• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loxjie A30 Amplifier Review

The Capstan

Sorry, but this correction also needs another correction.

In the USB signal path the Sabre ESS9023 DAC is NOT involved. The USB input is the only one that does not pass through the ESS9023.

"...The ES9023 DAC takes on digital-to-audio conversion for the Coax, Toslink and Bluetooth signals. But not the USB. Bummer. The internal DAC and "Headphone Amplifier" of the Realtek ALC4050 drive the NJW1194 volume controller directly. Even though the device supports I2S and could have been fed to the ES9023, it looks like we are left with whatever proprietary DAC exists inside the Realtek part, which probably isn't all that great. It's supposed to support 32-bit/384kHz but yet the DAC poops out at a 100 dBA SNR. Not a big deal, if you want better USB support, you can always get a USB-Toslink adapter and run that into the A30 to take advantage of the ESS DAC. But that's the only way if you're keen on USB audio."
Thank you May, I was not honestly aware of this. Thank you for the clarification.

All in all, also looking at performance of AUX in, best way to drive this amp seems to be the Toslink or Coax. I have no clue why the AUX in, according to Amirm findings on his tests, performs significantly worse (more than 10dB SINAD!) that the corresponding digital input.

My best, Ale.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you May, I was not honestly aware of this. Thank you for the clarification.

All in all, also looking at performance of AUX in, best way to drive this amp seems to be the Toslink or Coax. I have no clue why the AUX in, according to Amirm findings on his tests, performs significantly worse (more than 10dB SINAD!) that the corresponding digital input.

My best, Ale.
Check Amirm’s edit for the RCA/Aux input

The Capstan

Check Amirm’s edit for the RCA/Aux input
I see, thank you. It is a super-long thread that started in 2018. No surprise...

LOSVCE

Hi there A30 owners.

Three quick questions:
Does anyone have two units stacked? If so, does one remote turn both on/off?
Secondly, does the A30 remember the last input after being turned off/on?
Third, I have 4 speakers (2 daisy-chained pairs) outdoors. I read this is 40 @ 8, is there any chance this will be loud enough, or do I need a lot more power?

Thanks so much for the help -

Last edited:

The Capstan

Hi Amirm,

after the recent posts on the A30, I read again through your original test and I have spotted two things that maybe worth reviewing. Don't now if someone has noticed already, the A30 thread is now indeed massive!
1) the Infineon chip in the A30 is the MA12070 and not the MA12070P as stated in the article. The difference is not subtle in that the first has analogue inputs and second I2C, although internally converted to analogue hence a not real FDA also in this case (this is clearly visible in the block diagram in the data sheet).
2) the analogue (aux) input does not require for this reason conversion (I see you wrote "Thinking the analog input is digitized, I was surprised that it had such a wide bandwidth") and passes through tone control to the Merus.

I expect Loxjie to release a revised version sooner than later...

Best
Alessandro

1664268375309.png

Last edited:

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi Amirm,

after the recent posts on the A30, I read again through your original test and I have spotted two things that maybe worth reviewing. Don't now if someone has noticed already, the A30 thread is now indeed massive!
1) the Infineon chip in the A30 is the MA12070 and not the MA12070P as stated in the article. The difference is not subtle in that the first has analogue inputs and second I2C, although internally converted to analogue hence a not real FDA also in this case (this is clearly visible in the block diagram in the data sheet).
2) the analogue (aux) input does not require for this reason conversion (I see you wrote "Thinking the analog input is digitized, I was surprised that it had such a wide bandwidth") and passes through tone control to the Merus. Not clear to me at this point why AUX performance (SINAD) is worse than digital. Maybe internal circuitry not sufficiently optimized?

Best
Alessandro

View attachment 233519
Amir wrote: “EDIT: Using the same volume level as digital and turning down the input way up, we get the same results as digital input:”

Once you equalize the input levels, it seems to get the same results as digital input.

Interesting discussion of the two Merus chips btw.

Cheers,

A

The Capstan

Amir wrote: “EDIT: Using the same volume level as digital and turning down the input way up, we get the same results as digital input:”

Once you equalize the input levels, it seems to get the same results as digital input.

Interesting discussion of the two Merus chips btw.

Cheers,

A
You are right. This point was already clarified in a previous post. My fault (an lack of memory!).
I will edit my post accordingly.

Ale..

Hotwetrat

Hi Amirm,

2) the analogue (aux) input does not require for this reason conversion (I see you wrote "Thinking the analog input is digitized, I was surprised that it had such a wide bandwidth") and passes through tone control to the Merus.

Best
Alessandro

View attachment 233519

So... Can I just get some clarification here, since I just bought this AMP to power my Q Accoustics Concept 20 in my living room setup, what's the none tech jist here, please? Bad move and get something better? Or, it's fine for 'basic use' (example, instead of those generally AWFUL soundbars, to enjoy TV/movies/Music in significantly better audio fidelity)

I DEFINITELY do not listen loud.

