• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 II DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 22 6.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 103 31.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 57.2%

• Total voters

Artzox

Not questioning the measurements ( this is a science driven forum after all) but logically speaking if you listen to the same music for hours on end using one DAC then switch to something else and can't stand it but try to listen for a week and then go back to the old one and feel relieved shouldn't this count for something?
Obviously we all want to buy something better or at least equally good to what we already have, but it doesn't always work out. Besides - a DAC as transparent as it is, still has to get along with the whole chain.

Veri

Master Contributor
Not questioning the measurements ( this is a science driven forum after all) but logically speaking if you listen to the same music for hours on end using one DAC then switch to something else and can't stand it but try to listen for a week and then go back to the old one and feel relieved shouldn't this count for something?
Psychologically yes it means something. Sure. But if you volume match both and test them blind (or have someone switch them without you knowing which one you're listening to), suddenly those "can't stand it" feelings can be very hard to notice. A lot of us have thought similar things just to have them basically evaporate in a controlled test.

So yes it means something but generally it is mostly us fooling ourselves one way or another... generally.

conuss

Alina! just a little mercy —
I dare not even mention love:
For sins I have been guilty of,
My angel, of your care unworthy…
But feign it! All can be achieved
By that absorbing gaze, believe me…
Oh, it takes little to deceive me —
I cannot wait to be deceived!

Alexander Pushkin
Translated by Genia Gurarie

Crosstalk

I wonder who on earth would caste poor rating for an amp like this#? what will be their expectations!

Toku

Major Contributor
Topping's E30 ll usage report

I liked the stable operation of the E30 and used it regularly, but I was worried about the evolved E30 ll, so I immediately purchased it and compared it.

The moment I heard the sound coming out of the new E30 ll, I was amazed at the huge evolution of the sound from the E30.
I have a better impression of the sound quality than the E50, DX3 Pro+, and the DX5 that I bought the other day.
Sound separation is good and sounds very clear and sharp. The difference between the ESS and AKM chips may also play a role.

I tested PCM44.1kHz~768kHz 16/24bit and DSD64~DSD512 in the spec sheet for 24 hours continuously.
Unfortunately, when playing PCM 768 kHz, the sound suddenly explodes and becomes full of noise.
This problem has been experienced with a number of DACs so far, and each time it has been solved by updating the firmware.
The fact that the E30 ll had the same symptoms again means that Topping has no regrets about the problem. Repeating the same mistake is very embarrassing.
All USB/OPT/COAX inputs work fine. The new S/PDIF interface also works smoothly.
One thing I'm worried about is that when I switch songs between DSD<>PCM in DAC mode, I get a little pop noise.
This noise does not come out at all in Pre mode. It's a small pop noise, but it bothers me.
I think that the DSD playback method when in DAC mode changes, and noise comes out every time it switches.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Topping's E30 ll usage report

I liked the stable operation of the E30 and used it regularly, but I was worried about the evolved E30 ll, so I immediately purchased it and compared it.

The moment I heard the sound coming out of the new E30 ll, I was amazed at the huge evolution of the sound from the E30.
I have a better impression of the sound quality than the E50, DX3 Pro+, and the DX5 that I bought the other day.
Sound separation is good and sounds very clear and sharp. The difference between the ESS and AKM chips may also play a role.

I tested PCM44.1kHz~768kHz 16/24bit and DSD64~DSD512 in the spec sheet for 24 hours continuously.
Unfortunately, when playing PCM 768 kHz, the sound suddenly explodes and becomes full of noise.
This problem has been experienced with a number of DACs so far, and each time it has been solved by updating the firmware.
The fact that the E30 ll had the same symptoms again means that Topping has no regrets about the problem. Repeating the same mistake is very embarrassing.
All USB/OPT/COAX inputs work fine. The new S/PDIF interface also works smoothly.
One thing I'm worried about is that when I switch songs between DSD<>PCM in DAC mode, I get a little pop noise.
This noise does not come out at all in Pre mode. It's a small pop noise, but it bothers me.
I think that the DSD playback method when in DAC mode changes, and noise comes out every time it switches.
The pop noise is common when DACs change modes... Especially on Topping DACs.
I don't think that there would be any "evolution of sound" especailly compared to the DX3+ or E50 or DX5.

Toku

Major Contributor
The pop noise is common when DACs change modes... Especially on Topping DACs.
I don't think that there would be any "evolution of sound" especailly compared to the DX3+ or E50 or DX5.
Have you bought your E30 ll yet?
If it's an experience you've actually listened to and compared, we welcome it.
I have each DAC at hand, so the pop noise (click noise? Difficult to express in English!) is the result of comparing each. The E50 and DX3Pro+ are barely noticeable, but the E30 and DX5 are a little big. The E30 ll in DAC mode is even bigger. Maybe you and I have different noise levels to worry about.

