• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tidal reportedly enabling bit-perfect playback to USB DAC on Android

uudruid74

Pretty sure it's flac if you set it up right. Chromecast audio im talking about.
Tidal does not support the extended capabilities of Chromecast Audio. I've asked them. What special "setup" are you referring to?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Tidal does not support the extended capabilities of Chromecast Audio. I've asked them. What special "setup" are you referring to?
Kindly copy the tidal support message that says they won't cast flac, because plenty of people know it does. See the Reddit thread I posted above. Also, just now, 2 screen shots.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220430-055613.png
    Screenshot_20220430-055613.png
    969.4 KB · Views: 102
  • Screenshot_20220430-055839.png
    Screenshot_20220430-055839.png
    896.3 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

uudruid74

Kindly copy the tidal support message that says they won't cast flac, because plenty of people know it does. See the Reddit thread I posted above. Also, just now, 2 screen shots.
You misunderstood what I said. I said I had heard they only stream AAC to Chromecasts from Tidal servers AND they specifically said they dont support the extended capabilities of Chromecast Audio, meaning the higher sample rates and bit depth. Two separate issues. As for the support message, that was ages ago. I'm not digging it out. Ask them yourself.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You misunderstood what I said. I said I had heard they only stream AAC to Chromecasts from Tidal servers AND they specifically said they dont support the extended capabilities of Chromecast Audio, meaning the higher sample rates and bit depth. Two separate issues. As for the support message, that was ages ago. I'm not digging it out. Ask them yourself.
OK. So tidal haven't told you they only stream AAC to cast devices. You "heard" that. See various posts above where it's clear they can and do stream flac to cast devices.

And I didn't say "special set up", I set you can get flac to Chromecast of you "set it up right". That is to say ask tell the controlling app to stream in hifi /lossless mode not normal.

uudruid74

OK. So tidal haven't told you they only stream AAC to cast devices. You "heard" that. See various posts above where it's clear they can and do stream flac to cast devices.

And I didn't say "special set up", I set you can get flac to Chromecast of you "set it up right". That is to say ask tell the controlling app to stream in hifi /lossless mode not normal.
Thats not much of a "setup". I generally dont cast much except to my front porch or shop and other stuff like that where quality isnt a big concern. I dont cast from Tidal at all because it stutters and times out even though I have plenty of bandwidth. Every other app can stream to those devices but Tidal so I just gave up on them.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thats not much of a "setup". I generally dont cast much except to my front porch or shop and other stuff like that where quality isnt a big concern. I dont cast from Tidal at all because it stutters and times out even though I have plenty of bandwidth. Every other app can stream to those devices but Tidal so I just gave up on them.
I'm really bit sure what your problem is then. Tidal can cast flac, you have nothing to substantiate your post that it can only cast in aac and you've been shown evidence it can cast in flac. Are we done?

Blorg

ddHiFi TC44B - Tidal shows a DAC connection request, but if you agree then Tidal freezes.
I got this as well, I got the pop-up but Tidal would freeze if I accepted.

Workaround for me: start Tidal playing something (through the phone speaker) before you plug in the USB-C. Then with it actually playing, plug in the USB-C, it will pop up the request and then you can accept it, and it seems to click off and on and works OK.

EDIT: I spoke too soon, the above works on a "HiFi" track but Tidal then crashes if it gets to a "Master" track. It's not clear to me if it is actually getting sending bit-perfect after accepting either, I seem to still get Android switch on/off noises mixed in so seems to still be going through the mixer.

Last edited:

Kyniu

For me Bit-perfect in Tidal native android app works on:
- Lenovo Yoga TAB 11 + Topping DX5
- Samsung A52 + Topping DX5

Doesn't work
- Lenovo Yoga TAB 11 + Topping DX3 Pro
- Samsung A52 + Topping DX3 Pro

It looks like they are focusing on devices which are supporting MQA - Topping DX5 does, Topping DX3 Pro doesn't

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Doesn't work

It looks like they are focusing on devices which are supporting MQA - Topping DX5 does, Topping DX3 Pro doesn't

Now that is interesting! Is that the new DX3 pro plus or the older version?

pedros_2005

Doesn't work

This is because DX5 is a full mqa decoder device and DX3 Pro isn't...

Kyniu

This is because DX5 is a full mqa decoder device and DX3 Pro isn't...
It's pitty that if someone want's to listen to Tidal HIFI on app without MQA capable, but good DACs, he cannot utilize BitPerfect and bypass shity Android native driver :/

nerone

If I transmit Tidal via Usb Audio player Pro to the Chromecast Aidio optically connected to the Topping E30 it reaches 96 khz while if I do it from the proprietary Tidal app it won't
How is it possible?

staticV3

Master Contributor
It's pitty that if someone want's to listen to Tidal HIFI on app without MQA capable, but good DACs, he cannot utilize BitPerfect and bypass shity Android native driver :/
He can using USB Audio Player Pro

Smislov

Mecool KM2 android tv box (android10) with topping ex5 is not working. With optikal is 48 / usb out 96Khz. Maybe this is because Mecool is not support usb audio out (I enabled usb audio out in developer options)

Attachments

• 6E7FE2B3-CF4C-47AD-992E-9060FF8822ED.jpeg
    6E7FE2B3-CF4C-47AD-992E-9060FF8822ED.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Smislov

Xiaomi Note 9 with android 10 and topping ex5 is working:)

Attachments

• 2776E7EE-2C61-49E0-8628-8F5F2EA4E491.jpeg
    2776E7EE-2C61-49E0-8628-8F5F2EA4E491.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 09D50FD2-1E20-4B48-B501-48869828D327.jpeg
    09D50FD2-1E20-4B48-B501-48869828D327.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 103

Daveya.

Ok, downloaded Audio player pro, cost £10.48 UK to buy and get MQA, started 3 month Tidal trial

Using Qudelix 5k and Sundara with Oratory PEQ, Sony Xperia 5 iV

So, compared the Sony LDAC ultra HD from Amazon to The usb Audio pro and Tidals MQA.

And..... can't hear any difference

atx1969

I have an iFi hipdac 2 DAC, which is a full MQA decoder, when connecting to my phone I do get the "Allow TIDAL to access iFi HD USB audio"? And Tidal works perfectly BUT it doesn't allow the DAC to do the full decoding and the Tidal software does the first unfolding (purple light).
When using UAPP in Bit-Perfect mode it passes the digital signal without Android's re-sampling and the DAC does the full decoding (Blue or Green light)
So in my opinion the Bit-Perfect Tidal functionality does skip the Android's re-sampling process but to the expense of doing the first unfolding via the Tidal software and not allowing the DAC to do the full decode.
Not sure if it is an incompatibility issue between Tidal, Android and the hipdac2 or its just the way it works.
Will like to hear from anyone getting full decoding with a similar portable DAC and Tidal.

Top Bottom