• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 II DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 22 6.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 103 31.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 57.2%

• Total voters

Roland68

Major Contributor
Because the data line should have a defined characteristic impedance and data lines that are too short can lead to unmanageable reflections.

Artzox

So I just got this and really dissatisfied.
Sound aside, (which is tiring compared to my previous DAC), I get crackles when listening to Roon using ASIO.
Using absolutely the same settings as my previous DAC.
I tried adjusting the full range of buffer sizes and nothing really helps.
The only solution was to boost my CPU to max.
We are talking about an old machine here, but I was listening to the same files with my previous DAC on low performance setting, which means minimum CPU performance set to 5% and maximum to 100%. What possible reason could there be for me to have to use 100% all the time.
Obviously this generates more heat and more noise ( and I am talking about fan noise and not electrical noise).
To be honest if it wasn't the 30E return I would send it packing and look for something else. Measurements or no measurements a new DAC shouldn't work worse than a similarly priced DAC from 3 years ago (I know this sounds general).

Last edited:

Roland68

Major Contributor
Some evidence for this.:oops:
Please don't be mad at me, but now this is a little ridiculous. It has nothing to do with audio but is simply (for a very long time ;o) basic knowledge of cables, characteristic impedance and reflection. I don't have to mention that it's about data/signal transmission?
Just google it, you'll find enough material to keep you going for months or years.

Roland68

Major Contributor
So I just got this and really dissatisfied.
Sound aside, (which is tiring compared to my previous DAC), I get crackles when listening to Roon using ASIO.
Using absolutely the same settings as my previous DAC.
I tried adjusting the full range of buffer sizes and nothing really helps.
The only solution was to boost my CPU to max.
We are talking about an old machine here, but I was listening to the same files with my previous DAC on low performance setting, which means minimum CPU performance set to 5% and maximum to 100%. What possible reason could there be for me to have to use 100% all the time.
Obviously this generates more heat and more noise ( and I am talking about fan noise and not electrical noise).
To be honest if it wasn't the 30E return I would send it packing and look for something else. Measurements or no measurements a new DAC shouldn't work worse than a similarly priced DAC from 3 years ago (I know this sounds general).
It could be a driver problem. Have you installed the latest XMOS driver from Topping? What operating system and version are you using?

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Please don't be mad at me, but now this is a little ridiculous. It has nothing to do with audio but is simply (for a very long time ;o) basic knowledge of cables, characteristic impedance and reflection. I don't have to mention that it's about data/signal transmission?
A proper USB cable would have the appropriate impedance and other properties. Extension cables, on the other hand, are not standard-compliant exactly because the properties of the combination can no longer be guaranteed.

Roland68

Major Contributor
A proper USB cable would have the appropriate impedance and other properties. Extension cables, on the other hand, are not standard-compliant exactly because the properties of the combination can no longer be guaranteed.
Now that's all off topic, but this statement is both right and wrong.
A standard-compliant USB cable and a corresponding USB extension would not change the properties of the cable in relation to the data line/data transmission, nor the wave impedance. Of course, the permissible total length of USB 2.0 (5 or 3 meters) must not be exceeded.
The restriction for USB extension cables refers to the power supply and the possible voltage drop due to insufficient cable strength and contact resistance of the plug connection.
This was also the result of a test of USB cables and extensions to a USB analyzer that I used to do professionally more than 15 years ago. However, at that time more than 90 percent of the cables did not pass the test on the analyzer, which says a lot about the quality and compliance with the specifications of the cables. That was also not dependent on the price, because the best USB cable was the business pack cable from one of the largest PC and printer manufacturers.
But of course that's all just smartass on my part.

When using a USB DAC, I have had good experiences with cable lengths between 0.5 and 2 meters. however, limitations have often already been identified with cables longer than 2 meters. Of course, that doesn't have to be the case.

dcolak

2 thoughts on this.
Have you tried a different USB cable? Various defects/cable breaks can occur, which lead to diffuse behavior. Also, the USB cable should not be too short, better at least 50cm.
It is possible that "Tests/Settings" or unplugging/plugging in the USB cable will cause the interface on the Mac to crash or put it in an undefined state. This can be reset after a period of time or fixed by restarting. The problem can also be triggered by point 1.
Thank you for suggestion. It's not the cable. I have it fixed by forcing TIDAL to be in "EXCLUSIVE" mode with the DAC. :)

tyreman

Just watch how instructions worded/done compared version I for all settings
say if you want to put into full DAC when setting its "DAC" for version 1
on Version II its is "m-d" on display

Sounds fine so far

NewbieAudiophileExpert

Hmmm, as a proud owner of the Topping D10S DAC, I always liked the idea of the E30, and now the E30ii is out!? Wonder if the new(er) revision will be a better choice than the original E30.

Does anybody know if this new E30 ii can be powered via the USB in? My Topping D10S can, so I see no reason for them to not include that as a feature to go..

Last edited:

NewbieAudiophileExpert

Its only powered from a 5v phone charger or something similar.
Why wouldn't they just allow it to be powered by a USB input like the d10s.. how much more complicated is the internal circuitry?

Toku

Major Contributor
Hmmm, as a proud owner of the Topping D10S DAC, I always liked the idea of the E30, and now the E30ii is out!? Wonder if the new(er) revision will be a better choice than the original E30.

Does anybody know if this new E30 ii can be powered via the USB in? My Topping D10S can, so I see no reason for them to not include that as a feature to go..
E30 ll is generally powered by a 5V/1A mobile power adapter/charger adapter.
It can also be used by connecting to a USB port on a PC or a mobile battery. (However, there is a lot of noise)
The E30ll has added overvoltage protection, so it will be protected from accidental voltages exceeding 5V.
This matter has also been explained by HP.
However, the USB port of a laptop PC may not be usable due to the small amount of current supplied.
The power requirement for the D10s is 5V/0.5A while the E30 ll is 5V1A.
The USB port power supply capacity of the PC is

USB-A type
5V/0.5A at USB-2.0 ports
5V/0.9A at USB-3.0/3.1 port

USB-C type
5V/3A at USB-3.0/3.1/3.2 ports
It is

I tried connecting to the USB-3.1 port of USB-A, but it works normally.

Attachments

• 6236586.jpg
    6236586.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Top Bottom