• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Mani 2 Review (Phono Stage)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 92 52.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 55 31.6%

• Total voters

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, I would still like to see the updated Mani 2 review because I like the Audio Science Review detailed approach. BUT, I went ahead and ordered the Mani 2 and expect it in a couple of days. It looks like they have stock on it so no delays. Looking forward to hearing it!
@amirm - any updates on the Mani 2?

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, I would still like to see the updated Mani 2 review because I like the Audio Science Review detailed approach. BUT, I went ahead and ordered the Mani 2 and expect it in a couple of days. It looks like they have stock on it so no delays. Looking forward to hearing it!
Thoughts?

soccermommy

How would this compare to the iFi Zen Phono ?

Edit: Found my answer here in case anyone else is wondering. The Zen measures better but I'm sure they both sound good.

Last edited:

Namesbuck

Can someone help me set the gain on the Mani 2? I was thinking input at low and output at high but I'm not sure.

My equipment: Fluance RT85 TT with Ortifon 2m blue cart and a longer cable run than preferred, at like around 8ft to the Mani from the TT. I understand that longer cable runs can result in some HF roll off. I might actually prefer a warmer sound but I'm not sure how gain will effect any of this. I just want to get to 80db without noise and as flat a frequency response as possible.

BobPM

Still planning to retest anytime soon?

Toroid

I feel like we are all in the back of the car yelling "Are we there yet, are we there yet" while Amir up front in the drivers seat gritting his teeth muttering under his breath, "We'll get there when we get there". Lol. I know Amir is a busy guy, so I will do my best to wait patiently.

BobPM

If only Schiit had been critical of the review (see PS Audio), then a retest would have been immediate. The cranky wheel gets the oil.

knownothing

Nice review, thanks. I bought a Mani 2 for a family member to bypass the built in phono pre in their Audiolab 6000A integrated which is just so so (the only thing so so about it). I just plugged it in at home to test it in my system.

First off, the Mani 2 power supply is dead silent. Connected to the pre with power on, or with the pre power off. Nothing. No hum coming out of the power supply. With the turntable idle but the preamp on, I start to hear a little noise through the speakers at 3/4 volume. Unremarkable, in a good way. Playing music at normal listing levels there is no noticeable noise at all. I have the Mani 2 power supply plugged into a power strip with a Shunyata Venom Defender power conditioner which has zapped any noise associated with some notoriously buzzy cartridges, fwiw. If I plug the Mani 2 PS directly into a wall socket in the same circuit with a dimmer light switch, there is a VERY SMALL amount of hum audible, but only if I put my ear right on it. Again, unremarkable, and why my rig is on a dedicated circuit.

How does the Mani 2 sound? Right out of the box stone cold, it sounds good. Paired with a AudioTechnica AT 150Sa MM cartridge, the Mani 2 sounds fast, detailed, decent sound stage between the speakers, and capable of very deep and accurate bass, startlingly good bass (with no filters in). It doesn’t quite have the intoxicating midrange of the Project Tube Box DS with Genalex Gold Lion tubes and an aftermarket linear power supply that I am used to, but in other ways it is better. The Mani 2 is just providing the facts, and a lot of good facts at that. For $149, what’s not to like? Well played Schiit Audio.

Last edited:

The Sentinel

I received my Mani2 yesterday and compared it vs the Mani original that I’ve had for 4 years and vs the Project Tube Box S2 that I ordered from Amazon days ago.
I use a Ortofon Quintet Black S.
The Mani2 easily outperformed its predecessor in terms of noise floor and was a bit better than the Project tube box S2.
I could not hear any other differences between those three but the noise floor thing is more than enough to keep the Mani2, sell the original and return the Project to Amazon as it is 3 times more costly.
Well done Schiit!!

BobPM

Amir, in your post #65 on the Mani 2 phone pre thread you indicate an intent to retest that device using the replacement Schiit transformer. Any idea when that will happen?

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For those that care to know, Mike Fremer also gave the Mani 2 a glowing review on Analog Planet. Completely subjective, of course.

Dial

He's honest, he always said hi-fi is just entertainment. He doesn't like ASR for that reason .

bracko

Here in Europe Mani 2 costs €235 (ca $235) plus shipping. I am not sure about it being especially good value. But then, what alternatives are there at that price point?

Last edited:

bracko

Nice review, thanks. I bought a Mani 2 for a family member to bypass the built in phono pre in their Audiolab 6000A integrated which is just so so (the only thing so so about it). I just plugged it in at home to test it in my system.
It would be nice to know how it compared to the Audiolab's built-in phono.

bracko

Top Bottom