• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can a DAC improve soundstage, depth, separation?

tallbeardedone

Let me preface by saying I'm a physics teacher and lifelong audiophile in my years of listening I have found speaker placement, toe-in, and rake are the single most important factors in nailing a 3-dimensional sound stage. When listening to a great recording I love the feeling of being INSIDE the room where it was recorded (or inside the headphones of the person who mixed it). Having said that, I am a constant tinkerer and find myself wondering just HOW can I improve the 3-dimensionality of my soundstage in my listening room.

So my question: is it possible for a DAC upgrade (from the internal DAC in my Hegel h390 to, say, a Topping d90se) to improve the DEPTH and WIDTH of my soundstage and the SEPARATION of instruments in three-dimensional sound space? I read all these subjective reviews (Goldensound and New Record Day's review of the Holo Audio May R2R DAC have nearly taken my money a hundred times) and they make me feel like I'm missing something if I don't upgrade my DAC. Is it all subjective crap? I can't get my hands on any DACs to do a blind test to I have to go with you guys here at Audio Science Review. HELP!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe if you wrap them in absorber and use them for room treatment?

Seriously...no. Probably you won't be able to tell any difference.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here we go again. NO!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Reactions: VQR

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You are a physics teacher. So you should be able to interpret the data available here. And after all it should be possible for you to order a "well respected" DAC to do a blind and level matched test and return it, when you are not able to hear a difference. Which is very likely to happen...

Peace

OP
T

tallbeardedone

You are a physics teacher. So you should be able to interpret the data available here. And after all it should be possible for you to order a "well respected" DAC to do a blind and level matched test and return it, when you are not able to hear a difference. Which is very likely to happen...

Peace
yeah not in New Zealand unfortunately. It's the shipping that's the snag.

Peluvius

Forum Donor
Let me preface by saying I'm a physics teacher and lifelong audiophile in my years of listening I have found speaker placement, toe-in, and rake are the single most important factors in nailing a 3-dimensional sound stage. When listening to a great recording I love the feeling of being INSIDE the room where it was recorded (or inside the headphones of the person who mixed it). Having said that, I am a constant tinkerer and find myself wondering just HOW can I improve the 3-dimensionality of my soundstage in my listening room.

So my question: is it possible for a DAC upgrade (from the internal DAC in my Hegel h390 to, say, a Topping d90se) to improve the DEPTH and WIDTH of my soundstage and the SEPARATION of instruments in three-dimensional sound space? I read all these subjective reviews (Goldensound and New Record Day's review of the Holo Audio May R2R DAC have nearly taken my money a hundred times) and they make me feel like I'm missing something if I don't upgrade my DAC. Is it all subjective crap? I can't get my hands on any DACs to do a blind test to I have to go with you guys here at Audio Science Review. HELP!

Only if matched with crystal and silver ingrained electron passageways. The welcoming of the electron provides additional motivation and therefore encourages more compliant and accurate movement.....

But yea, no.

Kevbaz

I have tried all the below, and other than noise with IEMs or available power I can’t tell any difference.

RME adi 2
Apple dongle
Hidizs s8/9
Chord mojo

From my limited experience a solid headphone and EQ is important.
Kev

OP
T

tallbeardedone

Only if matched with crystal and silver ingrained electron passageways. The welcoming of the electron provides additional motivation and therefore encourages more compliant and accurate movement.....

But yea, no.
I have tried all the below, and other than noise with IEMs or available power I can’t tell any difference.

RME adi 2
Apple dongle
Hidizs s8/9
Chord mojo

From my limited experience a solid headphone and EQ is important.
Kev
thanks dude

KeithPhantom

Forum Donor
SEPARATION
Crosstalk, you need about 20 dB worth of that to call it 'different channels'. Good measuring DACs will give you from 90 to 110 dB in that measurement.

DEPTH and WIDTH
Frequency response, room, and interaction with your ears. Good DACs are pretty much flat from DC to Fs/2 (depending on the filter).

three-dimensional sound space?
Can be only truly done with a multichannel setup with overhead speakers.

OP
T

tallbeardedone

Crosstalk, you need about 20 dB worth of that to call it 'different channels'. Good measuring DACs will give you from 90 to 110 dB in that measurement.

Frequency response, room, and interaction with your ears. Good DACs are pretty much flat from DC to Fs/2 (depending on the filter).

Can be only truly done with a multichannel setup with overhead speakers.
helpful and informative reply. thanks.

D

Deleted member 21219

I read all these subjective reviews (Goldensound and New Record Day's review of the Holo Audio May R2R DAC have nearly taken my money a hundred times) and they make me feel like I'm missing something if I don't upgrade my DAC.

There's your answer. Don't give any credence to subjective reviews. All they are is b.s., snake oil and talking points. Yes, they're carefully produced to "make you feel like you're missing something". That's their whole point.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

Bleib

Major Contributor
I've heard clear difference between a Denon 2900 CD/DVD/SACD player and a Benchmark DAC1. But in general the difference will mostly be elsewhere, but it's still possible to purchase bad sources.

Top Bottom