• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

(under) 300$ DAC/AMP for headphones

• Thread starter Deleted member 4708
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4708

I have a Focal Elex, Beyer 880 at 600 Ohms and the Senny HD 650 and I'm looking for a headphone DAC / AMP around 200$. I have sensitive ears so the amp does not need to be powerful.
Currently I have a Chord Mojo that's unreliable (shuts down randomly, battery doesn't charge at all after 18 months, etc.)
Looking for something without battery as I found out that battery and heat produced by DACs do not mix very well - it shortens the life of the battery.
What are the latest greatest in this price range, please? Much appreciated.

So far I found
https://sg.creative.com/p/sound-cards/sound-blasterx-g6
https://www.jdslabs.com/products/48/objective2-odac-combo-revb/

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
D

Deleted member 4708

Bumped the budget to 300$ but that's the ceiling.

Jorj

Forum Donor
OP
D

Deleted member 4708

Jorj

Forum Donor
The DX7s' higer output impedance isn't as good a match with the Elex.

But it is close enough to most likely not matter. It just squeaks over the 10x rule. DX7s - 10 ohm, Elex = 80 ohm. Still, the nod goes to the DX3Pro.

Jorj

Forum Donor
You sir just made my day by pointing me to a battery source for Mojo. IF that was the ONLY problem with my Mojo I'd pay 80$ for the battery - and yes I can handle a screwdriver and hot-glue gun :) Now I am tempted...

My Mojo gets warm, but I obey the 40% rule and never charge while listening, and the battery has lasted a good while. Still, new gear is FUN.

OP
D

Deleted member 4708

Hmm - DX3Pro vs JDS Objective2 Odac Combo Revb so far it seems.

Last edited by a moderator:

artnoi

D10+O2 (my setup) is somewhere near $200 and is more powerful than DX3Pro.

DX3Pro’s only got 2V 6V of output into 300ohm, which I guess won’t be adequate for 600-ohm Beyers, but the Senny be fine (My 250-ohm beyer still needs more than 1x gain from 2V DAC for quiet tracks).

edited: Anyway I also plan to buy DX3Pro as its DAC performance is superior and it has nice bluetooth functionality and digital volume control.

Last edited:

westyjeff

I have a O2+SDAC for sale, this would be a good all in one for the headphones you have.

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
DX3Pro’s only got 2V of output

Where do you get that figure? Amir measured it as putting 123 mW into 300 ohms at high gain without clipping, which is about 6V.

Top Bottom