• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does anybody actually listen to "Hotel California" outside of gear demos? (answer: apparently so)

Axo1989

Major Contributor
If people can admit that they may have once liked, maybe even loved a song I can't fathom why they would "never want to hear that song again" based on it being overplayed, overexposed, overused etc. Familiarity breeds contempt?
If it's a good song that is all that matters to me. It's not the songs' "fault" that it's been played into the ground. And besides, where the heck are you listening or hearing music that is beyond your control? Is someone holding a gun to your head? Why would you let someone else, corporation or next door neighbor alter your choices and taste?
Stairway? Sweet Emotion? Hotel California? Come on. If you are into hard rock those are great songs. Period. Do they become not great, in and of themselves based on the number of times played or heard?
Another perspective. I play rock guitar. Baddly, amateurishly. If you've ever had a slight desire to learn guitar starting from zero experience let me tell you these songs are awesomely rewarding to learn. Its easy to write these song off, and many like them as overplayed. But try and learn the first phrase of Stairway for yourself and you'll realize its freaking hard to play cleanly. Easy to learn, hard to master.
Now I will come off my high horse and admit that I don't love Freebird. Yes, it's true. I do get and can understand everyones desire to "never hear" at least some songs again!
But I guess what I'm trying to say is if you loved it before, what changed? Because it wasn't the song.

Nothing changed, I imagine. But when those threads start here up decrying modern music and yearning for rock classics from the time before bass, I just think of schmaltz like that and have a laugh.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing changed, I imagine. But when those threads start here up decrying modern music and yearning for rock classics from the time before bass, I just think of schmaltz like that and have a laugh.
LOL the time before bass! Like that!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
There's no point here, just venting. But if I never hear this song again, it will be too soon.
The only point you made is you have your musical taste in your rectum.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The only point you made is you have your musical taste in your rectum.
It's one thing to treat something with taste and the other extreme that's more like the proverbial beating of a dead horse....pop music can vary like that. Kinda like Steely Dan.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It's one thing to treat something with taste and the other extreme that's more like the proverbial beating of a dead horse....pop music can vary like that. Kinda like Steely Dan.
Naw Chrispy, The OP was just trying to make the point that he is of such superior intellect and taste that he can go out of his way to start a thread belittling millions of others and think that's OK. We've all had music that was played to death on radio, etc till we were sick of it. OTOH The Eagles along with Hotel CA did touch millions around the world and still does today, Not many can lay claim to that.
Let's see,
1978 Awards: Grammy Award for Record of the Year, Grammy Hall of Fame Grammy Award for Song Of The Year, Grammy Award for Best Pop Performance,
1996 Grammy For Best Rock Performance
There's so much more.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Same for me here in Australia. I hadn't heard of Lynryd Skynrd until maybe 7 years ago and didn't bother to dig into the music.

I still don’t know who they are, but I’m impressed with pre-gen Z vowel-dropping

Edit: I’m also from Oz

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I assumed the forum would generally agree with me, so I didn't think about how it might go if they didn't. Now I can see I was being an ass in public. Live and learn.

Music is just so personal and so subjective. We've all made statements about music we don't like or think is crap, only to get shot down by a cohort that loves it. As you say, we live and we learn. Thanks for owning it. Cheers.

oceansize

Forum Donor
I still don’t know who they are, but I’m impressed with pre-gen Z vowel-dropping

Edit: I’m also from Oz
Their "One More From The Road" was one of those classic '70s double live LPs and is well worth a listen, even now. I agree with the OP about Hotel California though :)

MCH

Major Contributor
Is the label AOR still in use?
If yes, this is a prime example. Delete it from history and nothing bad happens (except for Big Lebowski). I like this anecdote about getting the rights to use Dead Flowers in B.L. soundtrack:

"A tougher get was Townes Van Zandt's cover of the Rolling Stones' "Dead Flowers," which plays over Lebowski's closing credits. "[Former Stones manager] Allen Klein owns the rights to it," Burnett says. "He wanted $150,000." Burnett begged Klein to just come down and watch an early cut of Lebowski. "It got to the part where the Dude says, 'I hate the fuckin' Eagles, man!' Klein stands up and says, 'That's it, you can have the song!' That was beautiful." For the record, Burnett agrees with the Dude ("[The Eagles] sort of single-handedly destroyed that whole scene that was brewing back then," he says), but the line infuriated Glenn Frey. "I ran into [Frey] and he gave me some shit," Jeff Bridges says. "I can't remember what he said exactly, but my **** tightened a bit."
[From Issue 1060 — September 4, 2008]

oceansize

Forum Donor
Is the label AOR still in use?
If yes, this is a prime example. Delete it from history and nothing bad happens (except for Big Lebowski). I like this anecdote about getting the rights to use Dead Flowers in B.L. soundtrack:

