• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audioquest GO-4 Speaker Cable Review

Rate this cable:

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 276 97.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters

Aperiodic

Forum Donor
Expectation bias is what keeps companies like this in business in today's deep-end audiophile world, which is mainly about conspicuous consumption, not enjoyment of music

Last edited:

kaopad999

Nice review, i'm certainly a sceptic when it comes to cables, but may i ask, did you do any listening tests?

F1308

Major Contributor
Didn't bought any because I saw there were no diamonds surrounding the "pull from here" area of the cables, nor any solar or moonar or jupiterar charging for the 72 volt battery.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice review, i'm certainly a sceptic when it comes to cables, but may i ask, did you do any listening tests?
I don't mean to sound snarky (well... maybe a little), but your question is sort of like being told that based on the chemical properties of cyanide, if you put it in the Kool Aid and drink it, it will kill you, and you reply, "Yes. You're probably right. But did you actually drink it to find out?"

Tks

Major Contributor
Lol couldn't even deliver on the oxidation claims.

Is there anything this company doesn't lie about? Man, the laws concerning this stuff are just garbage..

F1308

Major Contributor
I slid my meter over the terminations and whenever it hit an oxidized spot, it would add about 0.1 ohm of resistance! Both the spade and banana ends had this problem. Not good.
The oxidized spot issue is of utmost interest to me and I will appreciate any further development if you please, regarding that 0.1 ohm increase and it's effect.

Thank you.

lc6

For Star Trek fans, I believe at least a few of The Ferengi Rules of Acquisition are applicable here:

1662992715792.jpeg

1662992728221.jpeg

1662992738579.jpeg

kaopad999

What would be the point?
Just through pure curiosity. As i said i'm on the side of speaker cables making little to no difference. but i'm very curious why so many trained ears say that they are able to hear the difference?

kaopad999

I don't mean to sound snarky (well... maybe a little), but your question is sort of like being told that based on the chemical properties of cyanide, if you put it in the Kool Aid and drink it, it will kill you, and you reply, "Yes. You're probably right. But did you actually drink it to find out?"
Tat's fair enough and like i have stated i'm a real skeptic when it comes to speaker cables. But let's take this scenario. if some cables were somehow able to produce better imaging or soundstage, would that be measurable?

BTW I'm not trolling, i'm open minded and willing to listen and be proven wrong

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Just through pure curiosity. As i said i'm on the side of speaker cables making little to no difference. but i'm very curious why so many trained ears say that they are able to hear the difference?
Pycoaucstics and confirmation biases, expectation biases and more.

Blind testing where you don't know what is what would be required here.

Think of blind wine testing revealing very interesting realities or experiments in simply changing the label and price of the same wine and many(not all) folks get fooled(create an experience of value in their mind).

kaopad999

Pycoaucstics and confirmation biases, expectation biases and more.

Blind testing where you don't know what is what would be required here.

Think of blind wine testing revealing very interesting realities or experiments in simply changing the label and price of the same wine and many(not all) folks get fooled(create an experience of value in their mind).
What i don't understand is even if they did make a small amont of difference, why would people invest thousands on them when surely the sensible thing would be to invest the that money into better speakers or amplification, or even room treatment?

I wonder, Have there been any tests done with let's say the shittest cable possible and then compared with a set of reasonably priced speakers cables, or does every single speaker cable messure the same regardless of price and quality?

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Simply because they are getting paid to say and make incredible claims that this improves the sound! Look no further than the ads that fill the spaces of their website/channels and you have all the evidence you need.

Hipster Doofus

Forum Donor
Ahhh … if only science could spread to popular lifestyle items …like belief in fungus and …new research into LSD as a cure all for ptsd and the like…I admit to knowing as much about these topics as electronics… but somehow Amirm has illuminated the snake oil genie in all areas of life…

so sad as it was easier to just say “that makes sense” and be able to believe in myths. Darn you Amirm!!,,.
Brings-so much more meaning to the phase “a inconvenient truth”

DonR

Major Contributor
I wonder, Have there been any tests done with let's say the shittest cable possible and then compared with a set of reasonably priced speakers cables, or does every single speaker cable messure the same regardless of price and quality?
The coat hanger test. It has been revived.

tl;dr the coat hanger actually wins.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Yes, the bias box was on and running. I didn't measure the cable length but was about 8 feet. Due to oxidation of the terminals, I gave up on measuring the cable resistance. Finally, I used the cable pair as balanced connection for frequency response.
Presumably the 72 Volt supply was being used to stress the cable’s dielectric?

Top Bottom