• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM Review

Rate this IEM

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 21 3.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 73 12.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 493 82.2%

• Total voters

PeteL

Major Contributor
@amirm Which tips did you use for measuring? They provided a couple of variations for the silicone tips with different nozzle sizes and never specified which one complied to the Harman curve. Also curious about what one or the other does to the sound.
I think the point of ear tips is to adapt to your ear canal shape, to your physiognomy. It’s not about modulating the frequency response, it’s about getting the perfect fit. I don’t see how which tips was measured would help since the fake ear of the measuring head is not your ear. No?

Vovgan

Forum Donor
Ahh, finally a great earphone that can be used with my iPhone and it’s dongle on the go without eq! Ordered on Aliexpress.

We need to test the new Apple AirPods Pro when they start selling soon. The sound is claimed to be improved, and noise cancellation is a great feature.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the point of ear tips is to adapt to your ear canal shape, to your physiognomy. It’s not about modulating the frequency response, it’s about getting the perfect fit.
Yes and no. If I want more highs, it's one of the silicone tips. If I want to tame the highs, it's foam. There are some that sit in between and are balanced. The different sizes help with your ear fit.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Yes and no. If I want more highs, it's one of the silicone tips. If I want to tame the highs, it's foam. There are some that sit in between and are balanced. The different sizes help with your ear fit.
Ha, ok, I was thinking size, not choice of material. My IEMs only came with Silicone. What’s « in between » silicon and foam?

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ha, ok, I was thinking size, not choice of material. My IEMs only came with Silicone. What’s « in between » silicon and foam?
My Fiio came with two different silicone tips, one red and one black. One sounds a little bit brighter than the other. I think that the hole size is a little bit different but I don't have them here to check at the moment.

respice finem

Major Contributor
This is a review, listening tests and measurements of the Truthear Crinacle Zero IEM review. It was sent to me by @crinacle as he has been a consultant on the project. It costs US $50.
View attachment 230789

I like that it has a bit of "bling" but not too much. The cord is just the right length for me (many IEMs are too short for my use). It is super flexible with very little microphonics. You get two sets of silicone pads in three different sizes which suites me fine. I wear the largest one and it stays nicely put.

The claim to fame of this IEM is that it complies with the Harman target. Let's see if that is the case.

Truthear Crinnacle Zero IEM Measurements
Let's start with our frequency response measurement:
View attachment 230790

I must say I was not prepared for such a tight fit to our target! Other than a hair droop at 20 Hz and a bit deviation here and there, the response hugs our target a wet towel! Very nice. This renders our difference frequency response kind of useless:
View attachment 230791

Distortion is good enough at lower levels but gets a bit much at maximum SPL:
View attachment 230792
View attachment 230793

Group delay is not revealing for IEMs and such is the case here:
View attachment 230794

Impedance shows evidence of some tuning in bass frequencies:

View attachment 230795

The low impedance means many amps and sources can drive it but it is very low. Sensitive is on the low side as well for an IEM:
View attachment 230796

Truthear Crinnacle Zero IEM Listening Tests
As usual I start with my female vocals. My first reference track had excellent warmth courtesy of proper low frequency response. This continued from track to track with tonality that was just delightful. It not only sounds "right" but also enjoyable. The sound you get is like the best speaker in best room with no room modes. Of course there is no tactile feedback so deep bass doesn't sound the same but you get the picture.

I cranked up the volume on it and it kind of gets loud but I thought the bass started to gradually get distorted. Not a practical problem as you are not going to want to listen at those unsafe volumes.

I am sitting here typing this review and listening to it and marveling how nice every track sounds!

Conclusions
What on earth are you doing reading the rest of this review? Go and buy one of these! I don't care if you don't listen to IEMs normally. You want this IEM so you know what correct tonality is, when you listen with other transducers such as headphones and speakers. Think of it as the tuning fork that a musician uses! This IEM needs to be in your arsenal.

For those of you who use IEMs as I do in summer months (headphones wear too hot), you are in for a treat for peanuts out of your pocket. The science works. Kudos to @crinacle for advocating this execution. We are indebted to you for your contribution here.

I am happy to strongly recommend the Truthear Crinnacle Zero IEM. It brings that incredible harmony of technical excellence and superbly low purchase price.

----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Two "world records" in two days, not bad...
I already got too many headphones, but at this price, I might soon have one more too many :cool:

/ordered, before the price goes up, already 55 € in Germany

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am with you on this, find it hard to get any Iems to stay firmly put and with a great seal. Other don't have issues. weird thing for me it's only the right ear the problem. absolutely don't have any fit issues with the left. Try many tips and yes tried different tips on left and right. One day maybe I'll find the perfect tip for me but so far it's an issue. I still use Iems but keep refitting, every few minutes and it does get on my nerves and is detrimental to my enjoyment of music in the end.
Ever tried Azla Sednaearfit Xelastec ? They have a certain stickiness and work just fine for me, even with IEMs that were problematic at first. They are a bit expensive but worth the money.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Ever tried Azla Sednaearfit Xelastec ? They have a certain stickiness and work just fine for me, even with IEMs that were problematic at first. They are a bit expensive but worth the money.
I’ll look it up thanks.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Ahh, finally a great earphone that can be used with my iPhone and it’s dongle on the go without eq! Ordered on Aliexpress.

We need to test the new Apple AirPods Pro when they start selling soon. The sound is claimed to be improved, and noise cancellation is a great feature.
Yes, this earphone can be driven by an iPhone dongle because it has a low output impedance. Not so with every dongle.

Ginger3

OK, purchased on Amazon. Opinions please: do these need a dedicated headphone amp? With low impedance and sensitivity, would the headphone jack on my TEAC AI 301 DA do them justice?

Phantomuser

Forum Donor
Wow , what a great result and so cheap!
I ordered a pair from amazon.
Should work well with my topping g5
I just hope they stay put in my ears unlike all the other iems Ive bought.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm Which tips did you use for measuring? They provided a couple of variations for the silicone tips with different nozzle sizes and never specified which one complied to the Harman curve. Also curious about what one or the other does to the sound.
??? I don't think there is a variation with tips. Anyway, i used the medium sized one.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OK, purchased on Amazon. Opinions please: do these need a dedicated headphone amp? With low impedance and sensitivity, would the headphone jack on my TEAC AI 301 DA do them justice?
I would try it with whatever you have before spending money on an amp.

NYfan2

Forum Donor
Ordered,
It will take 2 weeks with Amazon to Europe so I have to be patient.

Top Bottom