• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping G5 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 20 5.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 75 20.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 259 71.0%

• Total voters

audiofun

I learn to this portable amp for replace my DAP+DAC (AP80X-Pro+#9038SG3) since the last month... and now you have already test them Amir, thank !

For me it's the DAP killer than i need... but you miss one measure, and this is the most important for me : Sinad with LDAC BT input...(24/96 990kbits setting)

According to this APX555 measurement LDAC is capable to reach the full potential of the G5, like USB input :

LDAC-vs-AAC.png
LDAC sound quality is very far away from USB's. It's only good when you perform a single sine wave test.
see multitone test here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...receiver-bt-codecs.23740/page-12#post-1039526

Jimster480

Major Contributor

pdl

I'd love to see at least a FR plot.

The whole shebang would be interesting as well, but I have no idea what amount of effort that entails.

lherrm

Could someone enlighten me on how one could use (P)EQ with this amp if streaming from an iphone ?
Topping doesn't offer an application like Qudelix, does it ?

Last edited:

AlexScan

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No they don't.
For systemwide PEQ on iOS you'd have to jailbreak your iPhone and install eqe.
I don't know if it works, but it seems that Neutron Media player is available on apple store.
Neutron has one of the best PEQ's one can desire + much more, only its networking requires a little more work.
Personally, I never indulge in that forbidden fruit! ;)

KeiIto

(Sorry, if someone has already explained this but I failed to find it out.)

Thank you for the very nice and detailed review of the Topping portable DAC/amp. I am now interested in upgrading my old Fiio Q5s with AM3D.

I have a question about the "balanced" 4.4mm output without extra amps. A fully balanced system would use a pair of stereo-amps to provide plus and minus outputs for both channels. (Up to +2V and -2V). A system like G5 seems to use only a pair of stereo-amps, the same for the unbalanced 3.5mm output.

1. In such systems, does the 4.4mm output actually provide +2V and 0V output? (Thus, not actually balanced.) Or, does it somehow split the signal and invert one of them to provide +2V and -2V output?

2. Without the extra amps, do the 3.5mm output and 4.4mm output provide exactly the same quality of SINAD and power? (Thus, there is no advantage to use 4.4mm cables.) Or, does the 4.4mm output still have some advantages? (Thus, it is better to use 4.4mm cables.) I guess that at least channel separation would be a bit better with 4.4mm, because 3.5mm output has just one ground signal for both channels.

I would appreciate your suggestions!

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
2. Without the extra amps, do the 3.5mm output and 4.4mm output provide exactly the same quality of SINAD and power? (Thus, there is no advantage to use 4.4mm cables.) Or, does the 4.4mm output still have some advantages? (Thus, it is better to use 4.4mm cables.) I guess that at least channel separation would be a bit better with 4.4mm, because 3.5mm output has just one ground signal for both channels.
Although there's no auditory benefit to using the 4.4mm output (I believe the three ground channels are all bridged together), they are more robust than 2.5mm or 3.5mm jacks.

KeiIto

Thank you both of you for quick and clear answers! Then I am running into a difficult situation to decide...

Topping G5 = much better SINAD and power scores, but only semi-balanced output.
Fiio BTR7 = more conservative SINAD and power scores, but fully balanced output.

Which may give better sound? (I do not care about the size/weight.) I mainly use Sennheiser HD650 and IE800.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thank you both of you for quick and clear answers! Then I am running into a difficult situation to decide...

Topping G5 = much better SINAD and power scores, but only semi-balanced output.
Fiio BTR7 = more conservative SINAD and power scores, but fully balanced output.

Which may give better sound? (I do not care about the size/weight.) I mainly use Sennheiser HD650 and IE800.
Ignore SINAD and Bal vs not Bal, focus on output power and EQ capabilities.
The BTR7 will sound better than the G5, because it has more than enough power for your headphones and IEMs, plus the capability to correct the frequency response.
I'd choose the Qudelix 5K over the BTR7, because it has even better EQ and a much more complete software package, plus still more than enough power.

Top Bottom