"A tougher get was Townes Van Zandt's cover of the Rolling Stones' "Dead Flowers," which plays over Lebowski's closing credits. "[Former Stones manager] Allen Klein owns the rights to it," Burnett says. "He wanted $150,000." Burnett begged Klein to just come down and watch an early cut of Lebowski. "It got to the part where the Dude says, 'I hate the fuckin' Eagles, man!' Klein stands up and says, 'That's it, you can have the song!' That was beautiful." For the record, Burnett agrees with the Dude ("[The Eagles] sort of single-handedly destroyed that whole scene that was brewing back then," he says), but the line infuriated Glenn Frey. "I ran into [Frey] and he gave me some shit," Jeff Bridges says. "I can't remember what he said exactly, but my **** tightened a bit."
[From Issue 1060 — September 4, 2008]

Lol. 100% agree.

I'm a big fan of Richard Thompson, and thought that I couldn't love him more - until I discovered that he'd turned down the chance to join the Eagles! :D

Reactions: MCH

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
until I discovered that he'd turned down the chance to join the Eagles!
I'm pretty sure it was to replace Robbie Robertson in The Band that RT turned down. I hadn't heard he was invited to join the Eagles. Can't think of a worse fit in either case ...

oceansize

Forum Donor
I'm pretty sure it was to replace Robbie Robertson in The Band that RT turned down. I hadn't heard he was invited to join the Eagles. Can't think of a worse fit in either case ...
"He makes a fleeting reference to jamming with the then-fledgling Eagles in Los Angeles in 1971. But he downplays just how eager the soon-to-be high flying American band was to have him join their ranks, an experience he described in greater detail in a 1996 Union-Tribune.

“I was in Ian Matthews’ band, and I think we met when they weren’t quite the Eagles — they were still Linda Ronstadt’s band — at Duke’s Diner,” Thompson recalled in that interview.

“It was something like: ‘Hey! You English guys must come to our rehearsal place, and you’ll play for us and we’ll play for you.’ Ian and I had a listen, and the Eagles sounded pretty stunningly tight, playing things from what would be their first album. And that was all fun. Then we ‘hung out’ a bit, as they say, on tour. I only heard about it (being considered as an Eagle) later from management people. I never was directly approached.”

However, during a a 2017 Union-Tribune interview, Fairport Convention alum Matthews said: “The Eagles didn’t really give me a second look, but they were clearly very, very interested in Richard.”

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/entertainment/music/story/2021-04-18/richard-thompson-a-quiet-legend-pens-revelatory-memoir-it-was-necessary-to-write-about-the-hooker

*edit*
I wonder if he would have joined The Band, if asked? He was certainly a big fan and their influence on leading Fairport Convention to develop British folk-rock is undeniable. But just look at the joy on his face here as he plays with Garth Hudson...

Last edited:

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
Might be more a US thing?
I thnk I was aware of both The Eagles and Lynryd Skynrd in the late 70s/early 80s in Britain. I certainly remember around 1980 one of my less hip guitar playing friends incessantly attempting to play Freebird. But there were much more interesting thing happening in Britain at the time, i.e. Punk, and The Eagles were basically the epitome of what music should not be like.

I think it's only since the advent of cheap streaming that I have listened to an Eagles or Lynryd Skynrd album all the way through. Suffice to say I haven't repeated the exercise ... ;-)

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
I wonder if he would have joined The Band, if asked?
I think he was asked, and was tempted, but declined because he didn't think The Band was really a viable entity by that time. Also his musical vocabulary is very resolutely British and The Band's quite obviously not ...

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

On a different path in my music listening journey but ... Hotel California is a Classic. One may no longer like it, that's part of the human growth, I guess.
It remains a Classic , one of the greatest songs of the last century. Waiting for this century to produce similar, well written, well composed, well played, well recorded songs.

And please people, in the name of ...whatever... Don't attempt to bash "Stairway to Heaven", even when we knew that such is doomed to failure anyway ..
If one has nothing positive and reverent to say about this Masterpiece... Silence is the only alternative.

Last edited:

mglobe

Forum Donor
Unlike The Dude, I don’t hate The Eagles, but I don’t love them either. Nice music, catchy lyrics, good guitar licks (once Walsh joined), and good recordings. I don’t know if familiarity bred contempt, or if I grew to see the insipidness of the music. I can listen to great covers of it, but can’t bring myself to play the original on my stereo. Stairway is the same way. In fact with the exception of the popular songs from Darkside of the Moon, there are few cuts with mega airplay that I can listen to on my home system.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
"In fact with the exception of the popular songs from Darkside of the Moon, there are few cuts with mega airplay that I can listen to on my home system."

Over the last week I've been too consumed listening to the just released, incredible sounding, James Guthrie 5.1 channel remix of Pink Floyd - Animals.
We've waited years for this one due to Roger Waters ego and just generally being a wanker.
Awesome job James!
folder.jpg

Top Bottom