• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MOSFET power amplifier with error correction

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I built this amp and it works quite well and seems pretty bomb proof. https://sound-au.com/project101.htm One problem these days is that you can not reliably get the Hitachi MOSFET's anymore. The vast majority found online are fakes. Luckily you can get a very similar new Exicon ECX10N20 and ECX10P20 directly available from Profusion PLC in the UK and they will be drop in replacements in many cases (not sure about the OP's design as it seems to be optimized for the Hitachi parts).
Keep at it. I admit that I buy class D but if it's DIY I like MOSFET A/B designs.

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
Interesting topology. Ever production variation-minded, I wonder how this performs with expected variations in device gain, especially over temp variations and manufacturing tolerances. And is there any predicted need to trim component values in final testing? Or, do the cookbook values and economical tolerances provide good performance? (These trims can cost boucou, or not.)

Thanks for the post. Crossover distortion can seem like an eternal enemy.
This was never expected to be in series production, however, there is no need to change the component values if the recommended genuine Hitachi parts are used. Here, the R17 multi-turn 10k trimpot serves to fine setting of the idle current, as shown in post #1. BTW, the parts used are V-MOSFETs, not the lateral MOSFETs. If you change the MOSFETs to IRF or so, then the EC must be re-calculated. Please also note that nowadays IRF V-MOS are not the same parts as they were 30 years ago and direct replacement in audio amplifiers is often impossible.

Please also note I will not re-calculate the EC parts for another MOSFETs, I am not supposed to support any commercial activities.

Thermal stability is fine if a good heatsink as shown is used. The thermal coefficient is somewhat negative, with increasing temperature the idle current gets slightly lower, but the EC keeps to distortion parameters as shown.

There is another advantage - no audible hump from speakers during turn on and turn off. So the output relay, the most problematic component of any amplifier, may be avoided for DIY use.

Attachments

• 2SK413.pdf
    153.5 KB · Views: 170
  • 2SJ118.pdf
    140.9 KB · Views: 115

Piere

Nice build! This is the real DIY spirit!

But one thing: The mosfets used here, albeit Hitachi made, are not the lateral Hitachi fets that made mosfet amplifiers famous in the past for their performance sound wise! These are the regular vertical switching mosfets from later on. You can build pretty nice amplifiers with them but their overall transfer behaviour is totally different concerning the critical cross-over region.

As already mentioned, the original lateral mosfets are still (or again?) made by Exicon, available through Profusion in GB. I would say give them a try too. Would be fun to compare :)

Addicted to music

If you’re into Lateral Hitachi Mosfets, AEM6000 (Australia Electronic Monthly) that’s now Silicon Chip was designed by a bloke who I believe was a university mathematician name David Tilbrook. I built some of those ETI DIY designs, they had a very edgy unrefined SQ, the AEM 6000 was in a league of its own. The beauty about Hitachi Lateral Mosfets was that they were literally indestructible, just don’t exceed VGS. It drove 1.8ohm ribbons for almost 25yrs until I decided to updated! The negative temp coefficient is what made these indestructable, you can short the output out and they will still run. However, it’s this very nature that lets it down In SQ. Today it’s BJT all the way, just ensure you have a design that has multiple pairs to drive difficult loads. I won’t go back to lateral mosfets.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
If you’re into Lateral Hitachi Mosfets, AEM6000 (Australia Electronic Monthly) that’s now Silicon Chip was designed by a bloke who I believe was a university mathematician name David Tilbrook.

AEM was a spinoff from ETI and had absolutely nothing to do with Silicon Chip. SC was set upby Leo Simpson, the editor of EA. He retired, sold whatever rights etc to some publishers who really have zero idea. Like most good things, it has been wrecked.

I wish I knew what happened to David Tilbrook. Somebody must know.

Top Bottom