• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

*Need Help* new system for around 10k €

vitalii427

Forum Donor
Active speakers may be flat in an anechoic chamber, but they’re never flat in room. So you better correct em to your tastes than seeking for speakers matching with your room.

hege

Forum Donor
Why pay 10k€ for "warm"? You can have it from a $100 chinese class-a amp (tried JL hood 1969 with my 15"+horn). Round sloppy bass with muffled highs. It's relaxing to listen yes. :)

vitalii427

Forum Donor
IME, and this is purely subjective, “warm” generally doesn’t come from having a downward-sloping axial response - this just tends to sound dull. The kind of “warm” you want is hard to pin down. “Euphonic” distortion may play a part, as may a downward-sloping power response. The room and its effect on the bass is also a factor. My suggestion is to listen to as many speakers as you can and choose based on your subjective preference. Use measurements and technical aspects to rule out poor designs, but not to make your final decision.

Just my 2c though..

PS. KEF and some Dynaudio speakers are probably a good start IMHO.
Every speaker sounds differently in every room, that’s why all the hassle with constant directivity. So I never rely on store audution. And I really recommend from my subctive experience to get some more or less CD speakers.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Every speaker sounds differently in every room, that’s why all the hassle with constant directivity. And I really recommend from my subctive experience to get some more or less CD speakers.

I’m not sure I quite understand your point. Yes, every speaker sounds different in every room. Every speaker also sounds different in the same room. What you hear is a result of the interaction between the two, obviously.

Which CD speaker do you recommend?

Last edited:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Whichever way you go, superb SQ shouldn't even be in question for 10k.

vitalii427

Forum Donor
I’m not sure I quite understand your point. Yes, every speaker sounds different in every room. Every speaker also sounds different in the same room. What you hear is a result of the interaction between the two, obviously.
I’ve edited my post before I read yours. Different sound in different room was a point for store/home auditions difference.
Which (almost-)CD speaker do you recommend?
Don’t know what is (almost-)CD for you. But for me good directivity speakers which I listened myself are my JBL 4367 and some Genelec monitors. And from what I read Dutch&Dutch/Kii also which I want to try myself.

Last edited:

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve edited my post before I read yours. Different sound in different room was a point for store/home auditions difference.

Don’t what is (almost-)CD for you. But for me good directivity speakers which I listened myself are my JBL 4367 and some Genelec monitors. And from what I read Dutch&Dutch/Kii which I want to try myself.

Ok yes, that’s a lot clearer thanks. In that case, yes I’ve listened to plenty of almost-CD speakers. I’m in favour of the concept but I wouldn’t generally describe such speakers as sounding “warm” (whatever that means, lol).

I agree about the pitfalls of demo room auditioning. I still think the process can be of value however - so long as the limitations are understood.

vitalii427

Forum Donor
Ok yes, that’s a lot clearer thanks. In that case, yes I’ve listened to plenty of almost-CD speakers. I’m in favour of the concept but I wouldn’t generally describe such speakers as sounding “warm” (whatever that means, lol).

I agree about the pitfalls of demo room auditioning. I still think the process can be of value however - so long as the limitations are understood.
Totally agree with you. Would be glad to hear from you more almost-CD speakers examples.

CD in my words had nothing to do with “warm”, sorry if I was not clear enough.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Totally agree with you. Would be glad to hear from you more almost-CD speakers examples.

CD in my words had nothing to do with “warm”, sorry if I was not clear enough.

All good, we’re actually in quite strong agreement :) I was just trying to help the OP with his wish for “warm” sounding speakers - it’s not the approach I’d take myself.

I’m starting up a PA speaker company atm actually. My designs are generally CD (90 degrees horizontal x 60 vertical) down to 700-800Hz, depending on the size of the woofer. Nothing cardioid a la Kii/D&D, however. And nothing commercially available to recommend in particular I’m afraid. I’ve always been curious to hear Gedlee designs but am in Europe, making it very difficult. Sounds like you’re on the right path with JBL, the 70x series seem to be about as good as it gets in that particular class/design methodology.

vitalii427

Forum Donor
Oh, right! I forgot about JBL 70x series. Designed to match M2. Some say they almost indistinguishable to ear in studio environment. And price fits OP’s budget.

Last edited:

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Absolutelly Genelec’s with DSP room correction! Once you have them, there’s no going back. :) Buy the biggest ones you can afford. No need for amps and DACs with this route.

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
This is all very interesting to me-- for home listening, trying to mellow out a pair of Genelec 8020a monitors I bought for professional mixing. May I ask how I would go about adding warm EQ/euphonic distortion via DSP? Not familiar with the process. Would I go from computer to DAC to Genelecs and use some sort of player with EQ/presets? Thanks a lot!

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Absolutelly Genelec’s with DSP room correction! Once you have them, there’s no going back. :) Buy the biggest ones you can afford. No need for amps and DACs with this route.
Perhaps Genelec have updated their GLM, but when I had my 8260a’s X two 7270 subs the sound was quite brutal, do Genelec still set a ‘flat’ target curve as standard?
Keith

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Perhaps Genelec have updated their GLM, but when I had my 8260a’s X two 7270 subs the sound was quite brutal, do Genelec still set a ‘flat’ target curve as standard?
Keith

My curve (8351) slopes downward, as expected in a room. So it seems like room compensation is of the gentle type, not trying to make another speaker through EQ.

vitalii427

Forum Donor
This is all very interesting to me-- for home listening, trying to mellow out a pair of Genelec 8020a monitors I bought for professional mixing. May I ask how I would go about adding warm EQ/euphonic distortion via DSP? Not familiar with the process. Would I go from computer to DAC to Genelecs and use some sort of player with EQ/presets? Thanks a lot!
Depends a lot on what you mean by warm. I forgot names but there some VST plugins that have EQ bands named like warm, bright, thick, etc. And distortions tube-like, etc. It is best to ask some mixing/mastering engineer.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
If I were starting from scratch I would get pair of the Genelec 83xx series speakers, the control kit ($500), and a USB to AES/EBU converter. Most of the powered monitors have switches on the back to adjust the tonality.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

That would be the best approach IMO. Various players (eg Foobar) support VST, which is the standard plugin format for DAWs (mixing/mastering software). There are lots of good VSTs available that do this kind of thing, eg emulate tape saturation, tube distortion, etc. They are also highly configurable. And of course you also have EQ, dynamic compression, etc etc. I think it’s also possible to apply VSTs to your whole system using something like Reaper.

Before trying any of that though, have you measured your in-room response? IME poor room/placement can often cause a system to sound overly lean or boomy etc. due to peaks or nulls in the bass response. If I were you I’d try measuring and if necessary putting in place some bass management first.

Top Bottom