Cheers.

Drengur

Forum Donor
Bad move and get something better?

I DEFINITELY do not listen loud.

Cheers.
A very good move. It is a capable and flexible amplifier. I have recommended two of my buddies to buy it, which they have, and they are quite happy (Paradigm Monitor 7 and Polk 60). And they can play loud.

Hotwetrat

A very good move. It is a capable and flexible amplifier. I have recommended two of my buddies to buy it, which they have, and they are quite happy (Paradigm Monitor 7 and Polk 60). And they can play loud.

Well this sounds promising (no pun)

I just have the optical out from my HDTV into this unit (as that's all I have in that room) obviously I need to get a little sub just to add a SMIDGE of weight/low end but aside from that I have been enjoying watching Netflix/Amazon Prime etc through this little budget setup

Cheers.

destase

Hey,
Any update? You return loxjie? I have the same problem with the polk xt20 and loxjie a30 :( I found that also other people have this problem https://www.reddit.com/r/BudgetAudiophile/comments/pjhg1x/_/hv1b25s
before polk xt20, I have connected wharfedale 220 and there was no problem

The A30 unfortunately didn't work with my C-Notes. I had the exact same issue as these folks: hooking them up normally, I get nothing but a periodic popping sound from the speakers about 1 second apart - some sort of "protection mode" I'm guessing. Placing a resistor inline with the speaker wire makes them work, but there's a constant static/hissing sound coming out of the A30.

So I've seen this issue reported with the Polk XT20s twice, the Overnight Sensations once, and the C-Notes once. Maybe the MA12070 (or Loxjie's implementation of it) doesn't like something about the crossover design with these speakers. Or, seeing as half of the reports are DIY, it could be faulty assembly of the crossover.

Now to decide if I want to try another amp with the same chip, or just give up on the MA12070 entirely and get an Aiyima A07 or something. It sucks, there are so few options with remote volume control :(

butterboi

I recently got an A30 to use with Kanto Yu Passive 5.25" and ELAC SUB1010. I am new to audio equipment so I wasn't sure how to connect everything together. Right now I have two cables running from each left and right on the A30 - one to the speakers and one to the sub (HI Level In ports). Is this correct or should I remove the cables to the sub and connect it with the line in?

The A30 has been great for BT and optical inputs (optical for TV). It doesn't sound so great with the aux (RCA) input from my vinyl turntable. It is not just quieter but also doesn't sound nearly as good as BT. The turntable I am using is the AT-LP60XUSB. Is this likely the turntable or the A30 causing the worse sound?

Thank you very much, and sorry in advance if I used any incorrect terminology or am missing something basic. I'm trying to learn more about everything!

mnotik

has anyone been able to pair the A30 and the Amazon Fire TV stick remote? I tried some generic options, but had no luck

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently got an A30 to use with Kanto Yu Passive 5.25" and ELAC SUB1010. I am new to audio equipment so I wasn't sure how to connect everything together. Right now I have two cables running from each left and right on the A30 - one to the speakers and one to the sub (HI Level In ports). Is this correct or should I remove the cables to the sub and connect it with the line in?

The A30 has been great for BT and optical inputs (optical for TV). It doesn't sound so great with the aux (RCA) input from my vinyl turntable. It is not just quieter but also doesn't sound nearly as good as BT. The turntable I am using is the AT-LP60XUSB. Is this likely the turntable or the A30 causing the worse sound?

Thank you very much, and sorry in advance if I used any incorrect terminology or am missing something basic. I'm trying to learn more about everything!
Try using the sub output of amplifier to input on sub with a RCA Jack and also make sure you’re using aux output and switch the AT-LP60XUSB to Line instead of phono

maxp

I've just read through the 39 pages of this thread after ordering the A30, and am somewhat dismayed by the USB/DAC posts, with regards to quality.

As someone who exclusively listens to their audio via a macbook, would it make better 'sense' to run a standalone high quality USB DAC -> RCA leads -> Aiyima A07 for instance?

Last edited:

Drengur

Forum Donor
I've just read through the 39 pages of this thread after ordering the A30, and am somewhat dismayed by the USB/DAC posts, with regards to quality.

As someone who exclusively listens to their audio via a macbook, would it make better 'sense' to run a standalone high quality USB DAC -> RCA leads -> Aiyima A07 for instance?
I doubt you would be able to hear any differnce at all, at some point it all becomes academic. One of the reasons I try to buy gear that measures well, even beyond the limits of human hearing, is that I find it to be an indicator of thoughtful design principles. It does not hurt that competition thrives when there are still goals to be reached.

titilandus

Because via dac usb it reports itself cheap DAC Realtek ALC4050

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

You could get a USB to Toslink adapter and see if you hear a difference?

Top Bottom