• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Discrete Review (Headphone Amp & Preamp)

Rate this Headphone Amp/Pre-amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 16 3.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 14 3.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 70 17.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 306 75.4%

• Total voters

Veri

Master Contributor
Ordered one myself. I didn't want to.. Got the D30Pro+A30Pro stack already. And lately not been using the headphones as much because the active studio monitors just do fine at lower volumes also.

However I couldn't resist the hype.. I'll give them an A/B and see if it's worth keeping it over the A30Pro.
Let us know if you can tell them apart / see any improvement(s) ;)

Cidious

Let us know if you can tell them apart / see any improvement(s) ;)
Yeah it's hard, because A30Pro is single ended only. So I could only A/B single ended with an RCA switch and swapping headphone plugs. And then it's not sure yet if volume is 100% matched etc etc etc. So it will be a bit of a personal evaluation.

The good thing is that I actually asked Topping in front if I could test it and if I didn't want to keep it, send it back freely. So I'm inclined to send it back if I feel no personal improvement or if it's not blowing me away by a good chunk of more enjoyment etc.

Not gonna lie.. it's the curiosity that got me here. I'm SUPER sceptical.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
What i like to see in this amp is better feets... I mean Singxer is cheaper, but have much better feets so...
I would pay premium for that, i mean some people really dig the aestetics.
Wouldnt be too bad if Topping can offer same version of stuff with more expensive parts like Holo Audio are doing with their dacs.

That's the most simple thing to replace.
Just search for "hifi feet" on Amazon or ebay

kiyu

Guys I already got a Topping L50 and it sounds good I can't complain...
but well you know how is this hobby I always want more I was thinking of a discrete amp,
Topping A90D and Singxer SA-1(discrete and Class A/AB) are on the list.. question for you would be,
Apart from the difference in volume and features in general,
Regarding Sound performance, do you think I will hear a difference? or will be the same, with L50, Sinxger or Topping

Veri

Master Contributor
Guys I already got a Topping L50 and it sounds good I can't complain...
but well you know how is this hobby I always want more I was thinking of a discrete amp,
Topping A90D and Singxer SA-1(discrete and Class A/AB) are on the list..
The A90D is particularly good at driving lower impedance difficult loads. Like HiFiman Susvara to name one. In all likelihood, you don't have a difficult enough headphone to justify buying an amp that is just a bit better than L50 .. ;)

registlse

I have the A90 and I bought the A90D to compare with Focal Clear and dac/streamer Naim 272. First of all, too bad for those who do not believe in running-in but out of box the two amps were dull and lifeless... After about ten hours the sound is ok, it’s obvious when I compared the 1st time the A90d with the A90, I thought if it was that sound I sent it back right away!
The A90D has the same tone as the A90 but is more transparent, the sounds stand out more, the balance is perfect, it’s more detailed but not cold, not boring! For me it is the perfect balance between detail, transparency and warmth matter... The bass is firmer and descends lower and the high is finer and more varied (cymbals...) it’s subtle but very real. I like it a lot! The perfect couple with Focal Clear...

reter

I have the A90 and I bought the A90D to compare with Focal Clear and dac/streamer Naim 272. First of all, too bad for those who do not believe in running-in but out of box the two amps were dull and lifeless... After about ten hours the sound is ok, it’s obvious when I compared the 1st time the A90d with the A90, I thought if it was that sound I sent it back right away!
The A90D has the same tone as the A90 but is more transparent, the sounds stand out more, the balance is perfect, it’s more detailed but not cold, not boring! For me it is the perfect balance between detail, transparency and warmth matter... The bass is firmer and descends lower and the high is finer and more varied (cymbals...) it’s subtle but very real. I like it a lot! The perfect couple with Focal Clear...
yeah, that was my same tought, the first time i was "oh... it's not so clear in the highs" but after some days of listening i know that's only a perception, because now i can hear everything else and not only straight detailed highs

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
do you think it's secure? i mean, warming this much all day in a year... i don't have the knowledge of what's better but i would instinctively turn it off when i'm not using it especially when it's that warm

What I do is have the A90D plugged into a transient protected outlet strip with my other stuff, I turn on the switch on the outlet strip and when I am done listening for the night or expect not to listen for several hours later then turn the strip off. All electronics degrades with heat and this thing sounds so good right at turn on I see no reason to "wear" it out by keeping everything warming in the chassis when not expecting to return to listening for more than an hour or so. By the way, this unit is superb, absolutely superb with my 32 or 600 ohm phones.

ToneDeafMonk

Anyone know if you can change the Volume knob and if so what's the size please?

Also I was thinking of trying to use the Xduoo MT-604 as a tube preamp like Zeos did thoughts on that I am new to headphone amps so please excuse the noob question.

Just order mine T-3 weeks for delivery.
Cheers J

Kindly Greeting everyone from ASR!
Does anyone do A/B A90 and A90D with D90SE(LE)?
In particular with DT1990.
Is A90D REALLY have better clarity on mid's and high's than regular A90 when connected to same DAC - D90SE(LE)?
Thanks in advance for YOUR response's!

Last edited:

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Kindly Greeting everyone from ASR!
Does anyone do A/B A90 and A90D with D90SE(LE)?
In particular with DT1990.
Is A90D REALLY have better clarity on mid's and high's than regular A90 when connected to same DAC - D90SE(LE)?
Thanks in advance for YOUR response's!
The dac is the easiest component to achieve "perfection" beyond our hearing. So don't worry about pairing specifically with the D90. A much cheaper SMSL DO100 will do the same trick for much less money. Unless you want some specific feature of the D90

Snoopy

Major Contributor
The dac is the easiest component to achieve "perfection" beyond our hearing. So don't worry about pairing specifically with the D90. A much cheaper SMSL DO100 will do the same trick for much less money. Unless you want some specific feature of the D90

I'm more confused about the A90D + D90SE with DT1990. Feels like money spend on the wrong end.

i would go with a topping DX5 and spend more money on the headphones

I'm more confused about the A90D + D90SE with DT1990. Feels like money spend on the wrong end.

i would go with a topping DX5 and spend more money on the headphones
YOU SIR ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!Can't say any better!
It's just because i am dummy.Sorry for stupid questions.

Very interesting opinion.Thank YOU!

Top Bottom