• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 Pro+ Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 56 15.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 290 79.7%

• Total voters

sibi1865

Within these forums, I remember people commenting on the shallow angle of Topping's remote operation. Has that improved with the new design?

lc6

Beautiful performance

I wish topping/smsl/gustard etc would start adding more features rather than trying to marginally improve on their measured performances though

I want HDMI eArc, auto room correction, preset volumes per outputs etc

@JohnYang1997 it's time to creep up on MiniDSP and AVR territories now. With your engineering skills, you guys can make a big name for yourselves in these markets

Agree. If Topping added 7 or more channels of Class D amplification with SMPS, plus Dirac Live (with a future firmware upgrade to spatial correction), that would be a killer integrated amp or AVR.

SKBubba

@JohnYang1997 congratulations on another home run! My (early adopter) DX7 Pro is now feeling a little sad. Complimentary upgrade, maybe?

Now, for your next trick, if you could make an amp with 200 WPC into 8 ohms Topping will own the audio industry.

Plus an (optional?) streamer with raat, chromecast, and dlna. No app, no service integration, just basic black box stream playback from the app/service of your choice.

Peternz

Agree. If Topping added 7 or more channels of Class D amplification with SMPS, plus Dirac Live (with a future firmware upgrade to spatial correction), that would be a killer integrated amp or AVR.

Topping is in it's correct niche as far as I am concerned. The only thing I think is truly missing from their lineup is a no nonsense 2 channel power amplifier. If they can beat Benchmark at that game they are going to sell a lot of amps.

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Me too! That would be perfect for me. I'd imagine HMDI licensing would be deal breaker too, but I can dream!
Just use Toslink for watching TV stuff

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thank you, for the review @amirm,

My inner curious-cat would be very satisifed if you can show that I/O square-wave in a real-time scope view?
You can see the explanation/spectrum of the j-test signal here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...derstanding-digital-audio-measurements.10523/

index.php

The spikes on the left at 250 Hz are what are showing up there. They are toggling the rightmost bit of a 24 bit audio sample at that rate.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
No word about the "balanced" 4.4mm being fake balanced?
The output is the same on all connectors as I mentioned in the review.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
That price is absurd. You are in RME ADI FS territory for similar performance and no hardware EQ.
??? ADI-2 DAC is nearly double the price at $1,299. It is great hardware and I use it myself but is not the same price.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm I might have missed it on the other pages, but I believe this one also has a tube-sound setting? Can you measure what that does? This review states they love it, and I wonder how much distortion it is adding :D.
Topping itself has published measurements of those:

apos-audio-topping-headphone-dac-amp-topping-dx7-pro-dac-amp-37601394852076_1200x851.jpg

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Performance as expected. But man I really do not like the new design language, even my old boxy DX7s looks better to me, and the DX7 Pro was a lot cleaner. I hope they change it for whatever next DAC/Amp will be out by the time I need to replace my DX7s. Though I suppose EX5 would be good enough for my needs and that still looks good.
I Agree, I completely hate the new design language. I bought an EX5 for this reason. Probably will last me forever.

imagidominc

Forum Donor
Topping really keeps topping themselves, dear god.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Better is SMSL SP400 with AAA 888 and resistor ladder volume control - no channel imbalance issues

Good to 12 ohms

Isn't the price very similar to the A90D though?

gvl

Major Contributor
??? ADI-2 DAC is nearly double the price at $1,299. It is great hardware and I use it myself but is not the same price.

There a healthy supply of them used in the $700-800 range. Anyone choosing this over a used RME DAC should rethink.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Thanks for the reply. Is that a concern here? Also, this doesn't have balanced out for DAC or HP, right? Does that matter?
it does not matter and you have plenty of power for 99.9% of headphones on the market today and in the future.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
My aeon noire are getting about 2W and it’s not enough at all. I have to crank up my Topping A30 Pro to 3PM on some tracks.
The Stealth and Hifiman susvara need even more power than that.
You measured the need for 2W?

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There a healthy supply of them used in the $700-800 range. Anyone choosing this over a used RME DAC should rethink.
It seems unfair to compare new pricing to used. Presumably in six months you'll be able to find a used Topping DX7 Pro+ for $450. The price seems totally fair for the performance and features on offer.

gvl

Major Contributor
It seems unfair to compare new pricing to used. Presumably in six months you'll be able to find a used Topping DX7 Pro+ for $450. The price seems totally fair for the performance and features on offer.

A used RME for $700 is still a better value than this for $450.

Top Bottom