• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 II DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 22 6.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 103 31.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 57.2%

• Total voters

Toku

Major Contributor
Hi,

Reading here: https://hifigo.com/products/topping-e30-ii

>MQA Support over USB, Coaxial, and Optical Inputs.

Is that correct?. It means it's capable of rendering or full decoding over the three inputs?.
E30 ll does not have MQA function. It was incorrectly listed in the initial product information. The information at that time has been posted as it is to the product commentary of the shop and has not been corrected yet.
Topping's HP article has already been corrected

Last edited:

HappyMetalGuy

Means capable.
Hi,

Reading here: https://hifigo.com/products/topping-e30-ii

>MQA Support over USB, Coaxial, and Optical Inputs.

Is that correct?. It means it's capable of rendering or full decoding over the three inputs?.

It doesn't decode mqa but it reads mqa as normal flac, not bad.

Miika

Received e30ii/l30ii stack today to replace my e30/l30 stack.
I didn't expect to hear actually this much of a difference :oops:
I live in an old apartment so maybe it's the dirty power from the wall or something, but this new combo "breathes" so much better at the higher frequencies.
I can actually hear good separation there now with Hifiman Sundara.
Maybe this is why music also seems to have more depth and listening volume can be turned louder without getting harsh sound.

Toku

Major Contributor
Received e30ii/l30ii stack today to replace my e30/l30 stack.
I didn't expect to hear actually this much of a difference :oops:
I live in an old apartment so maybe it's the dirty power from the wall or something, but this new combo "breathes" so much better at the higher frequencies.
I can actually hear good separation there now with Hifiman Sundara.
Maybe this is why music also seems to have more depth and listening volume can be turned louder without getting harsh sound.
The other day I posted my impressions of switching from E30 to E30ll in #626, and I agree with you about sound quality. When you switch between the two and compare them, you can feel a clear improvement in sound quality. I also thought that there was almost no change in sound quality before purchasing, but this is a happy miscalculation.

Miika

The other day I posted my impressions of switching from E30 to E30ll in #626, and I agree with you about sound quality. When you switch between the two and compare them, you can feel a clear improvement in sound quality. I also thought that there was almost no change in sound quality before purchasing, but this is a happy miscalculation.

Do you happen to know if e30ii can be set to dac -mode like the original?
So that volume is always at max and screen shows sample rate. Currently it says "-00.0 db" on the screen.
Not really a problem but it will always be running at full volume so might aswell see sample rate on the screen

staticV3

Master Contributor
It's all in the manual:
Screenshot_20220916-163808__01.jpg

Toku

Major Contributor
So that volume is always at max and screen shows sample rate. Currently it says "-00.0 db" on the screen.
Not really a problem but it will always be running at full volume so might aswell see sample rate on the screen
Your current E30 ll is running in Pre mode.
As @staticV3 explained, how to switch to DAC mode is written in the manual.
The explanation may be a little difficult to understand, but please try to operate as instructed.

Haslar

Ok, so I received my Topping E30ii and tried it in my system yesterday.
I used a Marantz CD63 KI Signature as a transport, and used a pair of KEF LS50 Wireless MkII .

I A/B/C'ed the 3 DACs:
  • the Marantz's
  • the Topping E30ii
  • the KEF LS50's
I played Buena Vista Social Club, and Johnny Cash's American Recordings vol.6 as reference CDs.

This is a purely subjective review, of course, FWIW.
My spouse and I found it hard to distinguish between the Topping and the KEF's internal DAC. I may have perceived a bit more detail & dynamics with the Topping, but that could just be some psychoacoustic artifact.
Anyway, the fact that the €150 Topping is equally as good (to these ears) as the DAC inside the 2500€ KEF LS50s speaks volumes.

The Marantz' DAC, while still perfectly adequate for me, sounded maybe slightly muffled compared to both the E30ii and the LS50 DAC. Hardly surprising, as it dates back to the mid-90s.

Concerning the aformentioned "treble harshness" of the E30ii: I heard none of this. I heard no difference in treble content between all 3 DACs.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Anyway, the fact that the €150 Topping is equally as good (to these ears) as the DAC inside the 2500€ KEF LS50s speaks volumes.
It does, but perhaps not in the way you think.
The DAC inside the KEF is most likely pretty low spec and a lot less performant than the E30II.
However, any difference in fidelity is masked by the amplifiers' noise, the distortion of the drivers, and last but not least, your ears.

Last edited:

Mudflapper

Yes, any shed of credibility was lost at that time.
I like the guy. He seems genuine, and he's legit funny. He's able to make money doing what he loves to do and I can't begrudge him that.

And he actually doesn't love the E30II and he lated the original E30. He seems to not enjoy AKM DACs. Although he does love the latest Geshelli.

All's I know is that I just bought one, I just hooked up a 1987 Nakamichi SR-2A to my 1999 Boston Acoustics CR8's and I'm in heaven. I cannot stop smiling. Even giggling. I'm re-listening to every track I've ever loved and it's like hearing it for the first time.

Artzox

I just have to say that I coughed up the dough for Ares II and I am lacking the adjectives to describe how happy I am.
I tried to like the E30II, I really did!
But one sounds like an imitation of what music is supposed to sound like and the other sounds like you are in the music.
I can describe with wide soundstage, etc. and honestly from what I have seen on this forum all that matters are measurements. I can measure my disappointment from listening to e30 ii and my happiness from listening to ares ii.
For everyone reading this thread - please save up for something better if you have a resolving system, you will not be sorry!

cola

Today received the E30 II - connected with a 5V 1.5A non-switching power supply and good cables it works in DAC mode with filter no. 4 - which i prefer.

Just tested the coax digital way from my THULE CD-Player to the E30 II - for me it is after 2 hours fine - no noise - natural sound - good soundstage - a bit more details in the higher frequencies - a little bit less bass - (i just gave now my active sub a little bit more power) - all compared to my (very) old MERIDIAN 203 DAC.

Think it is ok for me - and with the USB connection i can connect my laptop or smartphone - which my old DAC was not able to.

Edit:

Next check: Is it fun to listen to E30II or is the MERIDIAN 203 the soundwinner? I will report next week.

Cord

Last edited:

Artzox

@Artzox
What is your system?
Vintage Onkyo sc-660 speakers, SVS pb-1000, xduoo ta-26 with NOS tubes and an Onkyo stereo AVR. Except for the svs everything else is much cheaper than the Ares II. Nevertheless the difference is quite astonishing to me.
For me so far it is all about synergy.

Ashimaru

Vintage Onkyo sc-660 speakers, SVS pb-1000, xduoo ta-26 with NOS tubes and an Onkyo stereo AVR. Except for the svs everything else is much cheaper than the Ares II. Nevertheless the difference is quite astonishing to me.
For me so far it is all about synergy.
Of course that's because you're used to hear the harmonic distortion of the tube and your system.
And yeah, there is no "synergy" in the objectivist world like in ASR.

Top Bottom