• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL L82/L100-inspired bookshelves

Reigningchamp

I recently fell in love with the walnut veneer and burnt orange quadrex foam grilled of the (new) JBL L82/L100. I also found out that you can purchase the grilles, or a fairly good clone of the foam, for a reasonable amount of money. So, I’m looking to make something in the same dimensions as the L82, but with a fun twist - I want it to be a 3-way and I want a bigger woofer. Does anyone have any opinions/comments on mating a 4-inch coaxial with a 10-inch woofer? They would be in roughly the same layout as the existing driver. The cabinet depth could be increased, port could be changed, etc. On a quick first pass of driver selection I found for woofers: Dayton Audio RS270P, Sbacoustics SB29NRX75, Scan-speak 26W/8534G. For coaxials: Sbacoustics SB12PFCR25, Dayton CX120, and maybe a KEF uni-Q from here. These would stand alone with no sub and would be placed in a small room of approximately 200 sq ft, so I would be aiming for extension to ~40 hz.
1662049462439.jpeg

gy-k

If I have the dimensions of the L82 right, I'd estimate the cabinet's net volume to be around 27l. You'd need more of a subwoofer type 10" with lower Vas than those you've listed. and also low Fs. Like the subwoofer version of the SB29: SB29SWNRX or the Peerless XLS-P830452. It seems to me right now based on the TS parameters that the Peerless XLS would be preferable.

The Q300 driver you've linked is a larger 6" cone Kef coaxial driver while the other two are 4". Isn't the Kef driver in the Diya thread also a 4"? There's a 5" coaxial from Sica, with a nice paper cone, I know someone who has an unused/open box pair for sale (EU). Based on the TS parameters the sensitivity of the Sica and Peerles are like within 0.6dB, maybe useful.

OP
R

Reigningchamp

If I have the dimensions of the L82 right, I'd estimate the cabinet's net volume to be around 27l. You'd need more of a subwoofer type 10" with lower Vas than those you've listed. and also low Fs. Like the subwoofer version of the SB29: SB29SWNRX or the Peerless XLS-P830452. It seems to me right now based on the TS parameters that the Peerless XLS would be preferable.

The Q300 driver you've linked is a larger 6" cone Kef coaxial driver while the other two are 4". Isn't the Kef driver in the Diya thread also a 4"? There's a 5" coaxial from Sica, with a nice paper cone, I know someone who has an unused/open box pair for sale (EU). Based on the TS parameters the sensitivity of the Sica and Peerles are like within 0.6dB, maybe useful.
Thanks for the recommendation, I’ll take a serious look at that Peerless XLS. I was actually looking to use the 5” midrange used in the R3 instead, I think it would fit the use case much better.

I am really doubting my idea here given that I’ve never seen a coax crossed to a subwoofer. That sounds wrong to me, but given the frequency responses I don’t see why it should be a problem. Is this a fool’s errand?

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Thanks for the recommendation, I’ll take a serious look at that Peerless XLS. I was actually looking to use the 5” midrange used in the R3 instead, I think it would fit the use case much better.

I am really doubting my idea here given that I’ve never seen a coax crossed to a subwoofer. That sounds wrong to me, but given the frequency responses I don’t see why it should be a problem. Is this a fool’s errand?
There is no reason you can't cross a coax to a large woofer.
It is not that much different from a non-coax. The main thing to keep excursions down from the mid so the waveguide it serves as for the tweeter doesn't change a lot. (like no 12mm each way excursions yah know?)

I DIY and you have to start somewhere but if this is where you are starting you likely need a lot of help or be cool with a final design that would not measure well. (unless you get very lucky)
Is this because you want to DIY or save $$?
The L82's can be had for under $2k and B-stock for $1500. Plan to spend way more than that effectively in time designing and making your speaker that you can not return if it doesn't sound good to you. I think the KEF coax's are hard to get and do cost some coin by the way.
Tang Band has a couple cool ones at PE. Pricy as well.

FWIIW the woofer the L82 is superb, a real nice one. A lot of 10's are not going perform as well and while it would be cool maybe to have a midrange between an 8 and a 1" the L82 has pretty good directivity and darn if it doesn't sound excellent. Maybe buy a set and use them as a reference for your design and if the final project is great sell the L82's.

Top Bottom