• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do you distrust some engineering? Like bridges, roads, electronics, buildings, vehicles, planes, trains etc etc?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I daily have the heebie geeebies when I cross over a bridge span that must be I'm guessing ~180' high (~55m.) and no columns to support it. I've crossed when a heavy tanker truck, 2 city transit buses and several cars where crossing it simultaneously and I never detected any sort of weird stuff like swaying or dipping in the structure. If this bridge falls it's going to be a one way trip to death and doom. :D
z bridge.png

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Depends, where do you live?

Here in Canada if I lived in Quebec I’d be less trusting.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anything from Harbor Freight :cool:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I trust the science. It's the maintenance that is the weak link.
In the case of the bridge that I posted about a number of the the steel plates that run the length of the length of the bridge where slightly kinked upon delivery and they did something to enable them to be used. I never trust that bridge as a result.

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I daily have the heebie geeebies when I cross over a bridge span that must be I'm guessing ~180' high (~55m.) and no columns to support it. I've crossed when a heavy tanker truck, 2 city transit buses and several cars where crossing it simultaneously and I never detected any sort of weird stuff like swaying or dipping in the structure. If this bridge falls it's going to be a one way trip to death and doom. :D
View attachment 231342

Wow, that's a pretty serious topic Doodski! I think as someone has already mentioned, this will depend very much on where you live however if you have a government that has allowed commercial interests to become involved in certification and standards in relation to infrastructure, commercial and residential construction then you have good cause for concern. The bridge in the picture should be perfectly fine if it was built and certified to Canadian standards (and there was n o monkey business involving commercial interests).

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And probably never will, thank the stars.
Is the mafia still involved in the construction business in Quebec? I read after the government laid off the construction engineering and technical workers that it had on salary that those same workers created consulting firms and that the mafia got their foot in the door that way.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is the mafia still involved in the construction business in Quebec? I read after the government laid off the construction engineering and technical workers that it had on salary that those same workers created consulting firms and that the mafia got their foot in the door that way.
Let me just say , not much has changed in Quebec.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Let me just say , not much has changed in Quebec.
I intend to visit Quebec City sometime in my life and check out all the old buildings, history, culture and food. I'm originally from a Italian city in Canada and it ran pretty well when I lived there. Lots of social activities, lotsa food, lotsa wine, lotsa people saving their money and buying neat things. Lotsa culture.

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Mafia qualify as a commercial interest......:(

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Mafia qualify as a commercial interest......:(
Yeah, like quote 500 dump trucks of dirt to be moved and then only move 250 loads and charge for 500. That kind of mafia. They have their mitts in government and in the consulting firms and wherever they need them to be to pull off white collar crime.

Top Bottom