• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Benchmark AHB2 Amp

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
0.15db, not 0.015db.

Okay that's better but still, I think moving your body even a few inches would have comparable effects. While someone could actually detect such small variations even when listening to music and movies, practically speaking it may not be significant enough for them to consistently prefer one amp over the other. More studies on such things would be good.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a lot of discussion on ASR about damping factor (DF), that is worth a search, so recommended.

Your observations aside, for the moment, align with a DF, confirmed by Stereo.de.

Stereo.de AHB2 damping factor measurements is an outlier.

Here are the Benchmark AHB2 for damping factor:

Here are the DF measurements from SoundStage:

View attachment 231747

Damping factor is most important in bass frequencies but with these we can compare 1 kHz.
Stereo.de 48, Benchmark 254, and SoundStage 225.

I have no idea what Stereo.de is doing, and perhaps they don't either.

Concerning your observations, the perhaps 48 seems low but is still higher than necessary.
I observe no issues with the AHB2 and tight bass driving the Salon2s full range.

I have disconnected the upper section and listened to the bass 150 Hz and below on the Salon2s which that are -3 dB 23 Hz and this cannot be described as tight with any amplifier. I have driven there with Parasound amps with DF spec'ed at > 1100 and I find no audible difference in bass. If anything, the AHB2 is better, perhaps due to its tightly regulated power supply and minimal phase shift.

- Rich

Great job on this but I bet no one can change Pogo's mind on this. He seems fixated on this DF thing and did not seem to want to trust the supporting math that had been presented to him before by various members.

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
As others have said, output impedance is a complex function of operating and environmental conditions, including bias, temperature, supply voltage, output swing (voltage and current), etc. -- just as are many other metrics. But in practice, particularly for amplifiers with reasonably high feedback, it is primarily controlled by feedback and thus changes over PVT (process, voltage, temperature) and other things like power output are (or should be) minimal until feedback breaks down (e.g clipping begins).

Introducing damping factor, a metric I am not particularly found of, adds load impedance as a variable. For a fixed load on a test bench, DF is not unreasonable to measure and assess, but use a more realistic load like a speaker's complex impedance over frequency (and power) and DF begins to lose meaning, or at least become difficult to interpret since it is likely dominated by the load and not the amplifier. I would prefer a plot of output impedance, but that's just me.

It also does not help (me) that "damping factor" has a completely different meaning in control theory, related to pole/zero placement in a transfer function and resultant stability...

Onwards - Don

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I sold mine. The damping factor made them unlistenable but ymmv.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I sold mine. The damping factor made them unlistenable but ymmv.

What do you mean by that? What speakers and what test track?

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you mean by that? What speakers and what test track?

The sound was veiled. Brothers in arms. Nils Lofgren live. Diana Krall.

The new owner is an older gentleman with slightly diminished hearing. He is very happy.

Even my wife could hear it from the kitchen.

MRC01

Major Contributor
So we have that humans are detecting 0.2 dB in volume difference and 5 cents in pitch, known as JND and meaning just a mere 0.08 Hz when attending the 27.5 Hz range, 1.27 Hz when in the 440 Hz range and 10 Hz in the 3520 Hz range. ...
If two piccolos are out of tune by that amount, it might make my head explode. That's several beats per second, not only obvious to hear but strongly dissonant. Now cue the usual piccolo intonation jokes...

Now if they weren't playing simultaneously,first one then the other, then all bets are off. What was obvious becomes subtle. You ...might... still hear it.

PS: here's a fun example and test why all the intonation jokes are about high pitched instruments, and to shed a bit of light on pitch perception.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I would prefer a plot of output impedance, but that's just me.

There is an AP utility which @amirm has used in the past. It just looks a bit clunky IIRC.

The output impedance vs frequency plots on old amplifiers are way more interesting as they get a decent deviation going on.

These high feedback Class Ds are going to be mostly textbook perfect and therefore uninteresting. :)

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry everyone

pogo

Major Contributor
Sorry everyone
That was a good one and so close to reality ;)

After the stereo team has confirmed that the DF was measured properly at a 4ohms load and not bridged ((63Hz/1kHz/14kHz): 48/45/19), I still wonder how the reduced control of the chassis and especially in bridge mode should not have an effect?
Where would the values be with 3ohms, ...?

Reactions: 617

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
That was a good one and so close to reality ;)

After the stereo team has confirmed that the DF was measured properly at a 4ohms load and not bridged ((63Hz/1kHz/14kHz): 48/45/19), I still wonder how the reduced control of the chassis and especially in bridge mode should not have an effect?
For someone as obsessed with DF as you are, your understanding of it and its effects is remarkably sketchy. Can you please try to study up on this a bit more before blasting out even more nonsense? That means actual textbooks and journals, not magazine marketing pieces.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Perhaps the EE's can correct me if I am wrong, at 4 Ohms the DF is 1/2 of the 8 Ohms specification.
So, the AHB2 drops from 370 to 185 for 4 Ohms.

Your prayers have been answered. Benchmark provides an article and downloadable spreadsheet where you can plug in your speaker cable length, gauge, and minimum load.

- Rich

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

- Rich

What is missing is that Kenwood in the 1980s solved the problem of the speaker wire with Sigma Drive where negative feedback was applied at the speaker terminal. This gave you 15,000 damping factor! :)

For the record, I have one that was resto-upgraded by QuirkAudio. Sounds incredible for classical music, but I don’t like the sound of vocals — it’s too clean. Formal E1DA Cosmos based measurements to come soon.

pogo

Major Contributor
Perhaps the EE's can correct me if I am wrong, at 4 Ohms the DF is 1/2 of the 8 Ohms specification.
It doesn't seem to be that simple in reality and is probably also design-dependent. What has also been observed, is that at constant load, for example, 8ohms but different volumes, the DF can change!

Top Bottom