• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AOSHIDA SMSL C200 Review (DAC & Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 9 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 58 17.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 260 78.8%

• Total voters

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Apple and Google and Samsung do this every year.

This will continue till the end of time.

So we can't call this a Chinese brand thing.

I find that funny because Samsung's latest flagship phones has axed the very useful microSD card slot completely that used to set them apart from everyone else, so it's a decrement in my book.

They have gotten so good for $200, that drops been offering the SMSL SU-8s for that price most of the summer. Other than looks, and a couple extra features why would you spend anymore? I did buy the Topping D90 over a year ago… then the Topping D-30 pro which sounds exactly the same, same features except missing MQA. Now I bought the SMSL SU8S that has MQA for $199.

It looks like the race is to see who can include balanced outputs, volume control and a 115 SINAD or greater for less than $200.

Talk about beating a dead horse at this stage of the game, bring on the features lol. Just sayin.

Now to think about it: Has any DAC offered user-configurable auto input and output switching yet?

Tangband

Major Contributor
This seems to be a really good dac - But why bluetooth and not wifi and ROON ?

The fact is… none of these companies like Topping, SMSL has come up with a real competition to , for example a Blusound node2 or a Linn DS streamer .

To get there, they have to :

1. Make an interface thats bug-free and userfriendly, and that is supported and upgraded for years when needed.
2. Compatible with ROON, airplay 2 and upnp ( wifi )
3. A really good digital volumecontrol implemented.
4. A price thats MUCH lower than a Linn DS or bluesound node , cause those companies have both proved to be reliable.

Maybe the thruth is that paying licences for ROON and AirPlay , and upgrade support is costly, so they end up with a price of more than 500 bucks ?

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
Another good performer with not real new features,it all comes down to "new" and price then.
(next round will be a flood of AKM based new ones,so lets wait and see...)

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
With so many of these DACs offering similar features and similar (albeit excellent) performance, one has to wonder if they are all based on some ESS Reference Design or Evaluation Board.

like an nVidia or AMD graphics card; you can review as many boards as you want from different branded AIB partners.

But they are all very similar in performance (+/- 5%) and features (+/- 1)
Exactly what I've been thinking. They start with the ESS/AKM/etc. reference and then see if they can squeeze a bit more out of it with optimal components, layout, etc., unlike the sub-par performers who think they can do better and go their own way because they believe it "sounds better", is "more musical", etc.

PeteL

Major Contributor
I am still looking for a desktop DAC /headphone amp /pre, that can mute the line outs when you plug in a headphone, or with a button. Is it still unfeasible in 2022 with tens of iterations of basically the same product?

D

Deleted member 50971

The fact is… none of these companies like Topping, SMSL has come up with a real competition to , for example a Blusound node2 or a Linn DS streamer .

1. Make an interface thats bug-free and userfriendly, and that is supported and upgraded for years when needed.
4. A price thats MUCH lower than a Linn DS or bluesound node , cause those companies have both proved to be reliable.
Exactly, where are the futures? They’re going backwards, and grabbing every bit of money on the way, only then will they go forward. I refuse to have my wallet vacuumed any further. Maybe just make a DAC with a Eureka/hoover/dyson/shark attachment ROFL.

Trell

Major Contributor
Now to think about it: Has any DAC offered user-configurable auto input and output switching yet?

You mean a specific input configured routed to a specific output?

For desktop DAC/headphone amp like the one reviewed here I’m not aware of any. Several do have auto input switching, though.

If you include something like a RME audio interface, then yes, but that is another class of device.

D

Deleted member 50971

I want something with an HP amp, even if I rarely use it. It doesn't add much to the size or cost, so why not?
I agree with that, and that’s the latest addition to the $200-$300 price point.

Have I mentioned that my preamp has a headphone output? Lol.

I get it and I’m just having fun at this point. They’re making it so there must be a market for it o.0

rarewolf

Maybe the thruth is that paying licences for ROON and AirPlay , and upgrade support is costly, so they end up with a price of more than 500 bucks ?

Not everyone needs a streamer, that is, more than an affordable DAC/amplifier. This unit provides either an optical or USB input for SMSL’s SD-9 HiFi Network Music Player, or Topping’s M50.

D

Deleted member 50971

Thanks for the discussion guys, I have to run and figure out how to keep my daughter from getting her fingers pinched in her new bed… errr beds because just like her dad… one is never enough rofl

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor

Yes, given that it's easy to make your own streamer based on a RPi, why is this so rare as a built-in feature ? (I don't want Roon though, not at those prices.) I used to think I would get a Linn DSM eventually, but Amir's reviews have put me off, and the prices are too high anyway, even used.

Trell

Major Contributor
I am still looking for a desktop DAC /headphone amp /pre, that can mute the line outs when you plug in a headphone, or with a button. Is it still unfeasible in 2022 with tens of iterations of basically the same product?

RME ADI-2 DAC can do so, and I’m pretty sure there are others as well.

Perhaps the reviewed DAC can as well, but I don’t recall amirm writing about that in the review.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Exactly, where are the futures? They’re going backwards, and grabbing every bit of money on the way, only then will they go forward. I refuse to have my wallet vacuumed any further. Maybe just make a DAC with a Eureka/hoover/dyson/shark attachment ROFL.
Maybe we are being spoiled with such outstanding performance from these dacs for little money:) , but they could really wipe the highend market if they could implement wifi and a really good interface to. Its not really serious hifi with bluetooth implementation and no NAS playing ability/ TIDAL connect with high resolution material.

This is needed If those chinese companies want to play with the big boys.

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
I find that funny because Samsung's latest flagship phones has axed the very useful microSD card slot completely that used to set them apart from everyone else, so it's a decrement in my book.
I'm not sure what's funny?

iPhone's have lost headphone ports and others mostly followed.

Losing one feature but gaining 1 or 2 or more happens all the time.

D

Deleted member 50971

Maybe we are being spoiled with such outstanding performance from these dacs for little money:) , but they could really wipe the highend market if they could implement wifi and a really good interface to. Its not really serious hifi with bluetooth implementation and no NAS playing ability of high resolution material.

This is needed If those chinese companies want to play with the big boys.
This is my point exactly, bring that knowledge and give me 110 SINAD to my home theater. I understand that’s a huge rabbit hole with licensing, but just like the DAC market, then the amplifier market which they are revolutionizing right now, along with the standalone preamp market… please bring that to the AVR/AVP market. Surely @JohnYang1997 didn’t advance this far to stop now, because I’m dreaming of a AVP with 110 SINAD, a stable platform and Audyssey or Dirac for less than $5000.

Nango

Major Contributor
How useful is it trying to "squeeze a bit more", when transparency has been achieved for years? Isn it a complete waste of time and ressources?
I guess two if not three years so far with no significant step fwd in science apart from .25dB better SINAD than before and zero tech innovation.... thanks ASR? Just asking.

Top Bottom