• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Benchmark AHB2 Amp

pogo

Major Contributor
The AHB2 has now been tested in the German trade magazine STEREO 8/2022 and has scored quite well. However, the performance data in bridge mode could not be reproduced. Unfortunately, there are no further details on this.
Here is the measured DF at 4ohms (not bridged), which I have not seen anywhere before (63Hz/1kHz/14kHz): 48/45/19

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
May be too late... I still think, painful as it may be, the review threads should be locked and a separate discussion thread created. This has devolved into a pissing contest irrelevant to the AHB2 review itself.
I'd rather keep the thread open for new users and reviews and remove the dross.

- Rich

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The AHB2 has now been tested in the German trade magazine STEREO 8/2022 and has scored quite well. However, the performance data in bridge mode could not be reproduced. Unfortunately, there are no further details on this.
Here is the measured DF at 4ohms (not bridged), which I have not seen anywhere before (63Hz/1kHz/14kHz): 48/45/19
Do you have a link to the measurements?

- Rich

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

JohnM-73

I’ve literally just purchased a used AHB2, and came here to peruse this thread, and just saw the news. Words can’t express how shocked and sorry I feel for Mr Siau and his family & friends. Thoughts and prayers sent X

Frontino

I don't get It. Yes, this thing can push 500 W bridged, but if you just need 100 W for max continuous, then the X8500HA has better power/distortion ratio.

@amirm
0.003% Is -50, not -90.

yanm

Forum Donor
I don't get It. Yes, this thing can push 500 W bridged, but if you just need 100 W for max continuous, then the X8500HA has better power/distortion ratio.

@amirm
0.003% Is -50, not -90.
But 0.003% is -90dB see e.g., http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-thd.htm ( Don‘t forget that one percent is already -40dB ). In addition, the AHB2 THD+N is about or better than 0.0002% for >10W output power…

Now, it is well possible that there will be little audible difference between the X8500HA and the AHB2. When I switched from the internal amplifiers of my MRX 720 to the AHB2 to drive my mains, there was no day-and-night difference (the only objective difference I noticed was when running the room correction program: a trough at the crossover frequency of my loudspeakers went away with the AHB2 - the AVR had likely trouble to drive my speakers as this trough has been very consistent beforehand). Not hearing difference is kind of expected as my loudspeakers have distortions in the -50 to -60dB range, which would mask much lower distortions prior in the audio chain.

On the other hand, my power consumption when listening to music has reduced by about 40W as I now fully bypass the AVR (movie watching has increased by 20W though). In addition, I know that my audio chain up to the loudspeakers is close to SOTA, which likely influence positively my enjoyment of music (psychoacoustic is a real thing).

(edit: typo corrections)

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
On the other hand, my power consumption when listening to music has reduced by about 40W as I now fully bypass the AVR (movie watching has increased by 20W though).

(edit: typo corrections)

How would you know that? Did you use something like the Kill-A-Watt plug or you measured the voltage and current separately, or with a wattmeter?
Also, is the 40 W reduction when listening to music for 2 channel stereo and is for peak values (seem very high if that's average value)? Thank you.

yanm

Forum Donor
How would you know that? Did you use something like the Kill-A-Watt plug or you measured the voltage and current separately, or with a wattmeter?
Also, is the 40 W reduction when listening to music for 2 channel stereo and is for peak values (seem very high if that's average value)? Thank you.
I have a smart plug to control my audio-video equipment cabinet. It also measures the total power consumption. There is a base load of about 20W (cable modem/router). I've to disaggregate the loads "by hand" so the per-load accuracy is likely not very good :D

When listening music with the AVR (2-channel stereo, TV off, no external amplification), the total average power consumption of the cabinet was around 90-100W if memory serves (with external amplification, it is now around 115W).

When listening through the AHB2 and a dedicated streamer (Bluesound Node) and external DAC (Topping E50), the total average power consumption is 48W (pretty constant during the last hour or so). Discounting the base load, the music gear accounts for only 28W: I guess 20-23W for the AHB2, the rest for the streamer and the DAC.

My 40W reduction stems from 90W down to about 48W… the AVR per se consumes more like 70-80W in average (in 2-channel stereo and with video stream off): its amplification channels are always biased even if not used (cannot turn them off without turning off the pre-out AFAIK) and, then, HDMI and DSP chips consume a fair bit of power.

Hopefully that clarifies things.

Last edited:

pogo

Major Contributor

The measurement data have now been posted online: Link

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Their measurements indicate that their load is not fit for the task - neither is their measurement equipment. And without even saying what they could achieve in bridged mode this looks more like an attempt to keep their usual advertizers happy...

I for one had no problem (except for getting better loads first) to reproduce @amirm 's stellar results with my own AHB2.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Their measurements indicate that their load is not fit for the task - neither is their measurement equipment. And without even saying what they could achieve in bridged mode this looks more like an attempt to keep their usual advertizers happy...

I for one had no problem (except for getting better loads first) to reproduce @amirm 's stellar results with my own AHB2.
But it got 93 points. NINETY THREE POINTS! Isn't that enough for you people???!!!!

Paradigm5h1f7

Well well... this amp uses a feed forward class D power section with a class A output section. It is essentially repackaged BASH technology. Very interesting. Looks like they are starting to re use that old tech since the patent expired!

John_Siau

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Well well... this amp uses a feed forward class D power section with a class A output section. It is essentially repackaged BASH technology. Very interesting. Looks like they are starting to re use that old tech since the patent expired!
The above is incorrect.

The AHB2 has a class-A/B output section with dual bipolar output rails (class-G). A class-A correction amplifier provides feed-forward correction. The main amplifier and correction amplifier are passively summed at the output.

Top Bottom