• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM Review

Rate this IEM

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 21 3.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 73 12.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 493 82.2%

• Total voters

Zim

Forum Donor
I think the point of ear tips is to adapt to your ear canal shape, to your physiognomy. It’s not about modulating the frequency response, it’s about getting the perfect fit. I don’t see how which tips was measured would help since the fake ear of the measuring head is not your ear. No?
The two sets of ear tips that came with the Zeros have different inner diameters (see photo). I tried them both and it changed the sound.

Attachments

• 56164A07-C9DC-46FD-8BD8-0EE77F6A212D.jpeg
    56164A07-C9DC-46FD-8BD8-0EE77F6A212D.jpeg
    529.3 KB · Views: 54
  • FF1DE013-4239-4DFB-94F5-4FE4AA4A1314.jpeg
    FF1DE013-4239-4DFB-94F5-4FE4AA4A1314.jpeg
    659 KB · Views: 55

Here2Learn

What do you mean by "proper headphone amp?" What do you mean by "work on a phone?"

I believe harryharryharry is asking if the IEMs require to be driven by a dedicated/separate headphone amp unit, or if they can be sufficiently driven plugging them in to the 3.5mm audio jack on most mobile phones. I guess you'll potentially ask what is meant by "sufficiently". I think it's safe to assume it would be: as loud as the average person might wish to play them without noticeable distortion.

RJO

Seriously? You mean because of the Beryllium and the price or because the FD7 is much more off from Harman? I seriously doubt that the FD7 sounds in any objective way better.
I honestly don't know if the FD7 complies to the Harman curve but I know its FD5 closely does. But even if it doesn't I still think it sounds better after volume-level matching the two. Maybe it's the casing or beryllium drivers...I don't know. I'm just going by my ears YMMV

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve got the Zero and there’s a difference in the inner diameter of the ear tip sets of the two sets. Not sure if you can see clearly in the photo but the bottom set of ear tips have the larger inner diameter

my set of Zero’s came with two sets of silicone ear tips with different inner diameters. I’ve attached a photo to show the difference. Unsure if yours did. I noticed a sound difference between them.
It looks like you have a choice between large inner diameter or small inner diameter whilst the outside diameter is the same. So what I mean is, judging from that pic, there's two pairs with the same outside diameter, but then you get to choose whether you have the small inner diameter or the large inner diameter - and that seems to be replicated with the different sized outer diameters - always an option to have small or large inner diameter with whichever outer diameter version you choose. @amirm and/or @crinacle , which inner size diameter tips did you use for your measurements? (Or has @Zim been sent an "unusual" set of tips)

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The $20 7Hz-Salnotes Zero looks very promising when compared to these IEMs. At that price, however, I would expect its distortion to be higher, which is now a dealbreaker as this looks like my new standard. If I did not just purchase these, I would have purchased and sent the Salnotes in for review. Perhaps someone else is interested.

graph.png

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The two sets of ear tips that came with the Zeros have different inner diameters (see photo). I tried them both and it changed the sound.
Yes, the shenzhenaudio blurb suggests the narrower nozzle diameter enhances bass.

Garrincha

The $20 7Hz-Salnotes Zero looks very promising when compared to these IEMs. At that price, however, I would expect its distortion to be higher, which is now a dealbreaker as this looks like my new standard. If I did not just purchase these, I would have purchased and sent the Salnotes in for review. Perhaps someone else is interested.

View attachment 231011
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have the 7Hz Salnotes Zero and it is very fine. Distortion like tonality has very little if nothing to do with price. I haven´t seen measurements for the 7Hz, but for other cheaper ones and it was often lower than some $2000 IEMs. Unfortunately I cannot send in my Salnotes zero as I am in Brazil, but it costs just $25, maybe Amir is interested in purchasing it?

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, the shenzhenaudio blurb suggests the narrower nozzle diameter enhances bass.
When mine arrive in a few weeks I can measure them on my miniDSP EARS to see what the differences are between narrow & large inside diameter (although never measured IEM's on it, will have to see how that goes). I'd still like to know from Amir & Crinacle which inside diameter version they used for their measurements as a lot of folk would prefer to use the one that was measured. Of course you still have to choose the one with the correct outside diameter that fits your ear, but I'd like to know whether they used the large or narrow inner diameter version.

