• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Star Wars: Andor (TV)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This one is right on the money:

… may contain spoilers …

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This one is right on the money:

… may contain spoilers …
Perfect review. He described precisely how I felt watching it. Was glad 3 episodes were out at once. After seeing episode one I was so enthused I've not watched the others. I will, but not much compelled me from episode one. Looked great of course, and some good actors, but wasted on a so far nothing story moving at a snail's pace. Disney is handling all these shows the same boring way. The Mandalorian was sort of accidentally good almost.

Was reading a novel set in the near future like 20 years from now. It was mentioned some corporation had purchased and rescued the Star Wars universe from Disney (finally). Just a comment in passing that sure seemed on target.

Feel much the same about the Rings of Power. House of the Dragon is much better.

G|force

Forum Donor
I thought Madalorian was very well done, including the extensive Jon Favreau involvement, the directors, and the extras with director’s interviews. I especially enjoyed the music composition of Ludwig Goransson, including all the character-specific themes and variations throughout the series. I was less impressed with Boba Fett, and even less with ObI-wan. I hope Andor is better.
I forgot about actor Michael Biehn who appeared in an episode of The Mandelorian. I didn't realize it was he until the credits rolled with the excellent still art concept paintings. I hope MB has more work to do moving forward in this!
-The Terminator
-The Abyss
-Aliens

Triliza

Forum Donor
I watched the first episode, and if I didn't knew what I was watching, I'd think I was watching a series from the UK, something about Manchester with its factories in the 80-90s, or something like that. Don't know why I got that feeling. What's up with this series, I never thought I'd miss the classic Star Wars vibes, with it's silly combats and all, but there it is.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Was able to only get E1 under my belt last night just due to timing of some work that came in.
Loved the vibe and the feel they created. Eager to get into 2 and 3 tonight!
I don't mind a slow start. Rather I am tired of shows that cater to a 10 second attention span. :D

D!sco

What a waste. For a spy thriller, this show is completely guileless. All telling, no showing, no real use of the locations and characters that are meaningful. Contrast the first season of the Mandolorian, which explains everything necessary in a few well placed lines and images. None of the characters seem to have sufficient justification for their actions either. Maybe there will be interesting consequences later?

dartinbout

I've never understood the "Star Whiner" culture. If you don't like any SW content beyond your New Hope laserdisc then just watch that in silence. Commenting upon the later content merely reveals your unresolved childhood issues. Lucas's intent was always just a homage to his own cherished memories of the movie serials and early TV. Think "Flash Gordon", Buck Rogers" "Rocky Jones" "Tom Corbett" and other effluvia. It's not "Literature" or "Art" . It's disposable amusement and some toys. Wanting it to be more is a hallmark of therapy sessions you've missed.

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
I tend to agree with this review;

1663918993406.png

1663919014801.png

JSmith

MrOtto

Andor is excellent. Great script, screenplay, settings/locations, story and sound track.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Wait, so just because the director said it's a slow burn, that makes it all fine and we should not complain? Why? If it's boring, it's boring, even if you upfront announced it to be boring. Nothing changes that. I don't mind that this is not about Jedi or force, and these cameos... they are mostly cringe anyway. In fact, I like that it is not about that.

For me, they already alienated the lead character in the first few minutes, when he killed two mostly innocent people, one of which in cold blood :facepalm: . How the hell am I supposed to like this character now?

Triliza

Forum Donor
I watched episode 2 and 3. Shame on me, but I still don't enjoy the darker tone of this show. I suppose I have associated Star Wars with the lighter and unrealistic approach it has, and enjoy it for that. Till now the social-economic side shown isn't going in any great depth either, The Expanse was great on that aspect for example. So for me, it's not doing either very well. I'll watch the next episode, hoping that the main character will become more accessible and likable.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Darker tone than the usual romp from Star Wars. Slow but building up it We'll see. Hope Disney serves us up with a reasonable Expanse-like show...
Oh darn! I miss the Expanse!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Wait, so just because the director said it's a slow burn, that makes it all fine and we should not complain? Why? If it's boring, it's boring, even if you upfront announced it to be boring. Nothing changes that. I don't mind that this is not about Jedi or force, and these cameos... they are mostly cringe anyway. In fact, I like that it is not about that.

For me, they already alienated the lead character in the first few minutes, when he killed two mostly innocent people, one of which in cold blood :facepalm: . How the hell am I supposed to like this character now?
He's a rebel. Anything the rebellion does is morally okay.....okay?

Yeah a slow burn alright. They took over 90 minutes to do what a good writer could have done in about 40 minutes with better results and without having our hero act like a stone cold killer. The first two episodes were a slog to finally get something okay in episode 3.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Thoroughly entertained myself. Loving all aspects of the sets, vibe and scoring.
Philosophically, are we supposed to like Cassian? He’s a killer, after all. Oh… and spoiler: he and a lot of other folk did some very bad things in the name of fighting against the Empire. This is that story!

After the original trilogy, all we get are attempts (that “nobody” likes) at redoing, what?… the original trilogy. The one thing that stood out from the norm was Rogue One. (And as I recall, a bunch of fans didn’t care for that either.)

Star Wars is a dark story where that darkness has largely been glossed over or outright ignored. You can almost count on one hand where they pull the curtain back and show what’s lurking underneath.
There is so much potential in the Star Wars universe and they are only just now starting to tap into it.

I’m down for the ride if they keep this up!

D!sco

Why not demonstrate his character by showing him stealing the macguffin he sells in episode three? Frankly I have the same questions as the rebel recruiter and am unsatisfied with the answers. All I really know about are a bunch of side characters that are now dead or will likely be missing from the plot. Slow burn and unfocused are two totally different problems. If he's already supposed to be a competent scoundrel, worthy of recruitment, why is he mostly a bumbling fool, who exclusively resorts to violence to solve problems he himself has caused?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I like it... after episode 3 ..
It took some time to develop, frankly they did not need 3 episodes to come to that. Some of it quite wasted on some characters that add nothing to the narrative. It seems, now to be going somewhere. The protagonist/hero is not pristine or flawless.. he has a chip on his shoulder ...
I like this actor, Diego Luna. He was also in " Narcos: Mexico".. IMO he was the best actor of that series. Subdued, strong acting. Seeing the same so far from him in Andor. I will have to watch Rogue One , which I didn't like at first watch...., in a Movies theater. Second time, the charm?
Wish this series would rise to the Expanse level ... fingers crossed.

Peace.

Top Bottom