• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cambridge Audio CXN V2 Measurements (Streamer & DAC)

octavius

Finally I choose Node connected via coax cable to RME ADI-2 DAC instead CXN v2. I have to say there is no delay with this connections.

terrys999

Finally I choose Node connected via coax cable to RME ADI-2 DAC instead CXN v2. I have to say there is no delay with this connections.

Cxn converts dsd to pcm, but not spdif out coax and toslink send out dsd dop untouched.
I can connect optical out from cxn to my adi dac 2 fs. It shows as 176khz dsd bloody marvellous.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Cxn converts dsd to pcm, but not spdif out coax and toslink send out dsd dop untouched.
I can connect optical out from cxn to my adi dac 2 fs. It shows as 176khz dsd bloody marvellous.

Makes no sense really to just use it as a streamer. For that its way to expensive and takes up to much space.

terrys999

Yep you wouldn’t buy it for the streaming to much £££
Cxn is yrs old, I wanted a good headphone amp.
Then I found out cxn outputted dsd dop that was a bonus.

Zenek73

Ani EU answer not built in China? I really like Lumin Mini but... I dont wany any chinese device in my audio chain. I know they are great, but its not for me :D

sngreen

Was the first streamer I have had, and still use it. The good points are; easy setup, quite nice at use - well thought through, has audibly good channel separation. Not so good points are is that it upsamples everything I send to it - it is not always desired, and .. weren't those Wolfson chips already used in their earlier CD models? I did follow up on it once, can't be bothered to remember it now, and it appeared the technology was not exactly new. This is telling on how the overall system sounds once such components are in. We are not talking about the vintage, when everything sounded good, but only a decade older stuff, when most of the componentes did not sound so pleasing at all. I say good for the excercise room or the office, not for the living room.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is telling on how the overall system sounds once such components are in.
No, this is not.:facepalm:
I say good for the excercise room or the office, not for the living room.
How the hell a DAC would be suited to one type of room and not to the other?!

pererpan

For rock and metal, these streamer or the cheaper bluesound node? It's with MF M5si amp and Tannoy xt8f speakers. There are also people who said no streamer and a cd player still the best (Rotel, Marantz). And what about the upsampling from Cambridge? Someone said that isn't good

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For rock and metal, these streamer or the cheaper bluesound node?
There is absolutely no relation between the kind of music and the performance of a Streamer.;)
It's with MF M5si amp and Tannoy xt8f speakers.
Unrelated as well.
There are also people who said no streamer and a cd player still the best (Rotel, Marantz).
Nonsense. Digital is digital, whatever it comes from lossless streaming or a CD won't matter... Assuming the Streamer itself is competently designed, of course.;)

pererpan

Okay thanks. But the cambridge is twice the price of bluesound. Is it worth it? Isn't it too old?

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Okay thanks. But the cambridge is twice the price of bluesound. Is it worth it? Isn't it too old?
The Cambridge is balanced and has a display.

Only thing that bothers me is that it resamples everything to 384khz and doesn't support DSD.
Other than that it's a great device.

sngreen

There is absolutely no relation between the kind of music and the performance of a Streamer.;)

Unrelated as well.

Nonsense. Digital is digital, whatever it comes from lossless streaming or a CD won't matter... Assuming the Streamer itself is competently designed, of course.;)
He actually got a good point; some cd players that cost a fraction of a price of CXN2 do in fact sound better when the same material is put through them. CXN2 does more and is convenient, but it does not come for free.

sngreen

The Cambridge is balanced and has a display.

Only thing that bothers me is that it resamples everything to 384khz and doesn't support DSD.
Other than that it's a great device.
I guess they knew those Wolfson chips would be a bad revelation for CD like formats. They did not even leave the option to turn it off.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess they knew those Wolfson chips would be a bad revelation for CD like formats. They did not even leave the option to turn it off.
Nonsense. Again...

@sngreen,
I will be honest: I am really not sure why you are still posting here.
Vast majority of your posts are just full of regular subjectivist misconceptions, claims and assumptions, without any, even tiny bit of, technical argumentation, nor data, nor proof, controlled listening tests or whatever that would give some weight to your claims... Just "it is well known than this does sound better than that"
He actually got a good point; some cd players that cost a fraction of a price of CXN2 do in fact sound better when the same material is put through them.
Good luck with that.

sngreen

Nonsense. Again...

@sngreen,
I will be honest: I am really not sure why you are still posting here.
Vast majority of your posts are just full of regular subjectivist misconceptions, claims and assumptions, without any, even tiny bit of, technical argumentation, nor data, nor proof, controlled listening tests or whatever that would give some weight to your claims... Just "it is well known than this does sound better than that"

Good luck with that.
I have those units you pretend to discuss, I listen to them, and post my observations. All there is to it. The biggest misconception is that the unit that gives better measurements will always sound better, which is not always true. You can believe what you want, I am not here to change it.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have those units you pretend to discuss, I listen to them, and post my observations
:facepalm:
Last time I checked, I was the one providing objective analysis about the CXN, creating this actual thread you're writing in, as well as I "listened" to it for that matter... I don't "pretend" anything without something to back it up. That's your thing.
The biggest misconception is that the unit that gives better measurements will always sound better, which is not always true.
Yeah, sure. Thanks for enlightening my ignorance. Maybe your membership does have some purpose after all...

Bye.

Last edited:

sngreen

:facepalm:
Last time I checked, I was the one providing objective analysis about the CXN, creating this actual thread you're writing in, as well as I "listened" to it for that matter... I don't "pretend" anything without something to back it up. That's your thing.

Yeah, sure. Thanks for enlightening my ignorance. Maybe your membership does has some purpose after all...

Bye.
I generalized it in my response, not a bad review actually, with the most important points covered. But then you got argumentive in your responses to the other posters, I would not know why.

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
Thank you @VintageFlanker for the review.

I am currently in the market to update my old pre and amp system and I'm looking for a device that will be used mainly to stream Spotify, use with my television (2.1) and an older Cambridge Azur CD player (640?). On a side note that player has the twin Wolfson DACs and I think it's a nice sounding player. I am not a techie and ease of use is high on my list.

I am thinking of pairing this with a new Audiophonics HPA-S400ET.

I do have a few questions though for the folks that are familiar the unit. Has anyone used it with TV and noticed any sound or dialogue delay? I am assuming I can use the line out for my sub? What would be a suggestion for room correction with this set up? I noticed there is not 12v trigger so would I need to power the Audiophonics unit off and on manually? Do we think there might be a v3 coming out soon?

Also if there are any suggestions for other units that might fulfill my needs I'm open for suggestions. I have looked at the NAD C658 but with the bad reviews here and increased cost I have mostly rules that out.

Thanks for your consideration.

12Many

I notice it has 2 digital outputs (coax and optical). So for streamer only use, if I understand correctly, the only full bandwidth output is the coax. Kinda surprised they did not put a USB digital output as well - probably just an off the shelf or library add on. Still, I can get by with those two.

Top Bottom