• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audioquest GO-4 Speaker Cable Review

Rate this cable:

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 276 97.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My perspective is that the sellers of snake oil humiliate themselves in the act of creating and hawking such products and outright lies. Likewise, whatever education results, is aimed at those open to it, more likely to be the potential buyers, not the sellers of these products. Amir is simply the messenger of scientific results. Whatever humiliation or education is up to the recipient of that message and outside of the scientific method who's motivation is irrelevant, unless it creates bias. I don't think that Einstein was "humiliating" Newton by blowing gravity out of the water... and if so... too damn bad.

It would have been humiliating if Newton was stating his things after Einstein :) not the other way building open and refining Newton’s laws .

It was known that normal well designed audio cables was all we ever needed before audioquest or any of these brands opened for business .

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Haven't we all by now seen enough measurements about cables to safely conclude that the only reason you'd go premium is for aesthetics? And even the quite possible fact that, the more expensive a cable it, the higher the chance it actually introduces unwanted effects?

I got to admit I don't use basic cables in my main system, I have a penchant for AnalysisPlus cables but I haven't the remotest illusion they improve the sound... :) But when friends ask me for help, I recommend stuff like BlueJeans cables (they also look pretty good!) if they worry about cabling. Looks great for a fraction of the $.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Audioquest about Dielectric Bias System: "ensures that radio-frequency noise will not be induced into the signal conductors from the DBS field elements. (DBS, US Pat #s 7,126,055 & 7,872,195 B1)"
This gives me hope I can patent my self-made green dragon killer sword.
Still could have been interesting to know if it does that.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there anything this company doesn't lie about?
Depends on whether they also claim that the "Lifetime batteries included".;)

garbz

Haven't we all by now seen enough measurements about cables to safely conclude that the only reason you'd go premium is for aesthetics?
Of course we have, but then some cable company will come out and tout how much better their cable is than all the others due to the development of a proprietary graphene lattice confabulator which reorients the wavephase to further reduce audio distortion and elevate the listening experience beyond normal perceived consciousness.

So we need to test that bullshit and prove it wrong too.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course we have, but then some cable company will come out and tout how much better their cable is than all the others due to the development of a proprietary graphene lattice confabulator which reorients the wavephase to further reduce audio distortion and elevate the listening experience beyond normal perceived consciousness.

So we need to test that bullshit and prove it wrong too.
... and... The more the snake oil speaker wire companies squirm due to @amirm's reviews the better. :D

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Haven't we all by now seen enough measurements about cables to safely conclude that the only reason you'd go premium is for aesthetics? And even the quite possible fact that, the more expensive a cable it, the higher the chance it actually introduces unwanted effects?

I got to admit I don't use basic cables in my main system, I have a penchant for AnalysisPlus cables but I haven't the remotest illusion they improve the sound... :) But when friends ask me for help, I recommend stuff like BlueJeans cables (they also look pretty good!) if they worry about cabling. Looks great for a fraction of the $.
Ha, I agree, enough with the cable reviews, or actually best to set cable reviews to one a quarter or something just to keep the "truth about cables" alive - keep it ticking over.....trickle in the cable reviews!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You have a point. When I buy large gauge extension cord on sale to use as speaker run, I'll pay a little extra for the red colored jacket. Orange just makes the music too forward!

PeteL

Major Contributor
I have extensively tested the DBS in one of their other cables. See: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...t-victoria-audio-cable-with-dbs-review.14683/
I am sure it does nothing, but I still don't find the demonstration that it don't reject RF induced interference. You said "How energizing an insulator traps RF works is based on principles above any known physics so don't know how to test that without alien technology" Just to clarify, there is no way to do something about that with the current state of science? I've had radio stations faintly creeping in my audio chain in the past, not in my current setup. I'd be interested to learn more about this phenomenon. I know you'll say it's because my electronics where poorly designed and that it should be rejected, but how? maybe not that, and certainly not at that price, but it would have been interesting to know if it does something when RF are interfering. It's OK to state that you don't have the possibility to measure that, I am just curious if it does reduce them.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
It's not the same thing, these audiophool companies are touting false claims under the guise of "science", it's false.....it's not the same parallel.
Interesting take on falseness.
I understand your view.

I am drawing more of a 'forest' parallel in that people do all sorts of foolish things all over the diaspora and beyond & the commenter was wondering why in audio and I was suggesting how not in audio? (Where it is easy to trick cats in being sheep)

If you draw a 'trees' parallel then yes indeed the analogy ought to be more specific to false engineering claims or similar.

In any case I absolutely love the snake oil busting reviews and feel we need many, many more so in no way am I attempting anything more than sincerity at enjoying some of the philosophical asides...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Just to clarify, there is no way to do something about that with the current state of science?
Measurement is not the issue. The issue is that what they say doesn't follow any physical science. Testing for it will be quite involved in needing special controlled environment to simulate RF conditions. You wouldn't want to do this if there is nothing to the device under test in that regard.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Measurement is not the issue. The issue is that what they say doesn't follow any physical science. Testing for it will be quite involved in needing special controlled environment to simulate RF conditions. You wouldn't want to do this if there is nothing to the device under test in that regard.
Yes, simulate an environment with RF interference is the tricky part. That there is nothing to the device under test, you are probably right, I'll take your word for it.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From an electronic testing and analysis standpoint, I think ASR has proven that there exist no signal reproduction difference in speaker cables. So my question: what does the average forum member consider the appropriate price to pay for a pair of 12-foot speaker cables with quality connections on each end? I've generally made my own in the past from modestly priced wire and connectors I purchased for maybe a grand total of $25. And what gauge wire to you folks prefer? I have typically used 14-gauge.

They can actually make a small difference that is measurable if you have an unfortunate combination of low impedance speakers small gauge cable and long cables the frequency deviations could get at fractions of dB that can be audible . But it’s easily rectified with common sense and cost is negligible you just pick a thicker cable.

Signal cables are better there we can say that they are practically the same sound wise , they must be fairly broken to have deviations that are audible like the unscreened kimber cable in the wrong setting ?

You can always measure something different in a cable , but it’s usually not where it matters.

egellings

Major Contributor
With the electrostatic headphones, the charge on the diaphragm does something. Remove the charge and the ESL will go quiet; remove the charge on the cable and nothing happens.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
With the electrostatic headphones, the charge on the diaphragm does something. Remove the charge and the ESL will go quiet; remove the charge on the cable and nothing happens.
That's a mechanical device with very high bias voltage. A speaker cable is not mechanical.

egellings

Major Contributor
True, they are different like that. The mechanical device requires the charge in order to work at all. The cable does not need the charge in order to work.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From an electronic testing and analysis standpoint, I think ASR has proven that there exist no signal reproduction difference in speaker cables. So my question: what does the average forum member consider the appropriate price to pay for a pair of 12-foot speaker cables with quality connections on each end? I've generally made my own in the past from modestly priced wire and connectors I purchased for maybe a grand total of $25. And what gauge wire to you folks prefer? I have typically used 14-gauge.
Personally, I use a 12' pair of Canare 4s11 Quad Star, I purchased at B&H Photo video or around $120. I have it terminated on one end with spades and on the other with banana plugs on the theory, I'll always have a way to connect just about any amp to just about any pair of speakers. It's 11 gauge, and can be terminated to be two 14 gauge cables in the same jacket, if bi-amping--so a very neat potential solution to the proliferation of wires which some setups entail. Thick but hardly garden hose, let alone anaconda thick.

It's the exact same cable, btw, that Benchmark Media sells and recommends for use with the AHB2. So should be more than good enough.

Last edited:
Top Bottom