• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Your hot whatever at a neighbor's house for pot smoking. It sounds ominous and creepy to start with.
It's just part of your personality disorder. The stuff is fully legalized in my country. You can cease demonizing it now. You sound like Archie Bunker. I'm still waiting for your proof that I am anti-social here @ ASR.

BALKAN_RAKIA

Again, deriding my audio system as crappy. Sure and what is so special about your system that it is so superior? P.S. The equipment that I mentioned that is not rewired is nearly all surface mounted circuit boards, no wiring to rewire, not even to outputs/outlets in most cases.
I live in medieval castle surrounded by water and a falling gate. The way stones and water resonate make the cables disappear. The only other system I've heard with such transparent cables was wireless.

CtheArgie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It’s the gated part that I find fascinating. Gated but underground wires. Not easy to find! Woolsey almost burnt our house down. Didn’t, but we had no power for a while. Those darned posts!

last week, my neighbor took me to Shangri-La, he works there. They didn’t have any fancy wires.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm still waiting for your proof that I am anti-social here @ ASR.
You most definitely are one if you can't answer the basic question as to whose fault it is that the 'Snake Oil' exists.
I'll be easy on you and make it a multiple choice.
A. Seller?
B. Buyer?
:facepalm:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You most definitely are one if you can't answer the basic question as to whose fault the 'Snake Oil' exists.
I'll be easy on you and make it a multiple choice.
A. Seller?
B. Buyer?
:facepalm:
It's both the buyers' and sellers' fault in that the sellers are price gouging and creating a aura of exclusivity while the buyers do not practice buyer beware. I'm not saying buyers deserve to be taken advantage of but they do have a responsibility in this too.

caught gesture

Forum Donor
I wasn't expecting stupid remarks so quickly!
His comment was a reply to me. Perhaps you are too emotionally involved to rationally see who is replying to whom. As an observation, cognitive biases and emotional/financial investment go very much hand in hand. There is also a great deal of appeal to authority bias in your follow up post. You did not mention once any ABX testing in your search for higher fidelity with your cable swaps and tweaks. You’ll want to take that approach if you expect to get any respect for your opinion here. If you are not interested in taking that route, I’d suggest you enjoy your music and spend your valuable time on another forum. It will be better for your mental health.

Last edited:

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been testing cabling on my system for 24 years with a boutique manufacturer. I don't care about the costs (up to a point, I won't pay double figures for any cable, mostly $100s and a few $1000). I've accompanied my friend who brought his cables (mostly interconnects) to audio shows and had them inserted instead of the show cables, mostly to good effect, sometimes on extremely expensive cables. I dumped his digital cable, a well made first effort at $200 which was superior to 4 others I tried in my home under $1000. I then tried another friend's $1500 SR Atmosphere X Euphoria. I was sold on it immediately. He tried to get me to purchase the more expensive $3000 Galileo. As I previously stated it would have to be 2X better. Maybe I'll try it in the future as SR has a 30 day free trial policy. That's another thing about SR. They allow you to try everything for 30 days, fuses, HFTs, power outlets, cables and tweaks. Don't like it, don't buy it. I think I mentioned all this previously.
Why exactly are you here? This forum doesn't really cater to your evident interests.

CtheArgie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am sorry to hear that you were affected by the Woolsey fire. I lived a few miles northwest in Chatsworth at the time. It was a devastating fire.

I did not inspect Shangri-La entertainment studios so I don't know anything about them.

The Complex Studios (Streisand, Earth Wind & Fire) in West L.A. were so careful concerning their power that they used 32 huge isolation transformers (remained from the original BofA computer accounting facility) to provide clean power. Another studio in N. Hollywood (defunct, now residential) built separate positive and negative transformer banks for the incoming power, floated a soundstage above with a composite and elastomer materials over a deeper 12" concrete subfloor and wired with premium Cardas, using only tape rather than digital recording in 1990s. Some famous rock group used that studio (White something or other).

Anyway, some studios go to great lengths to ensure a sound while others use computers to create their recordings.
You don’t know what is or who owns Shangri-La studios? And you live in LA and are in the business?

Sorry but it’s hard for me to give you credibility. Wikipedia the place.

By the way, the last sentence makes no sense at all (to me).

irontortoise

Where is the scientific proof to any of your cable anecdotes?

irontortoise

He/she assumes a authoritative stance as if above our knowledge level(s). We must acknowledge this superior experience and intellect and bow to his might and plight. :facepalm:
lol. You are correct and I am thoroughly chastised! I shall return to the peanut gallery and observe in awe. I will chalk it up to some folks having more dollars than sense.

BALKAN_RAKIA

From the music genres that you enjoy, I couldn't make a judgement on sound. Your equipment is lower mid-fi. All the music preferences I do not listen to and neither do my "elderly" friends and recording engineers (over 50). Unless there is an acoustic to be recorded or pre-1995 engineering, it is nearly impossible to evaluate excellent music equipment and cabling. Maybe jazz could appeal to you.
Jazz? I've never heard of that. You must be some kind of musical genius.

I am not sure if it will work with my mid-fi. I will wait until I get several thousand dollar cables - the way jazz was intended to be played by the people who engineered it - the friends of a older dude from a gated community.

Top Bottom