• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Whats better than naim muso 2 i want to upgrade it? i want reference sound...

• Thread starter Deleted member 51459
  • Start date

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Used Kef R3's are probably the best value in speakers today. They, and the Revel Performa series which probably aren't readily available in Bulgaria, are the lost stop before diminishing returns smash down far beyond reason. However you keep mentioning the muso 2 yet are asking about speakers, so it's all a bit confusing.
Muso 2 is an all in one soundbar type affair which I assume the OP wants to replace with a separates system inc speakers/ monitors

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

1ET400 best, NC252MP good enough. You probably won't hear a difference unless you turn it up loud and/or sit far away
These are build your own which i cant do, and class d which i dont want , i will preffer hegel or something pure class a like
accuphase

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So I stopped posting here... but I'm going to make an exception because you really need some guidance.
Firstly, don't think of this as "upgrading the Muso". You have a good product (if expensive) for what it does. You're instead embarking on buying something which still plays music, but in a different way.
Secondly, put away those preferences. You don't need class A or AB or D specifically, for example. Nor do you particularly need three way bookshelves. You need good performing ones.
Thirdly, forget "reference sound", at least for now. You can think of your new system in one of two ways - something that plays music well for you, or a platform that plays music well and allows you to pursue what people here call "the hobby", chasing improvements and different experiences.

So, onto the things that are actually important to consider
1) The science around preference and the type of system. You can chase up a lot of that here, but essentially most people in blind tests have shown strong statistical preferences towards certain things.
The elephant in the room is surround. People have been shown to prefer immersive surround to stereo. My advice is to at least consider that. If you are building a dedicated room, this should be on your list. If you are putting your system in a busy family living room, surround is a lot harder. I have stereo in those circumstances. Don't forget that a good surround system can still happily play stereo,

2) Also on this site you will find discussion around loudspeakers and the loudspeaker/room interface. Search it out. But the important thing to consider, again, is use case. Some speakers are designed to be listened to close up, others from further away. It doesn't matter how good a speaker is, if you force it into a situation where the design is inappropriate
Some loudspeakers work better in small rooms than others. You may want a different setup for you listening in a sweet spot between the speakers, or your family and friends dotted around the room. You'll get better results if the room is treated - this can be dedicated audio treatment, or just a matter of good curtains over windows and a thick rug on the floor to control the most damaging reflections. Getting this aspect right is probably the most important part of the process. What the science around preference tells us about speakers is that speakers that measure flat anechoically, and have low distortion, are preferred. But this is probably the weakest point from that viewpoint, because the room is so important.
You'll limit your choices a lot if you insist on "wireless" speakers - and all will be active, so still require a mains lead. Better to consider placement, ways to hide the cables, and reducing the count. An all in one streamer/DAC/amp; may be a better way to go, and accept the cables to the speakers. That reduces the count (using wifi) to three wires, one power lead and two speaker cables. Enough?

3) Electronics. Here, most people prefer low distortion devices in blind tests. However, our hearing is such that we only have to reject the worst measuring items to achieve that.
Theres more to it than that though... I would recommend starting with a cheap laptop, a streaming service, any DAC outside of the poor category recommended here, and an integrated amp (of any class or type) that will drive your choice of speaker cleanly. That gives you a platform that you can take you in multiple directions if you want to pursue further upgrades - software, EQ, component upgrades, etc., and will be perfectly good enough in terms of sound. Active speakers of the right type will do just as well.

4) You. The first and stupidest question to ask is, will you be listening reasonably often, and intently, to the music? If you aren't, there's not much point chasing the ultimate. Secondly, you need to consider your visual and tactile preferences. You will listen not only with your ears, but with your brain and your eyes. If you can't stand the look of the speakers in front of you you will listen less, and that's not a good thing. If you hate the activity of choosing and playing your music, you will listen less. My partner doesn't like choosing music on a screen, so my system has a disc player. You need to know what maintenance you are prepared to put in. Some components like manual bias valve amps require regular maintenance. If you want a system that you can leave in place for years and just play, choose with that in mind. In that case, an all in one product or active speakers may suit.

People here will mostly push you towards equipment that measures well, and most people prefer such. You have to start your search with such systems. If you really can't stand them and prefer a different sound, don't be afraid to buy such. The test is whether you can listen to music regularly and intently to improve your life, not whether you have a "reference system" or "high SINAD". It's just that we understand that for the vast majority of people, the two are related.

5) Avoid the "audiophile" for now. You can add an LP player later if you want, but it isn't needed. You only need basic cables. For bookshelf/standmount speakers, you will need the right sort of support, but don't assume it has to be the most expensive. You don't need fancy cables, and if somebody tries you to sell something that seems odd to you, then don't buy it, no matter how many recommendations it gets on different forums etc.

