• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What IEMs do you own?

Bleib

Major Contributor
See signature. Very pleased with it since I can change the cable once it breaks

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
KSE1500: This is probably the best I've ever owned or tried, definitely convinced me this is the "hi-fi" sound people were ready to spend money on. Only sold because I hate charing the amp and I can't afford a second KSE if mine breaks.

Dunu SA6: Probably the best tuned IEMs from Dunu I've heard. Very likable, pretty good bass for a BA setup too.

Moondrop Dusk: I like it better than B2 but I don't like B2 that much so it wasn't the best purchase I had. S8 is definitely better than B2 in my experience.

Acoustune 1670(briefly)/1695: The 1695 is one of my (three?) most favorited DD. I really dig the sound sig, it fits my ears well enough and looks like a boutique item. 1670 is pretty nice but I don't like it that much

Fiio FH5/FH7: FH5 was my first Fiio Hybrid, sounds bland and a tad unnatural. FH7 is just "le BA timbre" in turbo mode.

There are probably some more but that's all I can remember right now.

Edit: Final E2000, Blon 03, Blon MAX or something, Sony MH750/755, RHA T20i, Tin T2/T3..... Lotta budget ones are pretty nice, and I think the current budget "giant killers" should sound better than the previous "giant killers" (GR07, Tin T2, Blon 03, MH750 etc....)

Last edited:

nyxnyxnyx

Oh and I can't say this as proof but there have been moments where I listened to some IEMs without knowing the brand or the unit name and I was able to recognize that it's a Tribrid IEMs (usually DD-BA-EST). Such were the case with Odin and Monarch. They sound very good it's just the timbre not sounding "natural" or "coherent" throughout the frequency range (think: strong, heavy bass notes but dulled guitar & vocal while the cymbals are harsh and bright?). I know someone will say it's a FR thing but in the IEMs landscape it's not like only those two have wonky/inconsistent tuning.

I haven't read enough to deduct why it is like that so I hope someone here with more experience can broaden my knowledge.

Peluvius

Forum Donor
I have a set of Tin Audio T3 Knowles Hybrid. I have never used them much because the wire is too short to comfortably plug into anything on my desk. They sound outstanding to me. I just ordered a pair of the Truthear Zero's (thanks Amir) because I am a self indulgent SOB and it has a longer wire....

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a set of Tin Audio T3 Knowles Hybrid. I have never used them much because the wire is too short to comfortably plug into anything on my desk. They sound outstanding to me. I just ordered a pair of the Truthear Zero's (thanks Amir) because I am a self indulgent SOB and it has a longer wire....

I'm sure you considered it, but you can get a decent 3.5mm male to 3.5mm female extension from amazon basics in various lengths if you wanted to use your t3 again.

Peluvius

Forum Donor
I'm sure you considered it, but you can get a decent 3.5mm male to 3.5mm female extension from amazon basics in various lengths if you wanted to use your t3 again.

You know I actually have not :facepalm: I am surrounded by wireless pods, buds and headphones and have spent very little time on wired IEM and headphones. I try to keep my impulse buys down to one a day (the Truthear's were todays) but maybe I will break my rule for an extension cord.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
In current ownership and order of preference
7Hz Timeless
Dunu Vulkan
Moondrop Chu

We’ll see where the Zero sits over the weekend

Peluvius

Forum Donor
I have also been alerted to a very entertaining new (to me) Youtube Chanel:

sq225917

Major Contributor
The Oracle's aren't bad I just fell for the hype train. They're decent enough, just sound a touch like a badly assembled 3 way horn system where you know you are listening to three different drivers, with three different distortion characteristics.

The fh9 are more homogenous.

markanini

Major Contributor
Sony MH750 is still my main one. Haven't found an IEM with a frequency balance I like better, high end or low end.

Merkurio

Right now; AirPods Pro, Audeze iSINE LX, Etymotic ER4SR and Sennheiser IE300 (the one I use the most).

All of them EQ'd to Harman with personal accommodations (minus the ER4SR, which I use directly with the oratory1990 preset without modifying anything) and driven by the mighty Qudelix.

I also had a Moondrop Chu that I gave to my mother, which with a bit of EQ to remove that annoying resonance around 5-6kHz, sounded fantastic.

Fregly

The Oracle's aren't bad I just fell for the hype train. They're decent enough, just sound a touch like a badly assembled 3 way horn system where you know you are listening to three different drivers, with three different distortion characteristics.

The fh9 are more homogenous.
I looked at the fh9. Though on Crin's graph the rise towards the lows begins at 1k and then there are a couple substantial treble bumps, so I figured it was no go for me.

12Many

Moondrop S8- noticeably less bass than the Oracle, good treble, detailed. I use Spinfit 155 Large for a good seal
Have you compared these to the Moodrop Blessing Dusk 2 - which are the ones I used the most. Worth the upgrade price?

12Many

In current ownership and order of preference
7Hz Timeless
Dunu Vulkan
Moondrop Chu

We’ll see where the Zero sits over the weekend
The timeless is good. I have those. Great bass and mids. I also have the Blessing Dusk 2 and use those much more now, but was happy with the timeless.

sushi2020

- Etymotic ER4SR: My favorite. I use EQ to get closer to USound target over 1kHz.
- Moondrop Chu: Nice but heavy and a bit painful for me.
- Apple AirPods Pro1: My daily drivers. Soon to be replaced by Pro2.

Last edited:

sushi2020

My daily driver is a Westone Pro X10.

It's expensive for a single BA and the stock FR isn't very good but...

It cleans up well enough with EQ, it's not bling-y like pretty much all the cheaper Chinese IEMs with better stock FR, it's tiny and comfortable, has good isolation, and I can get a good fit with silicone tips which don't need monthly replacement like foamies.

The cable is also way stronger than it looks.

I have a Moondrop Chu which I bought on whim. I spent more than IEM itself on different tips to get a good fit but just keep it as a backup since it's to bling-y to wear in public and has poor isolation.

I have an old Westone UM1 as a backup, plus an old Shure SE530 that never gets used any longer either.
I am interested in Westone IEMs.

According to the measurement of an UM Pro 10 by oratory1990, there is a deep and wide dip in the treble.
Have you felt that when using your Pro X10?

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you compared these to the Moodrop Blessing Dusk 2 - which are the ones I used the most. Worth the upgrade price?
I have. Honestly, if you can/will eq then no. The dusk have naturally better bass, the S8 nicer treble to my ears but the S8 isn't twice the iem.

I think I prefer the S8 but how much of that is inherent bias I can't say. I'm also not sure the S8 sounds too happy upping the bass to Dusk or Harman levels.

MCH

Major Contributor
I also had a Moondrop Chu that I gave to my mother, which with a bit of EQ to remove that annoying resonance around 5-6kHz, sounded fantastic.
Can you please share the filter you used for that? It is really annoying indeed, i thought i was the only one.

Top Bottom