• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does anybody actually listen to "Hotel California" outside of gear demos? (answer: apparently so)

Joe Smith

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Taken in isolation, it's a great song - lyrics, melody, musicianship. Any song that got that much airplay back in the day, those of us who've been around have a love-hate relationship with many of them.

My YMCA plays only one local radio station, "The Bus" that plays the same f****** 200 songs from the 70s and 80s day in, day out, over and over. If I worked there, I'd have to have earplugs (or cement). I like a lot of our old music, but who wants to hear that same stuff over and over, forever? There is so much good new music being made all the time. OK, end of rant.

Rip City Dave

<<<hums and stuff.... But you cannnn neverrrr leaveeee.....lol. :D
Yet this place still has vacancies!
FireShot Screen Capture #7092 - 'Hotel California I Baja California Hotel - Todos Santos, Mexi...png

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You must have missed my next post, 10 minutes later. ;) Perhaps it isn’t obvious that my mate’s newly acquired Desperado LP was also newly released!

I was wondering the same thing.
I did. That the 40th anniversary version of Desperado? Lynyrd Skynyrd rings no bells?

Newman

Major Contributor
LOL

Last edited:

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You must have missed my next post, 10 minutes later. ;) Perhaps it isn’t obvious that my mate’s newly acquired Desperado LP was also newly released!

I was wondering the same thing.

From Jacksonville, Florida, so Southern US​

Honors[edit]​

In 2004, Rolling Stone magazine ranked the group No. 95 on their list of the "100 Greatest Artists of All Time".[5][6]

On November 28, 2005, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame announced that Lynyrd Skynyrd would be inducted alongside Black Sabbath, Blondie, Miles Davis, and the Sex Pistols.[59] They were inducted in the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in Manhattan on March 13, 2006 during the Hall's 21st annual induction ceremony. The inductees included Ronnie Van Zant, Allen Collins, Gary Rossington, Ed King, Steve Gaines, Billy Powell, Leon Wilkeson, Bob Burns, and Artimus Pyle.[60]

Tributes[edit]​

Biopic[edit]​

On April 4, 2017, a biopic film project was announced. The film was later entitled Street Survivors: The True Story of the Lynyrd Skynyrd Plane Crash[63] and released in June 2020.[64]

Film[edit]​

On March 13, 2018, filmmaker Stephen Kijak premiered his documentary called, "If I Leave Here Tomorrow"[65] at the Stateside Theater during the South by Southwest (SXSW)[66] festival in Austin, Texas. Kijak was joined on stage by Johnny Van Zant and Gary Rossington at the world premiere to speak to fans about the film.[67]

G|force

Forum Donor
The HC song and Rocky Horror Picture Show parallel each other, agree or dissent but it was edgy.
What artist would dare say to women 'you're so stupid' in an encompassing treatise today?

Yeah unspoken accult themes. Songs and movies that can't be made anymore, etc. :p Thanks Woke that is helping culture to forget past works of art.

Last edited:

Newman

Major Contributor

From Jacksonville, Florida, so Southern US​

Honors[edit]​

In 2004, Rolling Stone magazine ranked the group No. 95 on their list of the "100 Greatest Artists of All Time".[5][6]

On November 28, 2005, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame announced that Lynyrd Skynyrd would be inducted alongside Black Sabbath, Blondie, Miles Davis, and the Sex Pistols.[59] They were inducted in the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in Manhattan on March 13, 2006 during the Hall's 21st annual induction ceremony. The inductees included Ronnie Van Zant, Allen Collins, Gary Rossington, Ed King, Steve Gaines, Billy Powell, Leon Wilkeson, Bob Burns, and Artimus Pyle.[60]

Tributes[edit]​

Biopic[edit]​

On April 4, 2017, a biopic film project was announced. The film was later entitled Street Survivors: The True Story of the Lynyrd Skynyrd Plane Crash[63] and released in June 2020.[64]

Film[edit]​

On March 13, 2018, filmmaker Stephen Kijak premiered his documentary called, "If I Leave Here Tomorrow"[65] at the Stateside Theater during the South by Southwest (SXSW)[66] festival in Austin, Texas. Kijak was joined on stage by Johnny Van Zant and Gary Rossington at the world premiere to speak to fans about the film.[67]

You know, early Lynyrd Skynyrd got no exposure here in Australia. For example Sweet Home Alabama wasn’t even released here at the time of it’s original release. So no radio airplay either. I only heard the band’s name in later decades when radio stations started playing ‘classic rock’. The band is a non-event for me, even though I like SHA, I never looked the band up or dug into their catalog or bought an album.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You know, early Lynyrd Skynyrd got no exposure here in Australia. For example Sweet Home Alabama wasn’t even released here at the time of it’s original release. So no radio airplay either. I only heard the band’s name in later decades when radio stations started playing ‘classic rock’. The band is a non-event for me, even though I like SHA, I never looked the band up or dug into their catalog or bought an album.
Did you know down under that Neil Young's Southern Man was somewhat an answer to Sweet Home Alabama?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

Same for me here in Australia. I hadn't heard of Lynryd Skynrd until maybe 7 years ago and didn't bother to dig into the music.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Sort of our Little River Band?

Probably. You guys obviously had a huge amount of music and bands we never heard or heard of. It was only the international travelling bands or the worldwide number one artists where the music got the magical 'import' sticker and landed in our record stores. It's a pity we didn't hear much from the US, as I think we missed out on a whole developing genre with real musicians, writing some great music.

Because we had such an active pub/club/live scene in the 70s and early 80s, with plenty of high energy rock artists, we had a decent amount to listen to and buy.Bands like Cold Chisel, Divinyls, The Angels, Midnight Oil, Skyhooks, Sherbet, Little River Band etc.

I believe Little River Band named themselves when they came to this crossroad, travelling in a van together with no actual band name on the way to a gig:

1663890886470.jpeg

Newman

Major Contributor
Sort of our Little River Band? :)
Hardly. LRB signed with Capitol Records in the US in 1975 and first toured USA in 1976. They repeatedly toured the US in the next few years. They got significant FM radio support in the US and their first hit song reached 28 on the Billboard Top 100 in 1976.

LynSkyn OTOH first toured Australia in...2013! And like I said, their early singles weren't even released here, their albums got no traction, and radio ignored them.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Still lovin' it with the cool wind in my hair.

Such a lovely song.

:p

AudioAaron

Im a big Dad Rock guy. But...chsnge the station anytime Eagles or Steely Dan come on.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hardly. LRB signed with Capitol Records in the US in 1975 and first toured USA in 1976. They repeatedly toured the US in the next few years. They got significant FM radio support in the US and their first hit song reached 28 on the Billboard Top 100 in 1976.

LynSkyn OTOH first toured Australia in...2013! And like I said, their early singles weren't even released here, their albums got no traction, and radio ignored them.
Much of the heart of Lynyrd Skynryd died in the plane accident in '77. I worked on the LRB tour in '76 :); overall they never made much of a dent here, tho.

Top Bottom