Zim

Forum Donor
Yeah one was definitely bassier than the other. That’s all I recall from when I first got them and compared. Am curious what the difference is when shown in a graph.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
When mine arrive in a few weeks I can measure them on my miniDSP EARS to see what the differences are between narrow & large inside diameter (although never measured IEM's on it, will have to see how that goes). I'd still like to know from Amir & Crinacle which inside diameter version they used for their measurements as a lot of folk would prefer to use the one that was measured. Of course you still have to choose the one with the correct outside diameter that fits your ear, but I'd like to know whether they used the large or narrow inner diameter version.
You've taken the iem plunge?!

Garrincha

I honestly don't know if the FD7 complies to the Harman curve but I know its FD5 closely does. But even if it doesn't I still think it sounds better after volume-level matching the two. Maybe it's the casing or beryllium drivers...I don't know. I'm just going by my ears YMMV
The FD5 does more or less so, but clearly less than the Truthear Zero. So what you are saying is purely subjective and not really based on anything besides your "ears". Why don´t you get the FDX, it is still more expensive than the FD7 and has a golden layer.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You've taken the iem plunge?!
Ha, yes, it's my first one ever! (apart from rubbish ipod standard things from around year 2005, which I don't use anymore for years) I don't think I'll be a fan or inserting stuff into my ears as it must surely push wax back in, but given the fantastic measurements and pretty cheap price it was a no brainer to try out of curiosity and as a potential reference to go along with my other gear......it'll be interesting to compare it to my over ears. Who knows, it might be revelatory for me in terms of sound quality......but possibly not as I'm used to HD560s tuned to Harman (through EQ) which should be pretty darn accurate already.

RJO

Sure everyone is entitled to their opinion.
I usually don t know what to do with another persons opinion or preferences as these most certainly differ from mine and vice versa.

That’s why Harman conducted controlled, unsighted ABX test to determine what the average listener of a large test group prefers. Of course as there is also some standard deviation from the average, it might very well be that some individual people have different preferences than average. So what, EQ is your friend.
I'm not so sure EQ can fix having more layers of detail or depth in sound, and I'm not even against Harman.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ha, yes, it's my first one ever! (apart from rubbish ipod standard things from around year 2005, which I don't use anymore for years) I don't think I'll be a fan or inserting stuff into my ears as it must surely push wax back in, but given the fantastic measurements and pretty cheap price it was a no brainer to try out of curiosity and as a potential reference to go along with my other gear......it'll be interesting to compare it to my over ears. Who knows, it might be revelatory for me in terms of sound quality......but possibly not as I'm used to HD560s tuned to Harman (through EQ) which should be pretty darn accurate already.
Youve no doubt seen it said before but a snug fit/seal is key (from correct size tip for your ears) . This is a handy test if you have it right- low and high sounding roughly the same volume..(i prefer alternating tones) https://asiaudio.com/pages/audio-seal-test

This test has shown me even when I thought I had the proper seal (internal voice sounds like when you cover your ears), I still didnt. The bass was a bit lower on the test. Went up a tip size, brought the bass right up.

This is a really fun review. On paper it meets all the criteria of a really excellent IEM at a very reasonable price point. A good chunk of objective reviews online point this out but then has criticisms about its grain, instrument separation, and detail. There is almost always a caveat of for the price but due to its price point it is easy to justify trying. It will be interesting using these in comparison to other Harman complaint headphones like the AKG N400 or the Etymotic ER2/4XR and their house curve.

Reactions: RJO

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, on paper you would have to say neither nailed Harman. The 7 is a flatter 5, or the 5 is a more V shaped 7.

I like the FD5- very open sounding . I lower the bass 100-400 hz more down to the Harman line as its too boomy to me as stock.

Neither are what I would signpost as being an example of Harman tuning. The Truthear looks to be.

I will no doubt find it a bit too bassy!

graph (1).png

Zim

Forum Donor
That would be lovely. I commented on @crinacle ’s YouTube video on the Zero’s asking which ear tips he used for his measurements but alas, no response. Hoping @amirm can provide the measurements and info.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Combine an IEM with a good Bluetooth device, and you have one of the most convenient combos ever.
I’ve become addicted to the damn things. Super comfortable and you can rest your head against a pillow with them in. I fall asleep every night with them in. Put some chill rhythm stuff on and sleep great. Sound is pretty good with the 5k to flavor to taste. This will be my 6th IEM. Favorites so far are Blon-03 $20 bucks and has great bass and clarity best 20 bucks ever spent on audio gear. Step up to the MEE AUDIO PLANAMIC $70. Better fit and comfort slightly better sound range. The best so far is the MOONDROP KXXX IEM $150. This is my favorite so far. Really great bass and comfortable and can take EQ without distortion setting in. A couple others that were waste of money and time. Just another rabbit hole but I get my money back from enjoying them.

Top Bottom