• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL needle dropped the collection...most of its existence is based on simply dropping the stylus in the groove and listening/recording the results. You have a good grasp on all of this?

'Needle dropping' means digitally recording the playback of an LP.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So I take it you must have needle dropped your entire vinyl collection.? I have many,many records that will not get beat by any digital version I have been able to locate or on some I don't even know if it's possible to find a digital version without needle dropping what I have. I have entertained doing just that but in no hurry as I'm not too old yet to run my TT properly yet. Some of that old german analog classical music is over the top & unless I dropped it myself I would never trust who did it. All I see on needle drop threads is people doing there own mastering.............
Two things I discovered early on was that a needle drop recording was indistinguishable to the original (to me) and I was too lazy to continue to spend the time it took to do.
I did do the needle drop with the system playing at my normal volume level to make sure the airborne and surface born "reverb" of the TT was recorded too.

Snoopy

Major Contributor

I've downloaded a couple of needle drops by some guys with crazy expensive gear. I just don't get why people are into this.. even on the ones that where supposed very good I could hear the clicks and surface noise.

Now if someone would make old masters available for purchase as digital files before it was pressed on vinyl or SACDs with old masters as DSD files I would be all over that.

sq225917

Major Contributor
There's as many different reasons people enjoy vinyl as there are people listening to it.

For me I have some vinyl that sounds better than the cd, Amy Winehouse, Adele both sound better on vinyl, due to mastering. Those Johnny Cash American albums sound the same on vinyl and cd, I suspect the analogue masters were used for the cd versions with mono'd bass and all.

Mostly, shit brick walled stuff excluded, cd has the edge, but I suspect that's down to a lack of care in the vinyl masters. Truth be told, apart from that mono low bass, which is below the lowest bass guitar string, a well specced vinyl rig playing clean records is capable of providing sound quality good enough that the artifacts of the process don't highlight themselves. The sound of my fridge 30ft away in the kitchen is louder than the groove roar on my vinyl rig.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The sound of my fridge 30ft away in the kitchen is louder than the groove roar on my vinyl rig.
Now that I can believe. The sound of of Boeing 747 will cover it up well too. ;)

sensitive.jpeg

levimax

Major Contributor
Previously Jimi Hendrix was mentioned as an example of good sounding vinyl. I happen to have 3 versions of "Are you Experienced". One is a beat up "2nd Pressing" from 1968 (original pressings were 1967). I hesitate to use this as it is pretty rough (noisy) but when the music is playing it is not too bad, in addition the channels are reversed compared to the other 2 versions so I "fixed" it in Audacity. The second is a 2014 vinyl reissue and the 3rd is an older CD from "Yamenta Productions" which some people claim is a decent digital version.

For reference I captured the LP's on my old (1977) Technics SL1300 with a AT33PTG2 cart. Below is a "test graph" created with a test record and some cool software from a member here (see MM vs MC thread to get the softwarehttps://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/mm-vs-mi-vs-mc.18636/ ).

I matched the starting point on the 30 second samples and matched the loudness using LUFS in Adobe Audition.

Since these 3 samples are pretty easy to tell apart I am not interested in ABX scores but rather "preference" and which one you think is the Old LP, Reissue LP, and CD. I will reveal which is which in a couple days if anyone is still interested.

3-hendrix.jpg

AT33PTG2_SUT_SL1310_STR100.png

sq225917

Major Contributor
Now that I can believe. The sound of of Boeing 747 will cover it up well too. ;)

. Dont get me sarted on the
The fridge pump is pretty loud, I can hear it sat in the front room with a closed door in-between. Don't get me started on the condensing boiler catch-can pump, I can hear that two floors up when I'm in bed, it comes straight through the brickwork. ;)

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Maybe I'll repeat already said thesis:
The main reason of going to vinyl for hi-fi enthusiasts is the malicious intent of studios that make different masters for different sources: only non-rippable sources mastered good.
Everything else might have DR=3.
The reason is simple: if something can be copied/pirated, then it shall sound like promo. Even if it's 32/384.

Newman

Major Contributor
The main reason of going to vinyl for hi-fi enthusiasts is the malicious intent of studios that make different masters for different sources: only non-rippable sources mastered good.
The reason is simple: if something can be copied/pirated, then it shall sound like promo. Even if it's 32/384.
Conspiracy theory #1bn. Rejected.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Ah, no. The term goes back to the dawn of the LP age, when many reissues were naturally sourced from 78. It has moved on to apply to transfers from any kind of analog disc format---lots of ancient top forty is transferred from the original 45s, only a few digital transfers are from LP.

Wunderphones

I'm not going to say this doesn't happen, because I've never even heard of this, much less investigated it. But I will say that if studios are doing this, it actually is malice rather than the profit motive inspiring them to do so, which seems pretty weird for an entity the goal of which is to make money.

Even if there's a vinyl resurgence going on, it's a pretty thin sliver of the market. Let's say, incredibly generously, that it's 20% (again, I'm too lazy to research it, so we'll go big). It would be shockingly stupid from a business perspective to provide 80% of your customers with an inferior product in hopes of enlarging that 20%.

Now, if you openly admitted that this was what you were doing, you could market vinyl as "premium mastered" or what have you, and maybe you would have some chance of success in shifting people to non-rippable sources. Maybe you'd get them all the way up to 25%! But if you're just churning out digital files based on crappy masters while gleefully muttering to yourself, "I'll show those dastardly rippers! I'll show them all! Mwahahaha!" That's more of a Mad Scientist villain than a Heartless Corporation villain.

Top Bottom