• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aiyima DAC A5 Pro

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
On a very strict budget but interested in getting a reasonable good DAC - I know I should spend $150 etc on a quality DAC but looking at a basic system with a Wiim Mini Streamer optical output into this DAC into an Aiyima A07 (which I already own) then into some reasonable bookshelf speakers).

So looking for reference this is the DAC https://www.aiyima.com/products/dac...fier-digital-optical-coaxial-pc-usb-converter

Roughly $400 to spend:
1. Wiim mini $100 (slightly more as I live in Ireland) - using Dollars to give rough estimates
2. Aiyima DAC A6 Pro (roughly $80 with shipping / import duty etc ) (obviously there are cheaper DACs and there are much more expensive ones - this one hasn't been measured - but I do like Aiyima products they seem to have reasonable quality control at reasonable prices and this price allows me to spend more on speakers)
3. Aiyima A07
4. Wanted to spend as much of the rest of the budget on decent bookshelf (so rough $220)

Maybe I am old school but I always feel the speakers (and the room) and probably the music source make the majority of the difference (hence the wiim mini + A07 and possible this DAC) allow me to spend a little more on decent speakers.

Thanks for any advice / recommendations

delta76

Major Contributor
You are right, speakers and the room have much bigger impact on the sound quality than DAC/amp, given that they are decent. If I read you right, you have $400 to spend total? how's about 2nd hand market?

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On a very strict budget but interested in getting a reasonable good DAC - I know I should spend $150 etc on a quality DAC but looking at a basic system with a Wiim Mini Streamer optical output into this DAC into an Aiyima A07 (which I already own) then into some reasonable bookshelf speakers).

So looking for reference this is the DAC https://www.aiyima.com/products/dac...fier-digital-optical-coaxial-pc-usb-converter

Roughly $400 to spend:
1. Wiim mini $100 (slightly more as I live in Ireland) - using Dollars to give rough estimates
2. Aiyima DAC A6 Pro (roughly $80 with shipping / import duty etc ) (obviously there are cheaper DACs and there are much more expensive ones - this one hasn't been measured - but I do like Aiyima products they seem to have reasonable quality control at reasonable prices and this price allows me to spend more on speakers)
3. Aiyima A07
4. Wanted to spend as much of the rest of the budget on decent bookshelf (so rough $220)

Maybe I am old school but I always feel the speakers (and the room) and probably the music source make the majority of the difference (hence the wiim mini + A07 and possible this DAC) allow me to spend a little more on decent speakers.

Thanks for any advice / recommendations

what do you currently own?

OP
Jeromeof

Jeromeof

Forum Donor
You are right, speakers and the room have much bigger impact on the sound quality than DAC/amp, given that they are decent. If I read you right, you have $400 to spend total? how's about 2nd hand market?
I have been looking at the 2nd market but sadly its terrible in Ireland and with Brexit mostly people in the UK are not shipping stuff to Ireland anymore via eBay. Definitely no decent DAC's second hand in Ireland, some old speakers but nothing I would trust.

I do have a more premium setup in the living room with Q 3020i's and some dolby surround speakers and a Denon receiver. I also have a spare raspberryPI - so before I got the Denon I was using the A07 with the 3020i's and a raspberryPI (with VolumIO) as a network streamer - sounded great but my SO wanted a home cinema setup. So another room in the house will have this new setup, sadly not allot of budget but I want to do it mostly right and be somewhat convenient (Airplay and Amazon Music support on the Wiim Mini being convenient IMO).

NewbieAudiophileExpert

How did you go with the Aiyima Dac A5 pro?

The reason that I ask is that i've seen that 'Fosi-Audio' sells the exact same one, under their brand name... in fact there is like 5 different brands selling the exact same product(s) under different names..

I'm considering purchasing it, because why not, but always sus on the stuff that's not been properly reviewed..

OP
Jeromeof

Jeromeof

Forum Donor
I got one and I think it’s excellent for the price. Obviously this is subjective but the output from the headphone Jack and the rca output seem excellent to my ears! As a DAC I doubt it could tell the difference between this and one twice the price . I imagine aiyima saved money by not including a screen and the box which is fairly generic. I cranked up tte volume on the headphones to see could I hear any noise and it was completely silent when playing a silent track.

So overall on a very limited budget this is a good DAC

ninetylol

You can get the Polk ES20 for 230 at the moment in europe. Amir reviewed them.

OP
Jeromeof

Jeromeof

Forum Donor
How about the Wharfedale Diamond 12.2's or Mission LX3 Mk2's ?
Thanks for the suggestion - I got the Polk ES20 in the end (mainly because of the Amir's review, it was within the budget and I liked the fact that it mostly doesn't need a subwoofer) - the base response is great. Though my next 'mini' project is looking at some Room EQ as I think in the particular room I have this setup needs some Room EQ done - so I am investigating using the Raspberry as a DSP.

Top Bottom