• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AVR with Room EQ and using external DAC

wiredrob

I've been lurking for a couple of weeks now and thought I'd post.

I'm finally upgrading my existing system. I listen to streaming music (classic rock and jazz) at moderate sound levels and some movies. I've been listening to music as an "audiophile-lite" for almost 50 years. I worked as a young engineer in audio before my career split from that path.

Now I have the following 2 ch setup:

Bluesound Node optical out >>> harmon/kardon AVR 645 (oldie but goodie 90 watts/ch @ 8 ohms) >>> Wilson Audio Sophia (4 ohm, bought used for a steal)
Room is 13 x 25 feet
Testing Tidal and Qobuzz (prefer the UI of Tidal connect)

I'm looking to upgrade the AVR and DAC. I value room EQ very much as I perceive a significant improvement using my current AVR.

I recently bought a Denefrip Ares II but I realized that my AVR already converts everything to digital, does DSP, and then converts back to analog. Adding another dac into the loop is not a great idea so I' using my AVR's DAC now instead. FYI I'll be selling the Denafrip Ares II unless I can use it in my new setup in a sensible way.

I'm looking at buying a Denon AVR 3700. I could spend more but don't see anything worth an upgrade. My budget is approx $2k. Willing to entertain alternatives that are an AVR and have Audyssey or Dirac Live.

Now to my question - is there someway to use an external DAC with my AVR so that the path would be:

Bluesound Node >>> Digital in to AVR >>> internal DSP in AVR >>> external DAC (Ares II?) >>> analog out

I don't see how to insert an external DAC into the digital domain (post DSP) that exists inside my AVR.

Any ideas how to do that? Any ideas for alternative AVR's?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been lurking for a couple of weeks now and thought I'd post.

I'm finally upgrading my existing system. I listen to streaming music (classic rock and jazz) at moderate sound levels and some movies. I've been listening to music as an "audiophile-lite" for almost 50 years. I worked as a young engineer in audio before my career split from that path.

Now I have the following 2 ch setup:

Bluesound Node optical out >>> harmon/kardon AVR 645 (oldie but goodie 90 watts/ch @ 8 ohms) >>> Wilson Audio Sophia (4 ohm, bought used for a steal)
Room is 13 x 25 feet
Testing Tidal and Qobuzz (prefer the UI of Tidal connect)

I'm looking to upgrade the AVR and DAC. I value room EQ very much as I perceive a significant improvement using my current AVR.

I recently bought a Denefrip Ares II but I realized that my AVR already converts everything to digital, does DSP, and then converts back to analog. Adding another dac into the loop is not a great idea so I' using my AVR's DAC now instead. FYI I'll be selling the Denafrip Ares II unless I can use it in my new setup in a sensible way.

I'm looking at buying a Denon AVR 3700. I could spend more but don't see anything worth an upgrade. My budget is approx $2k. Willing to entertain alternatives that are an AVR and have Audyssey or Dirac Live.

Now to my question - is there someway to use an external DAC with my AVR so that the path would be:

Bluesound Node >>> Digital in to AVR >>> internal DSP in AVR >>> external DAC (Ares II?) >>> analog out

I don't see how to insert an external DAC into the digital domain (post DSP) that exists inside my AVR.

Any ideas how to do that? Any ideas for alternative AVR's?
I don’t think your proposed path with the extra DAC is advisable - it doesn’t make any difference audibly and just costs money.

My humble advice. Either keep your old DAC or wait for the new X3800 as it is said to have both Audyssey and Dirac. Or if you want to pick up a deal, the outgoing X3700 has been reviewed very well here, but I guess you need to be quick as they might already be out of stock in many places.

OP
W

wiredrob

Took the plunge and bought a refurbished X3700 from Denon. Waiting on delivery.

I’d still like to find a way to use my Ares II as the only DAC in the signal path.

OP
W

wiredrob

@Weeb Labs knows how to do it.

Interesting. If I do this on the Denon, I can then take the external DAC and input it to the CD input which @amirn says is not digitized. That would work.

The signal path would then be:
Digital in >>> AVR DSP >>> weed labs hack digital out >>> external DAC analog out >>> CD input on x3700

Has anyone done the @weedlabs hack on the X3700 and can share with me?

Does anyone have a link or share of the x3700 service manual?

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Digital in >>> AVR DSP >>> weed labs hack digital out >>> external DAC analog out >>> CD input on x3700
Right. I assumed your chain would include an external power amplifier. But you’re planning to reroute it back into the AVR. In that case I’d agree with @HarmonicTHD - most probably not worth the hassle.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting. If I do this on the Denon, I can then take the external DAC and input it to the CD input which @amirn says is not digitized. That would work.

The signal path would then be:

Has anyone done the @weedlabs hack on the X3700 and can share with me?

Does anyone have a link or share of the x3700 service manual?
Wont work since your avr can't select both digital input and CD input at the same time.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This plan presumes you will hear some actual DAC-related difference. That's very unlikely.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My upgrade solution from a x3700 was to buy a used AKM version x8500 and three Audiophonics hypex stereo amplifiers. So I upgraded both the DAC and the amplifiers while maintaining Audessey.

Top Bottom