• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hasselblad X2D - 100 megapixel Mirrorless Camera

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What would be the equivalent in audio-land ?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What would be the equivalent in audio-land ?
Mola Mola DAC streamer maybe.

1662883542145.png

Ismapics

@amirm How did the get to $8500. Sony sensor, DJI ui and manufacturing, The photos looked amazing, cant beat massive megapixels and large sensors.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Didn't think I would ever see such a "low" price for a Hasselblad digital camera at around $8,500. Quality seems great as is the UI:

You should try the GFX100/GFX100s.

The ASR of photography is Jim Kasson’s blog in terms of the science although he just tests his own gear. He had ordered the new Hasselblad.

Narnian

If I was going to go crazy I would probably get the more affordable Fujifilm
You should try the GFX100/GFX100s.

The ASR of photography is Jim Kasson’s blog in terms of the science although he just tests his own gear. He had ordered the new Hasselblad.

I would go this route if I was going to go insane in my retirement. I have owned Fuji medium format cameras before and think they have a more complete (and affordable) system.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interestingly this the link mentions favorably the Fujifilm GXF 100S that uses the same 100 MP sensor. Gosh!!, the GXF 100S goes for "only" $6000 vs. the Hasselblad X2D's $8200 (at B&H).

I like this quote from the link ... "Instead of trying to attract general working professionals, Hasselblad may be trying to do what Leica does. Leica M series cameras are less "professional" and more luxurious. Although some may vehemently disagree, this is pretty clear based on the strategy that Leica implements and even based on the marketing firms that Leica works with. "

Yeah, targeting the "luxury" buyer vs. the buyer interested in best value is a obviously a strategy well know to high-end audiophile makers.

I won't be getting a Fujifilm GXF 100S any time soon but I am definitely enjoying my Fujifilm X-T2 and X-T10 cameras.

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
If you don’t like the $2200 difference in cost for the body, try to avoid comparing the lenses. ~$6k more for a kit, although the Hasselblad lenses are quite different. Still, not egregious to me as the Hasselblad looks like the better overall camera. Ergonomics/intuitive control are paramount, and I can’t tolerate the Fujis there. Not to mention the RAW files come out looking quite different.

Omar Cumming

Chasing more megapixels is the photographic equivalent of chasing a few more db of SINAD when you are already over 115. The law of diminishing returns set in.

Cheers

Last edited:

Tom C

Major Contributor
Since the image must be rendered to be viewed, what would be the use case for so many pixels? Hardcopy print media?

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that Fujifilm and Hasselblad have done much to popularize the larger-than-FF camera market, and while not trivial, the X2D's price still puts it within the realm of the higher-end shooter, rather than celebrities, influencers, and the luxury-goods market.

The combination of no optical low-pass filter and a highly-resolving sensor typical of this type of product, can deliver wonderful results - loads of detail and clarity, but with minimal aliasing artifacts. And any minor remaining artifacts can be dealt with using the 400 mp pixel-shift mode. Even on a 1080p computer screen, the level of detail can be readily enjoyed when zooming in, retouching and cropping.

Looks like a lovely and simple user interface, but will people inadvertently change camera settings when their noses brush against the touch screen?

Lack of video in X2D seems odd, as it sports what appear to be a pair of internal microphones. Apparent lack of connectivity to external devices suggests to me that, if video ever does arrive via firmware update, it will never be a major selling point. But I'm guessing that for cinema users, sensor sizes beyond FF are not nearly as big a factor as access to lenses, and super-35 and FF are where a lot of cinema lenses are.

I like what I see, but unlike the days of film, it's not clear to me that I see inherent advantages in larger sensor sizes per se, while the added bulk, weight, and yes, cost, can't be ignored.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom