• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wanting new monitors

Traceystudios

Hello all! First post here. I have been reading thru and searching for some reviews on monitors that i am interested in. Have a few questions.

Currently my room is 10' x 12'
I have treated it with several primacoustic panels and couple GIK bass traps
I also have first reflection points and a cloud
I have a mix desk with lots of rack gear in it. not a console
I have ARC3 room correction software and their mic.
I record and mix rock and metal. I am a serious hobbyist.
I do have a KRK 10s subwoofer that I turn on and off with a footswitch. I find that I have it off more and more. it does make the room boomy. I usually turn it on when i think i am done with a mix to see how everything sounds.
i also have a pair if CLA-10A which are clones of NS10s. I do not really like these but i do use them for midrange. there is almost no low end in these speakers
I have a couple other pairs of speakers, KRK Rokkit 8 & Kali Audio LPs which surprising the Kali Audios sound good, but don't have the detail i need. and the KRKs have almost no mids.

I am hoping to find one set of monitors that have great all around response and detail. Especially in the low end detail. I would love to ditch the CLA-10A monitors. my budget is between $2k-$3k.

I have been interested in the following and am open to suggestions. Will these be compatible with my room size?

Dynaudio LYD48
Adam A7V
Neumann KD 120A
Adam Audio AH8
Genelec seems to be well reviewed.

back in the day we used to be able to go the store and see these things and hear them before we purchased them. Now it seems like you have to buy to try and pay for shipping if they don't work out.

thanks for suggestions.

caught gesture

Forum Donor
I’d look at used monitors and really have something special for you $2-3K. reverb.com has some Genelec 8050B in excellent condition at under 2K. Review here. Yes, they are limited at high volume, but in your size room at mixing levels they’d be an excellent tool that you could add a sub to down the line if you needed more output to shake the windows.

OP
T

Traceystudios

I found the review index. where can i find out how the Preference Score is calculated. or what is the highest possible number? Is it based on users or does the tester calculate it?

caught gesture

Forum Donor

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If turning on the sub makes the room "boomy" then either the sub itself is not good quality, or it is poorly integrated. Early in my audio journey, I used a similar studio subwoofer which had too much peak output in the 35-40Hz region. Using some EQ to pull down that region, and making sure the subwoofer was time aligned with the main channels made a huge difference.

Kali Audio LP are pretty good monitors, especially the v2 models. Is your room correction software not working properly? Should be plenty of detail available in them.

For mixing work, I would try a pair of Genelec 8030C for $1400, a miniDSP Flex (balanced IO) for $570, and an SVS PB-1000 Pro for $800.

You already own a measurement mic, so the miniDSP Flex should let you do a great job of achieving a smooth response all the way down to 20Hz. If you use an 80Hz crossover point, the 8030C should manage at least 105dB at 1 metre.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello all! First post here. I have been reading thru and searching for some reviews on monitors that i am interested in. Have a few questions.

Currently my room is 10' x 12'
I have treated it with several primacoustic panels and couple GIK bass traps
I also have first reflection points and a cloud
I have a mix desk with lots of rack gear in it. not a console
I have ARC3 room correction software and their mic.
I record and mix rock and metal. I am a serious hobbyist.
I do have a KRK 10s subwoofer that I turn on and off with a footswitch. I find that I have it off more and more. it does make the room boomy. I usually turn it on when i think i am done with a mix to see how everything sounds.
i also have a pair if CLA-10A which are clones of NS10s. I do not really like these but i do use them for midrange. there is almost no low end in these speakers
I have a couple other pairs of speakers, KRK Rokkit 8 & Kali Audio LPs which surprising the Kali Audios sound good, but don't have the detail i need. and the KRKs have almost no mids.

I am hoping to find one set of monitors that have great all around response and detail. Especially in the low end detail. I would love to ditch the CLA-10A monitors. my budget is between $2k-$3k.

I have been interested in the following and am open to suggestions. Will these be compatible with my room size?

Dynaudio LYD48
Adam A7V
Neumann KD 120A
Adam Audio AH8
Genelec seems to be well reviewed.

back in the day we used to be able to go the store and see these things and hear them before we purchased them. Now it seems like you have to buy to try and pay for shipping if they don't work out.

thanks for suggestions.

If you can afford one of the SAM models of Genelec that’s what I would suggest.

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I found the review index. where can i find out how the Preference Score is calculated. or what is the highest possible number? Is it based on users or does the tester calculate it?
May I also suggest this great web resource by @pierre, aggregating spinorama measurements from ASR and various other sources. Tonality/preference scores are also calculated, as are EQ presets for optimizing the score. The tool allows various filtering, sorting and comparing of data.
I at least find it very helpful and interesting :)

On the topic of the score itself, it is calculated based on a series of experiments and subsequent patent by Sean Olive. The score is not considered reliable for differences less than approx. 1,5 points, in general doesn't take into account non-linear distortion or max SPL and doesn't tell you what compromises are made on a particular model. But IMHO it is still very useful as a course filter to narrow-down the otherwise huge list.

Top Bottom