm or 140mm is very good.) on top to make a considerable difference in the operating temperature of the amp modules inside of it. Also the processor PCB has hot running ICs that would love some extra cooling and will benefit greatly from the single fan. Life expectancy runs about 50% to 70% less for every 10C increase so you can see how it affects the devices. So... before you wire all that stuff to the Denon find a location that has good airflow enough room for a auxiliary fan and such that if you need to service it you can access it. AS you can see there is going to be a jungle of wires connected to the rear of the Denon.
View attachment 233394
That is an excellent suggestion, I plan to have the receiver on a shelf, open air free of obstruction, but I think a fan would add that extra amount of protection. Thank you for all of your help.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That is an excellent suggestion, I plan to have the receiver on a shelf, open air free of obstruction, but I think a fan would add that extra amount of protection. Thank you for all of your help.
If you run it without the fan and then with the fan just touching it will indicate a big improvement in operating temperature. Some peeps here at ASR run those fans and the Denon receivers went from feeling warm-hot to cool to the touch. So no fancy temp measuring rig is required because the improvement is so substantial.

I don't remember if the AVR-X6700H has a EQ/PEQ but I did notice in the features list it has, "Audyssey Dynamic EQ.". But if you have a PC as a source you can run a parametric EQ. I recommend Equalizer APO and then if you want a snazzy display of the PEQ with a ton of features then add the Peace EQ skin option to EQ APO and you'll be set and ready to go. They are both free. If you want to mic your system and calibrate it with a microphone then buy this calibrated mic and use REW which is also free.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Been doing some research in this area myself for different application that's not HT. Please read up on Di-pole speakers that are placed in the ceiling at each end of the couch. Di-poles are a set of conjoined speakers out of phase with each other to create void of sound in the middle used primarily in surround applications where placement is difficult. The rears should be monopoles (direct) or bipoles (direct + diffuse).
pole-illustrations.jpg

Agree with the Dood, if long wall is anyway possible use it so viewing from all spaces is possible. Nice for casual or group entertainment.

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you considered a short throw projector for the long wall. A pricey alternative FYI

Top Bottom