• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I think I found the perfect USB C headphone dongle...

newaudioguy77

The Moondrop Dawn - https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...cm-768khz-dsd256-type-c-headphone-amplifier-1

These specifications sound amazing! ...better than my Activo CT10 DAC. The CT10 DAP also has 2v output. I know the specs are A-Weighted, but I still have hope and ordered one.

Frequency response range: 5hz 87Khz(-3dB)
Port: USB Type-C
Background noise: 1.1uV(AES17 20Khz)
THD+N: 0.0002% (AES17 20kHz, without load)
SNR: 127dB(AES17 20Khz,A-weight)
Firmware upgrade: Support (Connect PC)
Gain: High/Low (Software switching)
Line out: 2Vrms(High),1Vrms(Low)

With specifications this good being commonplace in audio market, especially from Chinese companies, can we confirm that 2 headphone dongles or 2 DACs that measure well above the level we listen at sound 100% identical? Therefore, the only difference would be more ports and features/functionality. Of course, a headphone dongle has very limited functionality. I'm talking about the output from the DAC - it should be flawless anyway, right?

I plan to use the Moondrop dawn with two 32 ohm headphones. These headphones reach comfortable listening levels easily....so it shouldn't be a problem.
I think it's safe to say that all we need is a $100 DAC or any headphone dongle that measures very well for perfect sound quality. Measurements clearly tell us everything we need to know.
Sorry for the long post. I am just excited and curious. I plan to use the Moondrop dawn with my Android smartphone. After it arrives, I plan to sell my Activo CT10 DAP.

rarewolf

The Moondrop Dawn - https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...cm-768khz-dsd256-type-c-headphone-amplifier-1

These specifications sound amazing! ...better than my Activo CT10 DAC. The CT10 DAP also has 2v output. I know the specs are A-Weighted, but I still have hope and ordered one.

Frequency response range: 5hz 87Khz(-3dB)
Port: USB Type-C
Background noise: 1.1uV(AES17 20Khz)
THD+N: 0.0002% (AES17 20kHz, without load)
SNR: 127dB(AES17 20Khz,A-weight)
Firmware upgrade: Support (Connect PC)
Gain: High/Low (Software switching)
Line out: 2Vrms(High),1Vrms(Low)

With specifications this good being commonplace in audio market, especially from Chinese companies, can we confirm that 2 headphone dongles or 2 DACs that measure well above the level we listen at sound 100% identical? Therefore, the only difference would be more ports and features/functionality. Of course, a headphone dongle has very limited functionality. I'm talking about the output from the DAC - it should be flawless anyway, right?

I plan to use the Moondrop dawn with two 32 ohm headphones. These headphones reach comfortable listening levels easily....so it shouldn't be a problem.
I think it's safe to say that all we need is a $100 DAC or any headphone dongle that measures very well for perfect sound quality. Measurements clearly tell us everything we need to know.
Sorry for the long post. I am just excited and curious. I plan to use the Moondrop dawn with my Android smartphone. After it arrives, I plan to sell my Activo CT10 DAP.

What bothered me a bit regarding the Dawn's specs was no mention of deliverable milliwattage. You cannot deliver power if you cannot deliver the current. That said, I’m sure the Dawn will deliver enough power to drive Moondrop’s efficient DD IEMs, but I do wonder about 32ohm headcans(?)

OP
N

newaudioguy77

What bothered me a bit regarding the Dawn's specs was no mention of deliverable milliwattage. You cannot deliver power if you cannot deliver the current. That said, I’m sure the Dawn will deliver enough power to drive Moondrop’s efficient DD IEMs, but I do wonder about 32ohm headcans(?)
230mW@32Ω, 54mW@300Ω.

is this good?

OP
N

newaudioguy77

I really want to get rid of my DAP - the Activo CT10. Sorry to say, but the battery life is terrible. I don't mind a headphone dongle that is kind of power hungry...

OP
N

newaudioguy77

Yes… I would consider that to be enough for most IEMs and efficient headcans.
So if I have the right amount of power to enjoy my music at normal volumes on the Moondrop Dawn, (not too loud) it would be pointless for me to buy another DAC + headphone amplifier?

Aside from extra features and higher output power, am I missing anything?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Dawn 4.4mm would be my choice if I was buying a dongle today.

rarewolf

I've only got two headphones that both use 3.5mm ....

What is the perfect digital headphone system if there is such a thing?

I have no idea of what you want to afford, but I don’t want to leave you with the thought that adequate is the same as perfect. All I can suggest is you continue to try what ever you choose to afford. IMHO, you get what you pay for…

OP
N

newaudioguy77

I have no idea of what you want to afford, but I don’t want to leave you with the thought that adequate is the same as perfect. All I can suggest is you continue to try what ever you choose to afford. IMHO, you get what you pay for…
Thanks for the insight.
I'm a total noob in audio, so I will admit that I don't know that much.

If we get what we pay for, shouldn't a Chord DAVE perform better than a $150 from China? I understand what you are saying...as with any industry. Paying more money usually gets you better quality and perhaps better performance. Rolls Royce is not equal to a Hyndai Genesis no matter what... (not that I own either lol my car is 10 years old)

But in terms of audio, it seems to be a one track road. Do we have enough output power to drive headphones properly? Yes. Do we have a high enough SNR, inaudible noise, and do we get all the dynamic range we need to resolve music? Yes. Subjective reviews are so confusing. How can anything sound warm, soft, lush, sharp, etc. All of these adjectives...if the data is there in the analog waveform, it should all be the same.

I suspect that a lot of high end companies use some kind of DSP or intentionally "color" the sound of their audio gear so it sounds like it rolls off from neutral.

One of my audiophile friends has a costly system. He said that you need to spend thounds of dollars to hear every detail...

DanielT

Major Contributor
230mW@32Ω, 54mW@300Ω.

is this good?
Do you think it will do, goes reasonably well with this IEM?

Amir:
"The low impedance means many amps and sources can drive it but it is very low. Sensitive is on the low side as well for an IEM:"
most sensitive IEM review 2022.png

Bleib

Major Contributor
Everything with that short cable will not last very long.. the quality is too poor

Top Bottom