• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A mini challenge to the forumers here...

dorakeg

I just want people to have an understanding of why many jargons and terms were created (many created long time ago). So, just want to throw out a mini challenge to all.

Let's just imagine you are living in around 1965. Say, you are an audiophile/hobbyist/engineer (title doesn't really matter). You love music, audio stuff etc, just like right now.

So, how are you going to actually doing what you are doing right now? How do you communicate with others about audio?

Do take note that vast majority of the things we have today don't exist back then. No internet, no Google, no mobile phones, no digital cameras, no printers. Computers are the size of classrooms and out of reach to many. Most testing/measuring equipment we have today is not available to the general public and extremely expensive.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Let's just imagine you are living in around 1965. How do you communicate with others about audio? No internet, no Google, no mobile phones, no digital cameras, no printers.
istockphoto-165632367-612x612.jpg

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Starting with this…

“I just want people to have an understanding of why many jargons and terms were created (many created long time ago). So, just want to throw out a mini challenge to all.”

And then jumping to this…

“So, how are you going to actually doing what you are doing right now? How do you communicate with others about audio?”

…makes it sound as if your plan is to educate people about audio terminology for some reason. I would wager that many people here were audio enthusiasts in the 1960s and can speak from experience exactly where the “jargon” originated. Maybe you are one of those people?

This is a challenge to forum members? I really don’t see the point. There are people around who can talk from experience. There may be others qualified to discuss linguistics and philology, and while that’s science related and could be interesting, it doesn’t seem like what you’re talking about.

Possibly I have misunderstood your original post. If that’s the case, I expect I’m not alone.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I just want people to have an understanding of why many jargons and terms were created (many created long time ago). So, just want to throw out a mini challenge to all.

Let's just imagine you are living in around 1965. Say, you are an audiophile/hobbyist/engineer (title doesn't really matter). You love music, audio stuff etc, just like right now.

So, how are you going to actually doing what you are doing right now? How do you communicate with others about audio?

Do take note that vast majority of the things we have today don't exist back then. No internet, no Google, no mobile phones, no digital cameras, no printers. Computers are the size of classrooms and out of reach to many. Most testing/measuring equipment we have today is not available to the general public and extremely expensive.
Back in 1965 magazine reviews were measurement led, at least for the older UK magazines I've seen. And companies were a lot more focused on measurement, simply because the high standards of today weren't achievable. Also, stereo equipment (at least in the UK) was jsut becoming affordable and popular, so you could easily run into people at work, in your family, or down the pub, who were educated by reading proper books and articles, or had built their own equipment and learnt a lot in the process. People had experience with radios and televisions working on similar principles back then, too.

My family didn't qualify for an interest in the field, but in 1980 - still no internet, etc - when I first got interested - I could find plenty of people who were already bemoaning a decline in standards among newcomers like me, the decline in standards in writing about audio, people working in dealerships who didn't know a thing about what was in the box but talked a lot about how certain not so good products were more "musical".

Indeed, one lesson I picked up from a chat at a hifi show back then (would have been 1982 for this) - "Don't these new manufacturers get that the basic measurements have lasted for a quarter of a century because they are the ones that, when you get them right, buyers who supposedly know nothing buy your products? That's how the Japanese companies have taken over".

So, here we are another forty years later. And we are finding that - the same basic measurements are still the ones to turn to, that we statistically are most likely to prefer the products with the "best" measurements when put to proper testing, and people are now turning back to measurement led reviewing, to say nothing of now having to relearn much of what was widely known back before my time. Really, ASR is "back to the future" underneath it all.

OP
D

dorakeg

Back in 1965 magazine reviews were measurement led, at least for the older UK magazines I've seen. And companies were a lot more focused on measurement, simply because the high standards of today weren't achievable. Also, stereo equipment (at least in the UK) was jsut becoming affordable and popular, so you could easily run into people at work, in your family, or down the pub, who were educated by reading proper books and articles, or had built their own equipment and learnt a lot in the process. People had experience with radios and televisions working on similar principles back then, too.

My family didn't qualify for an interest in the field, but in 1980 - still no internet, etc - when I first got interested - I could find plenty of people who were already bemoaning a decline in standards among newcomers like me, the decline in standards in writing about audio, people working in dealerships who didn't know a thing about what was in the box but talked a lot about how certain not so good products were more "musical".

Indeed, one lesson I picked up from a chat at a hifi show back then (would have been 1982 for this) - "Don't these new manufacturers get that the basic measurements have lasted for a quarter of a century because they are the ones that, when you get them right, buyers who supposedly know nothing buy your products? That's how the Japanese companies have taken over".

So, here we are another forty years later. And we are finding that - the same basic measurements are still the ones to turn to, that we statistically are most likely to prefer the products with the "best" measurements when put to proper testing, and people are now turning back to measurement led reviewing, to say nothing of now having to relearn much of what was widely known back before my time. Really, ASR is "back to the future" underneath it all.

It would be great if you could share some examples like what was measured etc...Most of us do not have any opportunity to see whats published in a 1960-70s audio magazine.

OP
D

dorakeg

Starting with this…

“I just want people to have an understanding of why many jargons and terms were created (many created long time ago). So, just want to throw out a mini challenge to all.”

And then jumping to this…

“So, how are you going to actually doing what you are doing right now? How do you communicate with others about audio?”

…makes it sound as if your plan is to educate people about audio terminology for some reason. I would wager that many people here were audio enthusiasts in the 1960s and can speak from experience exactly where the “jargon” originated. Maybe you are one of those people?

This is a challenge to forum members? I really don’t see the point. There are people around who can talk from experience. There may be others qualified to discuss linguistics and philology, and while that’s science related and could be interesting, it doesn’t seem like what you’re talking about.

Possibly I have misunderstood your original post. If that’s the case, I expect I’m not alone.

Its perfectly alright and I do not expect everyone to understand what I am talking about. As long as there is at least 1 person who can understand, its good enough.

OP
D

dorakeg

Post doesn't make much sense to me....nor do I care for much subjective audio terminology....

Its normal if it does not make any sense to you. This thread is never intended to make sense to everyone in this forum.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It would be great if you could share some examples like what was measured etc...Most of us do not have any opportunity to see whats published in a 1960-70s audio magazine.

Knock yourself out. There's several lifetimes worth of reading.

Start with Audio : https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Audio-Magazine.htm

OP
D

dorakeg

Vacceo

Major Contributor

The same way you would explain how a mullboard plow was implemented in the Middle Ages. Metaphors are fine for poetry and as examples once you have explained concepts.

OP
D

dorakeg

Direct conversation. Small group gatherings in local audio store, often after-hours.

Cool! I would say thats something we still in the 80s/90s. People gether around in the audio stores they frequent, chat with others other audio. Its really nice.

Sadly, those good old days are mostly gone. sigh....

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Cool! I would say thats something we still in the 80s/90s. People gether around in the audio stores they frequent, chat with others other audio. Its really nice.

Sadly, those good old days are mostly gone. sigh....
They are gone because the stores are mostly gone.

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

can-and-string-vector-id472313147

Galliardist

Major Contributor
They are gone because the stores are mostly gone.
The stores are mostly gone because the customers stopped coming.
The people who complain that the stores are mostly gone, are the same people who go to the store then buy what they decide on online for the cheaper price.

I still buy in store mostly, even though it's a depressing experience these days as the staff are the most outrageous subjectivists of all (mostly), and service has gone down the tubes. Still this time I got a better price on my overpriced equipment that way, because dealers are sometimes desperate for any sale they can.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
The stores are mostly gone because the customers stopped coming.
The people who complain that the stores are mostly gone, are the same people who go to the store then buy what they decide on online for the cheaper price.

I still buy in store mostly, even though it's a depressing experience these days as the staff are the most outrageous subjectivists of all (mostly), and service has gone down the tubes. Still this time I got a better price on my overpriced equipment that way, because dealers are sometimes desperate for any sale they can.
There was never a store around where I live.

Tom C

Major Contributor
Way long time ago, people used to gather in person, often in each other’s home. Some cities had audiophile societies, where interested parties gathered and sellers could present their wares. Some vestiges of these traditions remain.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In those circumstances I’m not going to attempt to communicate with anyone about it. That’s pretty much the case now anyway since last time I casually mentioned audio to someone at work who was actually interested in it he started telling me about the new upgraded fuse that he’d bought.

Top Bottom