So? To really recommend something to you, we need to know a fair bit. Start by posting your room size and circumstances, likely usage, budget and where you are located. Then instead of an argument about possibly irrelevant KEF and Genelec models, people can point you to a practical solution that will have you listening to a lot of music from day one, which is the real point.

Finally, most of those KEF models you posted are in fact three way, with side facing woofers and coaxial mid/tweeters to take into account.

I'm going back to not posting again now before I get sucked in again... hope this gives you a bit of perspective.
Sorry to derail this thread for a short message @Galliardist....

Your post should be handed out in a generalized form to anyone who is about to enter a hifistore and asking for advice. Very true and I hope you consider posting again from time to time....

Marc v E

Major Contributor
What I read so far makes me think you want something like the kef ls60. However I would recommend you don't spend too much until you've gained some real world experience and know if the end result is really worth the money.

I would start with something that makes you familiar with eq: like the minidsp flex. Get an amp like the ncore mp252, kef r3 and add a sub ( or two) when you want to upgrade.
There is basically no way around buying a sub if you want clean lows that work in your room.

The alternative is - and what I would choose- a Genelec monitor with GLM ( automated eq) like the 83xx series. Also well within budget. It's for good reason you get so many people recommend Genelec.

Last edited:
OP
D

Deleted member 51459

What I read so far makes me think you want something like the kef ls60. However I would recommend you don't spend too much until you've gained some real world experience and know if the end result is really worth the money.

I would start with something that makes you familiar with eq: like the minidsp flex. Get an amp like the ncore mp252, kef r3 and add a sub ( or two) when you want to upgrade.
There is basically no way around buying a sub if you want clean lows that work in your room.

The alternative is - and what I would choose- a Genelec monitor with GLM ( automated eq) like the 83xx series. Also well within budget. It's for gpod reason you get so many people recommend Gelelec.
Hey Kef wireless ls 60 is a great choise, its too bad that it huge speakers which i dont have place to put.... so i will be more than happy with kef reference 1 used or kef r3 used or something simular, i already have subs from my micro lab and jvc home cinema no need for 3rd sub.... Gelelec doesnt have dealership in my country and price is 4.5 more compared to kef r3 and same price as kef reference 1.
no point of that

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These are build your own which i cant do, and class d which i dont want , i will preffer hegel or something pure class a like
accuphase

They come pre-built from a variety of sellers. In the USA, Buckeye and VTV are probably the 2 most popular. In EU, there's a few more but I'm not familiar

I'd probably recommend this before you spend any $

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
pure class a
That you do not want and probably don’t have a budget for.

You probably want AB but D is a better option.

Andysu

Major Contributor

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i am not looking for brand new class a or class ab i am talking about used one :)
what do you think of
Parasound HINT 6
Well that’s not class A or something that I would buy but it may be awesome. I’d just not want something like that.
Have you checked the review index? Look for recommendations there.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

Well that’s not class A or something that I would buy but it may be awesome. I’d just not want something like that.
Have you checked the review index? Look for recommendations there.
do u mean this link?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry i am not that much it, i see only number of tested devices , how i can sort them by rating or something ? based on his chart i found the speaker r3 but i cant see how to search for amps ?
There are categories select that first then you can filter by type, brand, recommend etc.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

i dont see categories like amp?
so i can check out their rating

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
i dont see categories like amp?
so i can check out their rating
Here's one way
1661732612083.png

and click "Search"
or...

use "Advanced Search" (the magnifying glass with the "A" in it.

1661732722428.png

I will also, gingerly, echo comments from others you've gotten here and at... another forum where you asked the same question. Don't get mislead by marketing buzzwords and catch phrases. Spend some time listening to and determining what you really want a system to do, and then look for components you can afford that can give you that. Measurements and reviews notwithstanding, one simply cannot beat 'ears-on' experience.
Make some hifi friends (or "leverage" the ones you have already), join a local or regional club, go to an audio show. ... and listen.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

Here's one way
View attachment 227324

and click "Search"
or...

use "Advanced Search" (the magnifying glass with the "A" in it.

View attachment 227326

I will also, gingerly, echo comments from others you've gotten here and at... another forum where you asked the same question. Don't get mislead by marketing buzzwords and catch phrases. Spend some time listening to and determining what you really want a system to do, and then look for components you can afford that can give you that. Measurements and reviews notwithstanding, one simply cannot beat 'ears-on' experience.
Make some hifi friends (or "leverage" the ones you have already), join a local or regional club, go to an audio show. ... and listen.
So is the rating score called sinad? In my country with montly salary of 300$ people doesnt buy high end speakers or amps... i exeption so no place to try them.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe you should just ignore the "my country" stuff and concentrate on what you can obtain at a price/functionality you want.

Top Bottom