• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tempotec Serenade idsd unsolvable issues?

Artzox

Hey all,

Got this DAC (Tempotec Serenade idsd) used to connect to a roon machine from one side and a tube pre on the other.
There is not one but two issues, which have made me look into getting another DAC.
1.) audio drop-outs on certain songs at specific parts of the song (unrelated to buffering, as songs play from the NAS on the roon machine fine with any other audio device on the system and also locally ).
I also tried the DAC on multiple other systems. Happens only with 96khz and 192khz files and only with some of them, but converting these did not help, so not sire what gives.
2.) Some and I stress that not all DSD files have their left and right channels swapped.
I play native DSD, but it is the same with DOP obviously and basically unless converting to PCM this is not resolved.
I know I can use dsp in Roon to fix this, but it is too cpu intensive for this machine and obviously not bit-perfect.
Both issues have been confirmed with foobar as well and with both ASIO and Wasapi.
Basically I see no way of fixing these issues, just when I got the system to sound like I want it to - dac, pre, tubes, integrated, speakers.... (obviously not forever but was planning to use it at the moment). Drivers did not solve any of the issues and there are no fw updates.

So if unsolvable I would like to get the system to sound as close as possible.
Thinking of topping e30 II when available or IFI zen dac 2 or SMSL sanskrit mkii (the Tempotec has akm 4490 and mine has a burr-brown opamp). I am a fan of DSD, so would like to get a DAC with native capabilities and I am an AKM fan.

Any recommendations?
Can you please recommend a fix or a new DAC, I am connecting to a Tube pre (xduuo ta-26) so I don't want to get it sounding too warm, but my speakers are revealing, so balancing things is tricky.

Thanks

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Sounds like the E30 would work for you since it's AKM based. There is a new affordable SMSL DAC as well. If you check through the front page reviews I'm sure you can find it.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Would try with ESS 32 DAC family regarding DSD and use something like PTEq-X plugin instead of the tube preamp (they still make physical copies of it but the price is ridiculous). I have Sonata iDSD which doesn't have any of mentioned problems so unfortunately can't help you there.

OP
A

Artzox

Sounds like the E30 would work for you since it's AKM based. There is a new affordable SMSL DAC as well. If you check through the front page reviews I'm sure you can find it.
I did actually get a E30 II and am not enjoying it. It is detailed, there is no argument there, but the Serenade is much more enjoyable. The Serenade is just more laid back and allows you to relax. The Topping is great if I want to hear every last cough in the concert hall, but lacks finesse.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I did actually get a E30 II and am not enjoying it. It is detailed, there is no argument there, but the Serenade is much more enjoyable. The Serenade is just more laid back and allows you to relax. The Topping is great if I want to hear every last cough in the concert hall, but lacks finesse.
Play with PTEq-X to get that something you are after.

Sokel

Master Contributor
What you describe is either underpower,broken/bad usb cable,bad drivers or long usb cables.
Can't think of anything else.

OP
A

Artzox

Play with PTEq-X to get that something you are after.
Thanks, I may give it a shot, but I do have a tube preamp and different tubes and basically my conclusion is that if I don't like the sound without tubes in the chain I probably won't like it much more with tubes.

OP
A

Artzox

What you describe is either underpower,broken/bad usb cable,bad drivers or long usb cables.
Can't think of anything else.
Definitely a driver issue, but no support whatsoever.

staticV3

Master Contributor
1.) audio drop-outs on certain songs at specific parts of the song
Sounds a lot like DC protection kicking in due to shoddily mastered recordings. Happens most often with orchestral type music.
Screenshot_2022-07-13_160003.png

If you send me the tracks, then I can investigate

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Thanks, I may give it a shot, but I do have a tube preamp and different tubes and basically my conclusion is that if I don't like the sound without tubes in the chain I probably won't like it much more with tubes.
It's more like tube stage only (no amplification or signal level change including original physical one) so more subtle and with much less added harmonics (for better or worse). You have four emulated tubes to choose.

Top Bottom