I have purchased and used three E30s. I bought E30 ll more this time, but I didn't expect much. The difference from the E30 is slight in the measured values of amirm, but when I actually compared the sound, I found that there was a clear difference. However, the evaluation of the difference is individual.

Veri

Master Contributor
I have purchased and used three E30s. I bought E30 ll more this time, but I didn't expect much. The difference from the E30 is slight in the measured values of amirm, but when I actually compared the sound, I found that there was a clear difference. However, the evaluation of the difference is individual.
:). Just wondering but, the E50 has less small pop/noise issues right? So would you recommend to move up to E50 from E30 II? Or you think E30 II is more than good enough as long as the pop noise is not too intrusive in one's set-up.

Artzox

I have each DAC at hand, so the pop noise (click noise? Difficult to express in English!) is the result of comparing each. The E50 and DX3Pro+ are barely noticeable, but the E30 and DX5 are a little big. The E30 ll in DAC mode is even bigger. Maybe you and I have different noise levels to worry about.

I have the E30 ii and pop noises are barely noticeable compared to other DACs.
Based on your comment I do wonder how we have almost the same results in terms of measurements, but different sound in the end.
What is the goal then of comparing measurements after a certain point of THD?
For example I get from this one reviewer a subjective view that Geshelli J2 is the best thing since sliced bread, but Topping E30 ii is sibilant. Both are using the DAC chip. Still waiting for Amir to measure the Geshelli but I am not expecting a dramatically different picture from E30 II.

Veri

Master Contributor
For example I get from this one reviewer a subjective view that Geshelli J2 is the best thing since sliced bread
Rave reviews like this make me immediately suspect :)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I'm surprised you haven't bought a Dave yet?? :D

Artzox

Rave reviews like this make me immediately suspect :)
Definitely biased review but doesn't mean the DAC is not great.
Honestly what bothers me is that while we do live in the age where you can order anything from almost anywhere, you need to rely on someones opinion and can't really go to a store and compare equipment, even if it is going to sound different at home.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sorry, but I have no interest in such products. I don't find it worth the price.
Ah, it's alright, I was just making a little joke about you comparing DACS for sound, as the good measuring DACS on this site should really be sounding the same (ie transparent). It sounded like you were a good candidate for a Chord Dave, it was a little joke only!

Jimster480

Major Contributor

I don't have any e30. But I have a DX7 and a d70s and a su8s and an Ex5.. I can't tell the difference with hours of critical listening. DX7 VS Ex5 sounds the same except in MQA tracks on Ex5 that are actually high res recordings.
Couldn't tell a difference between the Ex5 and SU-8S in anything including MQA (they both support it) and the same with the SU-8S and the D70S despite that "sweet velvet sound" from the AKM chips... No matter what I listened for in what track, I couldn't tell a difference that wasn't due to the filter selection.
Even filter selection literally sounds the same in 95% of tracks and 99% if you aren't doing critical listening..
I'm sorry, but I have no interest in such products. I don't find it worth the price.
This was a joke.
Definitely biased review but doesn't mean the DAC is not great.
Honestly what bothers me is that while we do live in the age where you can order anything from almost anywhere, you need to rely on someones opinion and can't really go to a store and compare equipment, even if it is going to sound different at home.
Because stores don't generally stock equipment that costs 10k+ that almost nobody buys. When they do its also set up in a way that is biased or using only really expensive stuff.

Toku

Major Contributor
This was a joke.
Yes I know that!
I've known the brand name CHORD for a long time, but the price is unbelievably high and the design looks like a childish toy, so I didn't recognize it as a pure audio device at all.
DAVE looks like a Nintendo game device to me.
Observing CHORD users in Japan, I think that there are few audiophiles with electrical knowledge.

Gius82

Sorry if the question might sound stupid. I’ve just bought the E30 II + L30 II stack and I‘m now keeping them plugged to a power strip 24/7. The E30 is connected with a 5V adapter. Is it better, in order to extend the operating life of the components, to switch the power strip off when the products are not in use or to always leave the strip on, with E30 always in stand by mode? Tnx

Veri

Master Contributor
Sorry if the question might sound stupid. I’ve just bought the E30 II + L30 II stack and I‘m now keeping them plugged to a power strip 24/7. The E30 is connected with a 5V adapter. Is it better, in order to extend the operating life of the components, to switch the power strip off when the products are not in use or to always leave the strip on, with E30 always in stand by mode? Tnx
Normally it wouldn't matter but the transformer of the L30/L30 II/L50, does in fact use up power while not in use :( so better for the planet to not have it plugged in 24/7.

Top Bottom