• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8351B Review (Studio Monitor)

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why are they so low?
I'd like to keep my L/C/R speakers below 28" in height so I always have visibility of the TVs and projector screen that are behind them. This is my TV review studio not my dedicated home theater space, so to maximize flexibility and mobility, I have the speakers on these things that allow me to push them around the room easily

Screen Shot 2022-07-28 at 3.17.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-28 at 3.18.13 PM.png

Trell

Major Contributor
I'd like to keep my L/C/R speakers below 28" in height so I always have visibility of the TVs and projector screen that are behind them. This is my TV review studio not my dedicated home theater space, so to maximize flexibility and mobility, I have the speakers on these things that allow me to push them around the room easily

View attachment 220986
View attachment 220987

Do you re-run GLM after each move of the monitors? :D

Pe8er

Obviously, the table is presenting lots of reflections, how do you plan to treat it? Giant mousepads? I have 3x 8351 about six inches off the ground in L/C/R and even with carpeting, reflections show up (in a significant way) on the GRADE report. placing thick wool carpeting didn't help much and ultimately, looks like I'd have to raise them further off the ground.
Same here, GRADE report showed the table… to be honest I have no idea what to do yet. Need to research as soon as I pick my jaw from the floor. I'm kind of excited there is even more performance to extract from these things.

Thomas Lund

Technical Expert
Industry Insider
Same here, GRADE report showed the table… to be honest I have no idea what to do yet. Need to research as soon as I pick my jaw from the floor. I'm kind of excited there is even more performance to extract from these things.
Maybe you should think of GRADE as 2nd opinion, your ears being the first and most important.

With 8351, you have an excellent grip on direct sound. If imaging isn't perceivably distorted by the desk, there might be little point in remodelling the room. Check if HF reflections are detrimental by placing towels on the desk. If not, and you're also happy with frequency response and conveyance of envelopment, I would probably just leave it, and let your brain resolve the rest :)

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would probably just leave it, and let your brain resolve the rest
Indeed our biological neural network does more processing than any AD/DA/DSP ever will.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The bass slot noise has me worried: If I'm using this as a center channel without bass management and it chuffs, I'd be pretty disappointed with a $4000 speaker.

lappy

The bass slot noise has me worried: If I'm using this as a center channel without bass management and it chuffs, I'd be pretty disappointed with a $4000 speaker.
Agree, I have ordered a pair, and I hope this is just a result of Amirs habit of cranking up to extreme levels. Never seen it mentioned in any other review.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Idk why people overthink this stuff. The 8351B is specced at 103dB @ 1m maximum with pink noise(so, low bass at highest level) in half-space. You don't want to be playing your speaker at maximum. Therefore, at 0dB volume, it's inappropriate as a home theatre center without bass management and will compress and/or sound bad. At -5dB it may be OK, as long as your listening distance is <2m, though anything loud below 40hz will likely still cause problems. At -10dB it should be fine in most setups, assuming listening distance <4m.

There isn't really anything in this size class that is going to do a lot(say, 6dB) better than that, unless it has a much higher F6 point or something. This is a small speaker in the context of home theatre and speakers this size are one of the main reasons bass management exists.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Idk why people overthink this stuff. The 8351B is specced at 103dB @ 1m maximum with pink noise(so, low bass at highest level) in half-space. You don't want to be playing your speaker at maximum. Therefore, at 0dB volume, it's inappropriate as a home theatre center without bass management and will compress and/or sound bad. At -5dB it may be OK, as long as your listening distance is <2m, though anything loud below 40hz will likely still cause problems. At -10dB it should be fine in most setups, assuming listening distance <4m.

There isn't really anything in this size class that is going to do a lot(say, 6dB) better than that, unless it has a much higher F6 point or something. This is a small speaker in the context of home theatre and speakers this size are one of the main reasons bass management exists.

The issues with the 8351 and bass is that they limited the size of the woofers, the slot limits their excursion, and the amps could be higher output... They could fit some massive drivers on the sides but that would require massive re-tooling and design changes (and perform like an even better Devialet Phantom).

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
But in a room in a home (22' x 16' by 10') I get response to 27 Hz. I don't listen loud (<80 db at 3 meters), so it is more than enough. Would I turn down a sub? No. But I sold my 8361a speakers to get these. They are just better balanced speakers for the way I use them. At this level of quality, it is more about "fit for purpose" than "best".

Vacceo

Major Contributor

View attachment 220986
View attachment 220987
Considering your work, I can perfectly understand why you´d choose a professional monitor to review content and how it was mixed: you need a clean and precise sound just as the person who did the mixing.

However, since you also have a set of Perlistens, how would you compare both setups? I mean, with the room right size, would it make sense to run genelecs for pleasure listening/watching?

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor

CyclingGandhi

How off-axis are you if using the computer?
Great question. I'm quite off axis. I've attached a poor diagram trying to show the dimensions. My eyes are 25 inches from the center of the monitors. Dimensions of the desk are 72"x32. Any suggestions on better placement? Should I toe them in farther? I was also concerned about bringing the woofers too close to the desk edges.

192a71d82dea78eca29018b6baeaef3b.png

Zaireeka

More toe-in will result in the speakers axis crossing in front of your head and will give a better and more stable image, also less side walls reflections. Just give it a try to see if you benefit from doing this...

GLM will clearly show if it is a good or bad move concerning modes and SBIR.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Great question. I'm quite off axis. I've attached a poor diagram trying to show the dimensions. My eyes are 25 inches from the center of the monitors. Dimensions of the desk are 72"x32. Any suggestions on better placement? Should I toe them in farther? I was also concerned about bringing the woofers too close to the desk edges.

View attachment 228169
7947CEAE-0FAD-42F7-8C8E-C877AE9CB27D.png

The sound will be worse If you have longer distance between the speaker than from the speaker to your ears . A triangle are the studio standard.

But : The optimal ratio for optimal illusion for the stereo system is about 1:1.18, meaning your ears distance should be about 1,18 longer to the speakers, than the distance between the two speakers.

From your picture I can see that you can put your speaker much closer to each other before they reach the desk.

66BCCF79-8A11-4074-8BD3-21E31AE60859.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom