• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX1 mini desktop DAC & AMP

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Announced by Topping:
"DX1 is about to release tomorrow, it's of the mini DAC & AMP desktop, which is a budget audio gear. Have an eye on that!"

Let's see how it measures. :)

Edit: measurements below.

307444053_517331837061123_8955422262615771505_n.jpg
307464284_517331827061124_2171827622365483123_n.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably the DAC and amp parts measure very well, as it is now expected from Topping. Let's see the potentiometer imbalance though.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Elegant would be an ADC behind the knob with volume being handled by the DAC

Edit:
I hope it'll be priced at or below $100 to compete with/make obsolete the Fiio E10K-TC, Fiio New K3, and ifi Zen Air DAC.

Last edited:
OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good to see AKM back. :)

Elegant would be an ADC behind the knob with volume being handled by the DAC
With a stereo ADC chip they can use one channel to read the volume pot, and the other channel for mic input: more functionality for calls and gamers.

Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Price is US$100 at Apos Audio
Sinad seems to be 117db.

I still don't see it on Topping website, but all photos that Topping usually releases is on Apos site.

Veri

Master Contributor
@WolfX-700 measurements are out!! Seems like crazy value!

tom_tom

arround 99€ in Europe. Looks like a great solution for desk.

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
"Chi-fi has one problem in general - artificially sounding through an amazing amount of feedback - because how else do they pull out such a SINAD? NF kills the naturalness of the sound."

Could any of you relate to this?
Is it BS?

Peluvius

Forum Donor
Why would you use this instead of the 3.5mm output jack of your PC/laptop ?

Peluvius

Forum Donor

MCH

Major Contributor
Why would you use this instead of the 3.5mm output jack of your PC/laptop ?
Not answering your question but giving a use case:
I use a raspberry pi zero currently (no headphone output) connected to a a dongle dac as my streamer/headphone rig. I don't need more power or phisical vol knob currently so i am a happy camper, but if i would, something like this for 100eur would be perfect.

Peluvius

Forum Donor
Not answering your question but giving a use case:
I use a raspberry pi zero currently (no headphone output) connected to a a dongle dac as my streamer/headphone rig. I don't need more power or phisical vol knob currently so i am a happy camper, but if i would, something like this for 100eur would be perfect.

I am a long time enthusiast however never with headphones, IEMs etc... I am learning and enjoying the new avenue. The TinHifi 3 IEMs I have at the moment go louder than I can listen on my Macbook and on my PC and I am wondering if it is just loudness that is impacted? Why would it sound better?

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do not know how to properly interpret that data. I use a recent model Macbook pro, does that correlate to any of the profile data in those graphs? Which one is the Topping amp?

Is the difference audible and relevant in the context of this data?

View attachment 232101

Sorry, I see now. The graph I posted is power output. If you have larger headphones, especially planars, you would use the DX1 (or beyond depending on features you're after). For most IEMs, as long as your MacBook can output 1V, low impedance, ideally 100mW but a little lower is OK, there's little reason to buy anything else. I'd personally probably get a balanced dongle simply because they're so cheap these days, but honestly any difference is likely inaudible.

Peluvius

Forum Donor
Sorry, I see now. The graph I posted is power output. If you have larger headphones, especially planars, you would use the DX1 (or beyond depending on features you're after). For most IEMs, as long as your MacBook can output 1V, low impedance, ideally 100mW but a little lower is OK, there's little reason to buy anything else. I'd personally probably get a balanced dongle simply because they're so cheap these days, but honestly any difference is likely inaudible.

OK, thanks. I see the unit has a USB input, presumably for connection to a PC or laptop. I am guessing this comes down to whether the onboard DAC (of whatever source device you are using) is good enough.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Awesome measurements as expected, especially for the price. But still wondering about channel imbalance of the pot. Let's wait for Amir's review.

Adi777

Why no one answered my question?
What's this feedback about?

Top Bottom