• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power Supply for HDMI Audio De-Embedder/Extractor

2.82 MHz

Hi Everyone,

For physical SACD/Blu-Ray/DVD-A listening I am using the following set-up:

[Universal Player] Sony UBP-X800M2 (HDMI Audio Out) ► [HDMI Audio De-Embedder/Extractor] Noname (I2S Out) ► [DAC] Topping D70S (I2S In - XLR Out) ► [Amp] Cyrus ► [Speaker] Audio Physic

I am quite happy with this set-up. To get started, I used and am still using the De-Embedder/Extractor with a simple mobile phone 5V 2A charger PSU. I was wondering if a beefier PSU, eg, a Topping PS50 (that's a linear power supply), might be able to enhance the performance. From my personal experience I tend to believe in the beneficial effects of stronger PSUs, but I also understand that the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and I also understand that the PS50 is certainly not the be-all and end-all PSU. I think I'm trying to understand if this could be a quick-win upgrade.

So my question is if someone has any experience from upgrading the power supply of a HDMI De-Embedder/Extractor in this kind of set-up (with that I do not mean the brands and specific models used here, but how equipment with a certain functionality is lined up and used).

Thank you very much!
Dominik

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
From my personal experience I tend to believe in the beneficial effects of stronger PSUs,
"If you build it, they will come."

Reactions: MAB

Multicore

Major Contributor
From my personal experience I tend to believe in the beneficial effects of stronger PSUs, but I also understand that the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and I also understand that the PS50 is certainly not the be-all and end-all PSU. I think I'm trying to understand if this could be a quick-win upgrade.
This belief comes from your power supply upgrades to your power amps?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Hi Everyone,

For physical SACD/Blu-Ray/DVD-A listening I am using the following set-up:

[Universal Player] Sony UBP-X800M2 (HDMI Audio Out) ► [HDMI Audio De-Embedder/Extractor] Noname (I2S Out) ► [DAC] Topping D70S (I2S In - XLR Out) ► [Amp] Cyrus ► [Speaker] Audio Physic

I am quite happy with this set-up. To get started, I used and am still using the De-Embedder/Extractor with a simple mobile phone 5V 2A charger PSU. I was wondering if a beefier PSU, eg, a Topping PS50 (that's a linear power supply), might be able to enhance the performance. From my personal experience I tend to believe in the beneficial effects of stronger PSUs, but I also understand that the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and I also understand that the PS50 is certainly not the be-all and end-all PSU. I think I'm trying to understand if this could be a quick-win upgrade.

So my question is if someone has any experience from upgrading the power supply of a HDMI De-Embedder/Extractor in this kind of set-up (with that I do not mean the brands and specific models used here, but how equipment with a certain functionality is lined up and used).

Thank you very much!
Dominik

If I would have the [HDMI Audio De-Embedder/Extractor] Noname (I2S Out) I certainly would not buy a dedicated power supply for it when I already had a phone charger at hand.
It is unlikely this device will draw over 1.5A anyway.

Needless to say we don't share the 'power supply religion'. I would not expect and actual enhanced performance in a technical sense but when you believe it could enhance the sound it certainly will.

Postercowboy

I recently upgraded the power supply of my Aten VC-880 audio-deembedder to an Ifi iPowerX and I hear a small, but clearly noticeable improvement on SACD/BR-A/DVD-A playback.

So as long as you can return it, it might be worth to give the Toppings P50 a try.

There is a pretty reliable way to find out if there is an actual audible difference: Install the new power supply. Let it run in your system for a full week. Switch back to the original gadget. If you can‘t hear a difference, send the P50 back.

My chain: Cambridge Audio CXU (modified) - Aten VC880 - Hoerwege PCM1794 MKIII DAC - Enleum Amp23R - Ayon Blackheron speakers.

Top Bottom