• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking to add room correction to SVS and Genelec G threes

spudger

Hi,

I am looking to add room correction to my setup which consists of an Audiolab 8000s (90s UK version), one SVS SB1000 (non-pro version) and a pair of Genelec G Threes.
It's connected as follows:

Audiolab (in pre-amp mode) -> Subwoofer -> Genelecs.

The sub manual says its line level outputs feature a fixed 80 Hz 12 dB/octave high pass filter.

My sources are a Chromecast audio, TV and a PS4.
I have been thinking of getting a minidsp flex or I could stretch the budget to a Denon AVR such as the 3700h.

I not sure which is better in this case any advice welcome, thanks.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
MiniDSP Flex is an easy choice, assuming you can find a way to connect everything.

X3700H is much more expensive, so I'm assuming you're okay with the price over the Flex.

X3800H is about to be released...I think this month? :)
Personally, I'd wait to see a review of it by Amir, but I don't know your urgency.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Question is: do you actually use any other features of the Denon? Do you have use for the video features and things like Atmos decoding? Do you have any plans to expand to surround?

OP
S

spudger

Question is: do you actually use any other features of the Denon? Do you have use for the video features and things like Atmos decoding? Do you have any plans to expand to surround?
No plans for surround or video features. Might add a second sub for 2.2.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No plans for surround or video features. Might add a second sub for 2.2.
In that case, I’d go with the flex. Dirac trumps Audyssy in most cases.

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am using a flex for a Genelec 2.1 setup for room correction and sub integration. Had it for two weeks now and very happy with it. Doing what it says on the tin.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would go with the Denon any day. People recommending the Flex are unaware of the hundreds of hours required to know what you’re doing.

staticV3

Master Contributor
It's a very old Samsung led UE40D5500.
I suggest:
PS4->HDMI->TV->S/PDIF->Flex->Speakers
and
CCA->Toslink->Flex->Speakers

you can switch inputs and control volume with the Flex remote.

Peluvius

Forum Donor
I would go with the Denon any day. People recommending the Flex are unaware of the hundreds of hours required to know what you’re doing.

I didn't think the Flex was difficult to setup at all. I can't recommend it as a solution over the Denon as I have no experience with the Denon but I would be surprised if there was a significant difference in user experience between the two?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't think the Flex was difficult to setup at all. I can't recommend it as a solution over the Denon as I have no experience with the Denon but I would be surprised if there was a significant difference in user experience between the two?
Honestly it took me personally thousands of hours before i got the the point where i said to myself ‘oh so this is what that was all about’.

And even then I realised i need more FIR taps to get to the next level where there is literally nothing else I can do.

Now all i can think about is that i want more than a circular blop around my TV and want to seriously explore multi channel. Can’t do that with the flex.

Peluvius

Forum Donor
Honestly it took me personally thousands of hours before i got the the point where i said to myself ‘oh so this is what that was all about’.

And even then I realised i need more FIR taps to get to the next level where there is literally nothing else I can do.

Now all i can think about is that i want more than a circular blop around my TV and want to seriously explore multi channel. Can’t do that with the flex.

Fair enough, I may well have accumulated knowledge that is now all but transparent to me. It does take me longer than average to assemble an Ikea flatpac according to my wife if that is any reference. I thought Dirac was good with multiseat calibration? I have not tried it for that but I am considering implementing it in my HT system.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You think the Denon gives you that out of the box?
The Denon will never do that for you. It will have the basic automatic room correction, and that’s it. The flex will give about the same and possibly better with the same effort. But also gives you the flexibility to go the extra mile if you want.
The thread starter clearly said he’s not interested in any of that.

Willem

Major Contributor
How about getting a second sub first, and then Multi Sub Optimizer with a minidsp 2x4HD?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You think the Denon gives you that out of the box?

No, but it will give me the same experience with the body of knowledge i have now. The only thing that the Flex has over mainstream commercial solutions is that you can correct the anechoic response of your speaker, someone with a Genelec speaker should not need to do that.

. But also gives you the flexibility to go the extra mile if you want.

The only flexibility the flex offers is if you want to build your own two-way speakers.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No, but it will give me the same experience with the body of knowledge i have now.
Why would you need 100’s of hours with the Flex vs 15 minutes with the Denon for the same experience?
The only thing that the Flex has over mainstream commercial solutions is that you can correct the anechoic response of your speaker, someone with a Genelec speaker should not need to do that.
Well, the main gains are in the sub integration, we’re you have much more customizability.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would you need 100’s of hours with the Flex vs 15 minutes with the Denon for the same experience?
I meant that the end result would be the same whether I had the Flex or not, at least for a speaker with flat anechoic response with smooth directivity.
Well, the main gains are in the sub integration, we’re you have much more customizability.
the 10Hz step increments for the Denon are honestly fine, Amir reviewed over a hundred small speakers I think and I don't think any of them had a driver with a resonance frequency that is neither 80Hz, 90Hz or 100Hz.

The fixed slope of the crossover can be an issue, and I feel that's the only relevant point of contention.

Top Bottom