• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Microsoft Surface Dial for Windows 10 and 11 volume control

Rougeonin

RE1Jq0G
Basically I wanted a Bluetooth volume knob for windows to control my Topping d30 pro in DAC only mode.
As a volume knob in windows 10 it changes in increment of 2 and vibrates by default at every change in volume which is nice. I have used it for 2 weeks and it is really great for control of music and movie volume while your watching or listening. Using the shortcut function for next track and pause with MusicBee, Chrome, Firefox, and VLC , so far works great. The range I use the knob is regularly around 15 feet away from my Bluetooth antenna, it may work farther away.
I recommend this as a dedicated volume Knob in windows 10.

Video Demo of Surface Dial

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
RE1Jq0G
Basically I wanted a Bluetooth volume knob for windows to control my Topping d30 pro in DAC only mode.
As a volume knob in windows 10 it changes in increment of 2 and vibrates by default at every change in volume which is nice. I have used it for 2 weeks and it is really great for control of music and movie volume while your watching or listening. Using the shortcut function for next track and pause with MusicBee, Chrome, Firefox, and VLC , so far works great. The range I use the knob is regularly around 15 feet away from my Bluetooth antenna, it may work farther away.

Do you know if it works with Windows 11?

Edit, daft question answered by your title!

Last edited:

MCH

Major Contributor
Bought one long time ago with the objective of using it with my pi streamers but haven't managed yet.

Minidsp made it work with volumio, so it must be possible:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I ordered one. Only £35 so worth a punt!

MCH

Major Contributor
Well I ordered one. Only £35 so worth a punt!
Wow that is cheap.
I thought it was discontinued -has been out of stock for years- but I see it is available again. Strange. Well this gives me hopes that someon makes it work with Linux..

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow that is cheap.
I thought it was discontinued -has been out of stock for years- but I see it is available again. Strange. Well this gives me hopes that someon makes it work with Linux..
I have a feeling there may be more than one model. The one I got was down from £50 regular price (in a few shops) but I see some at £90, so not sure what's going on!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
RE1Jq0G

Just collected one today. Can you use it to control overall windows volume or just within your player app? I need to get it home to see how it works (if at all) with Amazon Music app but I would like to program it to just change master windows volume with a twist and skip tracks with a click.

MCH

Major Contributor
Just collected one today. Can you use it to control overall windows volume or just within your player app? I need to get it home to see how it works (if at all) with Amazon Music app but I would like to program it to just change master windows volume with a twist and skip tracks with a click.
And? Wass it the real "dial" or as you suggested a different model? I have searched around and I only see the same one.
I have checked, mine controls windows master volume, when you have the volume control visible. Otherwise acts as the mouse scroll wheel

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And? Wass it the real "dial" or as you suggested a different model? I have searched around and I only see the same one.
I have checked, mine controls windows master volume, when you have the volume control visible. Otherwise acts as the mouse scroll wheel
Seems to be. Its quirky. I can add custom settings so that it can control 3 different hot key functions on the amazon music app (I've gone for back, skip and pause) but the app has to be the live one on screen.

Doesn't work if the screen is locked. I can toggle it from custom settings for amazon music control to be the master volume like you say.

I have noticed it seems to sleep if I leave it alone for a couple of tracks and takes a few secs to come alive again. Which makes it pretty useless as a way of quickly skipping a track mid listening session.

Far from perfect but an interesting gizmo. For my use absolutely not worth original asking price

MCH

Major Contributor
Seems to be. Its quirky. I can add custom settings so that it can control 3 different hot key functions on the amazon music app (I've gone for back, skip and pause) but the app has to be the live one on screen.
Yes, it seems to be meant as a sort of advanced mouse, works with the app you are using at the moment.
My computer is a surface pro so it can do a few cool things with some apps when you put it on the screen. I don't use it a lot, still hoping for someone that makes it work like with the minidsp shd

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, it seems to be meant as a sort of advanced mouse, works with the app you are using at the moment.
My computer is a surface pro so it can do a few cool things with some apps when you put it on the screen. I don't use it a lot, still hoping for someone that makes it work like with the minidsp shd
Yeah, I saw all the vids with the cool designers doing all kinds of shit. Figured my experience would be less than perfect but I do love me a gadget.

As an aside, why the hell didn't they make it so that when it's scrolling through Windows own menus etc, a click of the dial wasn't a left click to hit the button/setting. Instead it ONLY scrolls but can't action.

MCH

Major Contributor
As an aside, why the hell didn't they make it so that when it's scrolling through Windows own menus etc, a click of the dial wasn't a left click to hit the button/setting. Instead it ONLY scrolls but can't action.
A click where? There is no pointer

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Doesn't work if the screen is locked. I can toggle it from custom settings for amazon music control to be the master volume like you say.

I have noticed it seems to sleep if I leave it alone for a couple of tracks and takes a few secs to come alive again. Which makes it pretty useless as a way of quickly skipping a track mid listening session.

Far from perfect but an interesting gizmo. For my use absolutely not worth original asking price

I bought one a few years ago to use with JRiver. I too found the wake up issue frustrating, so eventually gave up on it. I liked the feel of it though, but went back to a long USB cable controlled volume knob. Much more reliable.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

If you're within (for eg) the settings menus for the wheel, you can scroll up and down the menus but it highlights the action buttons on the menu too (apply, ok etc) but you can't "click" them.

Zoomer

I see an expensive wirelesss mouse with a strange shape and very limited functionality.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I see an expensive wirelesss mouse with a strange shape and very limited functionality.
That's not an unfair assessment

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
I have a feeling there may be more than one model. The one I got was down from £50 regular price (in a few shops) but I see some at £90, so not sure what's going on!
there's just one from MS as far as i know (tho there are chinese knock-offs for as low as <10€)
guess Currys doesn't send to the EU (found it for about 35£ there...

MCH

Major Contributor
Someone in other thread suggested this below. Advantage is that besides BT and wifi, uses also IR, what makes it usable with many dacs etc. Cons are that apparently it is discontinued and the app not updated/maintained (?). Well and the looks and the led light....

Top Bottom