• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 II DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 22 6.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 103 31.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 57.2%

• Total voters

axyoung9022

If good power is applied to E30 ll, 3 levels of Noise @44.1kHz are: 1) power on: -128.6dBFS A; 2) Wake from Standby: -124.5dBFS A; 3)Empty status after releasing from any operations: -123.2dBFS A. I don't know why noise level varies depending on status.
Samsung mobile power adaptor (5V, 2A) could be a pretty good power supply to E30 ll.

NewbieAudiophileExpert

vuittion

I just sent my Topping E30 II back for a refund. I found it far too dark and moody with a veil over the music. I went back to my Topping D10s and what a difference to my ears. Music came alive the veil lifted and my smile came back.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just sent my Topping E30 II back for a refund. I found it far too dark and moody with a veil over the music. I went back to my Topping D10s and what a difference to my ears. Music came alive the veil lifted and my smile came back.
That difference you noted is probably all in your mind. The DACS don't sound different, those two are both gonna be audibly transparent.

DSJR

Major Contributor
The Topping sounds sibilant as does the SMSL D6 apparently according to the review above (he's another one with speaker or headphone system issues I reckon, but no means of measuring to see exactly *where* the sibilance distortion's coming from) - and it also sounds dark and moody with a veil over the music according to someone else.

How our minds deceive us when these things are dictated to totally by the music being played and our mood which can vary minute by minute...

Overseas

Major Contributor
Can't contradict measurements, but thank God for our deceiving minds, within reasonable budgets we just change Dacs and music improves.
I found the neutrality of ESS nicer than the transparency of AKM.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Just making a bit of fun in the audiophile jungle, trying to keep an eye on the science and 2x ears to the speakers.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can hear a distinct difference between the two DACS, no doubt about it.
We're just trying to save you the trouble of wasting your effort & time comparing DACS that are proven to measure well/transparently. If you don't need any of the different features between the E30 ii and the D10s, then afterall you may be better off saving money & going with the cheaper one anyway, which is the D10s that you chose anyway. If you want and like the different features of the E30 ii then you've made the wrong decision to go back to the D10s considering you're mistakenly trying to base it on how differently they sound, which they don't.

EDIT: on the E30ii DAC you could just make sure you're using either Filter#2 or #6 as they're both flat out to 20kHz, whereas some of the others roll off a bit earlier, but again I think that would be hard to hear the difference considering how high up the frequency range we're talking (Filter#2 is the default), even if you were only 15yrs old with perfect 20-20kHz hearing:
index.php

Last edited:

Ashimaru

Maybe this is what you hear.

Attachments

• Topping D10s DAC USB THD+N vs Frequency Audio Measurements.png
    Topping D10s DAC USB THD+N vs Frequency Audio Measurements.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 353
  • Topping E30II DAC USB THD+N vs Frequency Measurement stereo.png
    Topping E30II DAC USB THD+N vs Frequency Measurement stereo.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 339

NewbieAudiophileExpert

Guaranteed thats many of the differences heard are placebo(s) - the mind and your emotions are connected, hence why you love your wife then want a divorce the next minute.

Although the D10(S) is a very solid DAC in my eyes, and it measures really well, the E30 ii should be just as good.

NewbieAudiophileExpert

Your imho, NOT MORE, it will not be enough )).
It's most likely a placebo or there is a serious fault with the unit.

In my experience, whenever there is a great disparity between one person's experience and the rest of 'the tribe', there's either a bunch of bad luck involved, mind playing tricks, or just a difficult personality.

I am also a proud owner if a D10S and it's perfect for my needs (USB-DAC), but i'd be pretty confident that Both the older and newer E30s sound just as good and include the additional features (Toslink, coaxial, and software).

I think that we'd have to have a panel of 4 or 5 members listen to his particular DAC and then the D10S to come to a consensus, or just take his word for it..

conuss

It's most likely a placebo or there is a serious fault with the unit.

In my experience, whenever there is a great disparity between one person's experience and the rest of 'the tribe', there's either a bunch of bad luck involved, mind playing tricks, or just a difficult personality.

I am also a proud owner if a D10S and it's perfect for my needs (USB-DAC), but i'd be pretty confident that Both the older and newer E30s sound just as good and include the additional features (Toslink, coaxial, and software).

I think that we'd have to have a panel of 4 or 5 members listen to his particular DAC and then the D10S to come to a consensus, or just take his word for it..
For the sake of this, no one will group, but to believe is a religious approach, look for like-minded people.

Top Bottom