• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio Hypex Ncore Power Amplifiers

Status
Not open for further replies.

westyjeff

If I wanted 2 P701 mono blocks how much would shipping be to the USA?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Looks very good. Just a few questions.

Are the multiple unused countersunk holes in the base panel for the various modules (one base fits all?)

Is that recessed rounded edge rectangle for the Model No/Compliance/serial number stickers down the track?

Are the feet just stick-on rubber feet? If so, they are not really good enough in the long term IMO and certainly not at that price point. They slide sideways, get squashed and fall off leaving a sticky patch. They can also mark polished surfaces in the long term. For your production amplifiers, perhaps consider something more resilient and furniture friendly?

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Have you implemented your own input buffers? If so, do they have a "tone"? (sorry I could not resist using that word!)
Or is it Hypex standard buffers?

The 122, 252 and 502 have integrated input buffers so can't be changed. I am not intending implementing different buffers on the 701 even though this is possible.

Op amp rolling is of liitle effect and not audible unless there is a significant change in technical performance, by design or accident (instability etc) . Unfortunately most who indulge in this are not performing technical tests or controlled listening tests, hence their conclusions about change in sound cannot be trusted.

Amir performed a test with op amp rolling. I will find a link.

Last edited:
OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Looks very good. Just a few questions.

Are the multiple unused countersunk holes in the base panel for the various modules (one base fits all?)

Is that recessed rounded edge rectangle for the Model No/Compliance/serial number stickers down the track?

Are the feet just stick-on rubber feet? If so, they are not really good enough in the long term IMO and certainly not at that price point. They slide sideways, get squashed and fall off leaving a sticky patch. They can also mark polished surfaces in the long term. For your production amplifiers, perhaps consider something more resilient and furniture friendly?
Holes - correct.

Recess - correct again

Feet - noted, agreed will change. :)

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
@March Audio Can you post dimensions? (The "Learn More" link on your website for the amps is not working. Chrome browser on Win10).
Hi

Sorry the website hasn't been updated yet. Units only arrived yesterday so I need to take photos and write the Web page.

Dimensions. 330mm x 180mm x 70mm

Height does not include feet. Depth incles speaker binding posts

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
The power should be around half of the 4 ohm rated.
it's actually higher than that. Looking at the other way round the power rating doesn't double when you half the impedance.

I know some will say that being able to do so is an indication of a good amp, well although true to an extent, its not as simple as that. Great copy when you use test sines but music just doesnt behave that way. The rms content in music is much lower than you might think. IIRC NAD made a lot of noise about this in the past.

Anyway in use the characteristic of the ncore is clarity, neutrality and to be uncharacteristically subjective for me, they have a huge grip on the low frequencies.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
:)
I'm glad you chose the "sweet spot" of 250W into 4 ohms to send to @amirm for testing first! I'm very interested to see the results, as it could be a good match for my KEF LS50s :D (Yeah, I'm sure 120W into 4 ohms would be fine, but I like to know there is extra power there, especially since I listen almost exclusively to classical/opera with huge dynamic transients!)
I certainly see that as being the most popular choice, it will go loud enough for most and is what I put in my own dsp speakers.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I have some questions on the P-701.

The module specifications state a peak power output of 700W at 4 ohms for 1% THD. The dissipation curves show around 50W going up as heat at that power level. Clearly it cannot dissipate that amount of heat for an extended period. Your case could not dissipate 50W on an ongoing basis without internal temps skyrocketing could it?

The continuous module rating specifies 100W. That is an enormous difference and one that needs some clarification IMO.

1545373997887.png

What is the continuous rating of your amplifier as a complete unit? The equivalent of the FTC ratings. (1/3 power preconditioning for 1 hour, then full power testing for 5 minutes)

"Section 432.2(a) of the Rule requires
that an amplifier’s rated continuous
power output per channel be
‘‘[m]easured with all associated
channels fully driven to rated per
channel power.’’ [Emphasis added.]
This continuous measurement
represents the maximum per-channel
power an amplifier can deliver over a
sustained period of time, which the
Rule defines as five minutes."

Last edited:
OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I have some questions on the P-701.

The module specifications state a peak power output of 700W at 4 ohms for 1% THD. The dissipation curves show around 50W going up as heat at that power level. Clearly it cannot dissipate that amount of heat for an extended period. Your case could not dissipate 50W on an ongoing basis without internal temps skyrocketing could it?

The continuous module rating specifies 100W. That is an enormous difference and one that needs some clarification IMO.

View attachment 19200

What is the continuous rating of your amplifier as a complete unit? The equivalent of the FTC ratings. (1/3 power preconditioning for 1 hour, then full power testing for 5 minutes)

"Section 432.2(a) of the Rule requires
that an amplifier’s rated continuous
power output per channel be
‘‘[m]easured with all associated
channels fully driven to rated per
channel power.’’ [Emphasis added.]
This continuous measurement
represents the maximum per-channel
power an amplifier can deliver over a
sustained period of time, which the
Rule defines as five minutes."

The data I have is from Hypex, and openly available as you have found. This is what I publish. This is why Independant measurements of a finished product are required such as hopefully Amir will do soon.

Now I actually have the units I will be testing myself, including thermal, but Independent is better.

However I would ask a simple question. How representative is a continuous tone test compared to music? Music simply does not have the same rms level and is far more transient in nature. The continuous test is interesting from a technical POV, but not representative of real world usage where transient is far more relevant.

I have actually been using the 252 for some time in my dsp speakers. Heatsinking is just a flat plate maybe 350mm x 200mm. And even when blasting (and yes they go very loud) the temp gets to around 40 deg c.

Class D does dissapate more power than people think, it's efficient, but still. However real world it's not a massive issue.

Last edited:

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm kind of wanting some of these, and don't really need them. Hopefully lots of people will feel this way.

Count me in. I already have the NC400 monoblocks I built from the kit and I still want these.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
To be honest, these are the only amplifiers I have actually got excited about for a long time. I think Alan is onto something and has carefully evaluated his potential market before taking this leap.

However I would ask a simple question. How representative is a continuous tone test compared to music? Music simply does not have the same rms level and is far more transient in nature. The continuous test is interesting from a technical POV, but not representative of real world usage where transient is far more relevant.

Absolutely true and we all know that, but the standard has been (and rigorously specified since 1974) continuous RMS power, from 20-20KHz (or whatever) both channels (or whatever number) driven at xx% THD from 250mW to rated power.

It levels the playing field and I know you are all about that. :)

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Just for interest below are few examples of music and its actual RMS level.

AC/DC Highway to hell - (Not trying to avoid compressed music :) )
Average RMS (if thats not a contradiction) -12dB
1545377975040.png

Abba Dancing Queen......yes I know Im sorry I like Abba. All credibility gone
-17dB
1545378154146.png

John Schofield - Three Sisters
-15dB
1545378265669.png

Stevie Ray Vaugh and Albert King Stormy Monday
-12dB
1545378358187.png

Gary Burton Quartet last snow