• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

Fenix84

So, after owning the unit for awhile now i thought id try and get the bluetooth working for my guests but when I try and enter the settings to enable bluetooth I get a screen that reads "dFU".

These are the steps:
Back power switch on
Unit powered off.
Hold volume knob down for a few seconds.
The screen reads "dFU".
Can't go anywhere from here.

Is my unit AFU?

If i power off the unit from the back I can go back to using the unit via USB so it still works but I just can't get to the settings screen.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To enter setup... Power off the EX5 using rear switch. Push and hold the volume control in. Switch on the EX5 using the rear switch.

1657008079734.png

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Looks pretty nice, I'm in between this and the DX5 to replace my now 5 year old DX7 original.... Debating on what to buy since I use the THX AAA 789 amp and haven't really used the DX7 headphone out in years now...

Last edited:

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Just picked up one of these on ebay for $225 shipped. Will see how it goes. It does have an amber screen though....

So I might still be in the market and just decide to use this on something else.

Blew

Just picked up one of these on ebay for $225 shipped. Will see how it goes. It does have an amber screen though....

So I might still be in the market and just decide to use this on something else.
I'd be interested to know if you hear anything like what I heard in this unit. See my post and conversation in the thread here, along with a video review that also discusses it.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The fact that I am checking out this product at all is because I am interested in MQA CD and that I can connect this to a CD player or Blu-ray player
https://www.stereophile.com/content/mqa-encoded-cds-yes

I would remove the MQA badge off the front of my EX5 if I thought I could do so without leaving a mark. MQA has no scientific basis and is purely a marketing ploy designed to lock people into a licensing scheme to generate revenue.

vmuntean

First post here, I just registered. To use the EX5 with speakers, can I connect it directly to an amp, will the volume control work as a preamp, or it works just for headphones, and I need a separate preamp?
Thanks.

respice finem

Major Contributor
First post here, I just registered. To use the EX5 with speakers, can I connect it directly to an amp, will the volume control work as a preamp, or it works just for headphones, and I need a separate preamp?
Thanks.
It's a DAC / preamp with digital inputs only, so unless you have analog sources, such as a turntable, it will suffice as a preamp (by providing volume control).
On the output side, you could connect it to an amp, but it isn't really the typical use case (unless you mean a power amp and not an integrated). The simplest way would be to connect them to active speakers (which have their own power amps).

vmuntean

It's a DAC / preamp with digital inputs only, so unless you have analog sources, such as a turntable, it will suffice as a preamp (by providing volume control).
On the output side, you could connect it to an amp, but it isn't really the typical use case (unless you mean a power amp and not an integrated). The simplest way would be to connect them to active speakers (which have their own power amps).
Yes, my question was, should I connect a power amp, or an integrated amp, to use it with passive speakers.

Last edited:

vmuntean

Thank you.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, and you can leave the headphones plugged in all the time, prolonging the "lifetime" of the socket.

At the risk of sounding like a fanboi - Yes, the EX5 really does tick a lot of boxes from both a performance and a useability perspective :)

I just wish it had a 4.4mm 'balanced' socket rather than XLR, but that's only because my HD660s came with a nice 4.4mm cable.

respice finem

Major Contributor
My only wish so far would be a remote matching the quality of the unit. The current one feels cheap, while it would not cost a million $ to make it better. Maybe in "ver. 2.0".

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My only wish so far would be a remote matching the quality of the unit. The current one feels cheap, while it would not cost a million $ to make it better. Maybe in "ver. 2.0".

Topping already sell one...

It's got a flat bottom, so sits on my desk nicely next to my keyboard :)

Picture from Head-fi showing the RC-21 next to the stock remote...

11222628.jpg

respice finem

Major Contributor
Metal and microswitches, or still plastic and "rubberdome"? OK even the RME remote is plastic, but the switches are nice.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Metal and microswitches, or still plastic and "rubberdome"? OK even the RME remote is plastic, but the switches are nice.

Aluminium case with carbon contact switches (AKA 'ruberdome')...

7d2e7b649045829b099883dd3ceb9c29_2048x2048.jpg

The remote is screwed together and can be fully disassembled, so it will be easy to clean the PCB contacts should they get 'sweaty' after a while.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Nice. This way, should the buttons start to fail, it's possible to clean them without risking breaking the remote.

Top Bottom