• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a headphone with good bass and subbass for EDM, progressive house music

ktrevious

Hi there,

I currently own a pair of Sundaras and DCA Aeon Closed X. I really enjoy the sound of both of these headphones, to me they sound more similar than different, and I have EQ'd them both close to Oratory's settings, with a few db added in the 150hz and under range. I mostly listen to deadmau5 and other electronic artists, so I am wondering if there exists a different headphone that would be better for this type of music. I have been looking at some headphones with bio-cellulose drivers (Fostex, E-mu, etc.) and wonder if those would be a good option? Do you have any other suggestions? Does an open-back headphone exist that can provide the bass kick I am looking for?

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm surprised that you don't think the Sundara's are cutting the mustard for your EDM needs. I listen to lots of deadmau5 and various genres of electronic music with my Hifiman He400se and they're definitely not lacking in bass. Unless you're looking for headphones that have an obvious FR that favors higher bass than you'd be better off with Meze Classic's which have a pronounced bass.

OP
K

ktrevious

I'm surprised that you don't think the Sundara's are cutting the mustard for your EDM needs. I listen to lots of deadmau5 and various genres of electronic music with my Hifiman He400se and they're definitely not lacking in bass. Unless you're looking for headphones that have an obvious FR that favors higher bass than you'd be better off with Meze Classic's which have a pronounced bass.
I do enjoy them, especially EQ'd. I guess I am just chasing the dragon and wondering if there is something better out there.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do enjoy them, especially EQ'd. I guess I am just chasing the dragon and wondering if there is something better out there.
Planar bass is a beast unto its own, if you like planar bass then there are literally very few dynamic driver topology headphones that will do bass justice. Just my two cents.

OP
K

ktrevious

Planar bass is a beast unto its own, if you like planar bass then there are literally very few dynamic driver topology headphones that will do bass justice. Just my two cents.
Alright, well maybe I'll save my pennies and enjoy what I have. Thanks for your input.

Reactions: GDK

asrUser

I have been looking at some headphones with bio-cellulose drivers (Fostex, E-mu, etc.) and wonder if those would be a good option?
I found Sundaras to be more impactful than DCA headphones. You did a good research as Fostex TH-610 or E-Mu Teak could be the headphones you're looking for. E-Mu Teak got more bass than the Fostex. You could also try open-back headphones such as Beyerdynamic DT900 Pro X and eq them.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You are on the right track with the Fostex /Denon /Emu lines. Now, what I don't know is how much different one of those EQd to the same level of bass as your Sundaras will be. An interesting experiment.

But if you were looking for best bass from stock, that's where I would go.

OP
K

ktrevious

You are on the right track with the Fostex /Denon /Emu lines. Now, what I don't know is how much different one of those EQd to the same level of bass as your Sundaras will be. An interesting experiment.

But if you were looking for best bass from stock, that's where I would go.
I EQ all my headphones anyway, so maybe the difference isn't worth the money. But I'll keep an eye out for the teaks going on sale. It looks like the E-mus are on Drop right now, but only with the bamboo cups. I was also looking at the Hifiman He6se, but those are $600 and I would need to upgrade from my JDS Labs Atom amp to something more powerful. Not sure if spending $800 for a new amp like a Magnius + He6se would be a worthwhile upgrade from the Sundara.

asrUser

I EQ all my headphones anyway, so maybe the difference isn't worth the money. But I'll keep an eye out for the teaks going on sale. It looks like the E-mus are on Drop right now, but only with the bamboo cups.
You can also order from E-Mu directly with or without detachable cables. You are better off to buy headphones with detachable cables.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Hi there,

I currently own a pair of Sundaras and DCA Aeon Closed X. I really enjoy the sound of both of these headphones, to me they sound more similar than different, and I have EQ'd them both close to Oratory's settings, with a few db added in the 150hz and under range. I mostly listen to deadmau5 and other electronic artists, so I am wondering if there exists a different headphone that would be better for this type of music. I have been looking at some headphones with bio-cellulose drivers (Fostex, E-mu, etc.) and wonder if those would be a good option? Do you have any other suggestions? Does an open-back headphone exist that can provide the bass kick I am looking for?

I have the DCA aeon noire EQ'd to oratorys . If you want more bass and more exciting treble.i can recommend the Meze Liric. (I got them as well).

aromig

Hi there,

For an open-back with substantial bass, I would recommend the AKG K245. It has a Harman tuned sound similar to the K371, but with much stronger bass. And unlike most open-backs, it has deep extension.

AKG K245.png

It won't be as detailed or have the technical prowess of a planar or biodynamic driver, but I think the sound profile would be right up your alley.

jdan1457

I've got Modhouse Argon mk3 and Hifiman Edition XS. I think they both have good bass and can really slam with or without EQ.

I also have the he6se v2, and find they have a little less subbass than the Argons and the Edition XS.

The Argons have the most bass though. Ive only tried with the ZMF protein pads and they slam, they're the best bass I've heard.

I'm using a topping E70V/L70 stack and the Argons respond well with lots of power.

Top Bottom